Eunos Roadster - Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Re: Eunos Roadster - Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Postby OldSpice » Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 am

Aye. :shock:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Scotty Dugg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am

Update:

Spent the majority of the weekend past sorting out the car, ready for the Gathering at Braemar, on the Sunday.

Firstly, removing, cleaning and refitting the passenger electric window as it was slow as! It's improved but I think the motor has all but given up. Refitted door weather seals using gutter sealant of the "non-hardening" variety, hopefully it does better than the silicone used last time.
ImageMX5 NA 05/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Also fitted my new door cards, supplied by mx5mods and the Jass Performance door pulls. Both are excellent pieces of kit and really improve the interior which was starting to look a little tired. Also fitted; Jass Performance sport gear knob, Vent Surrounds, HVAC Knobs and Handbrake Handle.
Fitted the Carbon surround to the gauges and Jass Performance brushed needle cap covers:
Also deleted the charcoal canister, no photos of this, but there's plenty guides around for those interested. It's exposed some corrosion in the engine bay that'll need some sorting sooner rather than later.

Also fitted some window toggle switches to match the rest of my switch gear, another Facebook 2nd hand purchase:
Next steps for the interior are flock the gauge cowl and try dying the seats as they are really letting it down now.

Went to the gathering on the Sunday, met up with the Grampian bunch for a run to Braemar beforehand. It was absolutely roasting, so a great day for it in the end.
ImageMX5 OC Gathering 05/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX5 OC Gathering 05/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Got to say, loving the new ND RF, I think it'd be the one I chose if given the option.

Will post up the photos I took on the day, didn't take too many in the end as I had to leave early. Missed the results of the judging!

This weekend I'm finally taking the car down to our new house. Me and a mate are going to drive down at the weekend, trying to catch as many good roads as possible, but I'll save that for a future update (I hope it makes it).

Cheers,
Scott
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Scotty Dugg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:46 am

The time finally rolled round that the car was finished and ready to be driven from my parents to my new house, roughly 160 miles. So what do you do; stick your friend on the insurance, plan a road trip with a route that collects some of the best driving roads you know (roughly 380 miles) and watch as the weather decides to throw a yellow warning for rain.......maybe not that last part.

The route took us up to Inverness, across to Applecross and down the west coast to Glasgow, passing through Fort William and Glencoe. We managed about 70% with the roof down, before the rain really started.

Just after Inverness:
ImageMX-5 Road Trip by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Halfway up the road to Applecross:

Obligatory Applecross sign photo:

Eilean Donan Castle (Near Isle of Skye):

Only major issue is that the alignment is suicidal in standing water of any depth, so that's on the list next. It's done 1100+ miles since the engine swap and hasn't used any coolant or oil in that time.

No major updates to come, just fix a few niggles and get out and enjoy it over summer.

Thanks for reading.
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:23 pm

If only a Roadster could talk?
It would say:
" Thanks Scottie, I'm ever so greatful" :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Scotty Dugg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:52 pm

It’s been a while since an update, but I’ve been using the car as my daily driver and been on a few local runs, Mrs.scottydugg has declared her love for the car so that’s an unexpected bonus.

I’ll try keep this in order as best I can and keep the waffle to a minimum. After a nail in the tire caused a flat, I decided I’d best get the Vredstein’s swapped over from my spare wheels, to replace the cracked Avons.
Probably a good thing I did, worth noting this is the front tyres and the wear is on the outside edge.....
ImageMX5 08/18 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
So that’ll be needing an alignment:
3 degrees of toe in, that’ll be why it was suicidal in the wet. Sadly rear camber bolts are all seized so rear camber is immovable for now, but it isn’t chewing through tyres currently. What a difference it’s made, feels like a different car, doesn’t under steer a beast anymore. Top ti: get your alignment checked!
As some may know, I picked up a “Magic” ARC chamber for a bargain off ebay, so thought I’d set about fitting it to my Randall setup:
This is just version1.0 for the brackets, but it’s all fitted securely enough for now. Feedback on the new arrangement, it’s changed the exhaust tone marginally and it’s certainly smoother lower in the rev range. Is it faster I hear you cry? Maybe, it feels it, but whether that’s the alignment inspiring confidence or the ARC I’m not sure. Is it worth picking one up cheap? Yes it is.
Fitted the Ford washer jets, very misty a worthwhile mod:
Had fitted a fancy DAB/Bluetooth/handsfree head unit so sourced and fitted a microphone so all features worked:
Mid Install:
Microphone position:
Seems to work with the roof up, haven’t tried with the roof down yet.
Whilst the interior was in bits, decided to fit my Moss short shifter and Jass top rubber, as well as refresh the oil (the oil was only 2000/3000 miles old):
I’ve read mixed reviews on the short shifter, my OEM shifter had been rebuilt with new everything 2000miles ago but it never felt “rifle bolt” tight. The short shifter has made the gearshift much more like what I was expecting, it’s not notchy either as most people say, another worthwhile mod.
Finally, changed the brake and clutch pedal rubbers, and fitted my “project52” sticker I got made months ago:

Next on the list is to rebuild the spare set of calipers and fit with new discs/braided lines, the current brake arrangement doesn’t feel very confidence inspiring and could use some love. After that it’s underseal any areas needing attention and sort the rear camber bolts.
Thanks for reading,
Scott.
Scotty Dugg
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery