Door speakers

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Door speakers

Postby graeme » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:02 pm

Anyone got recommendations for replacement door speakers? I also have a 40mm speaker in the top of the door. Anyone replaced these? The head unit is a Sony, but I doubt that that makes any real difference.
graeme

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:19 pm

A year ago I replaced the door speakers on the Mk1 with a pair of Sony speakers, I found them quite good, made quite a bit of difference but they would as the original ones had holes in them. The Hi-Fi buffs will probably say you need other (more expensive) ones but the Sony ones were fine for me.
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:40 pm

I heard the ' Riesen ' one's from Maplin were quite good, so I've just bought two sets of 4" ones for the headrests, fitted them tonight and they sound great.

Tom.
Tom

Postby lochpark » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:00 pm

I have Sony's in the doors as well, bought some tweeters to go with them, just not got around to fitting them yet.

Like you Tom I put these in my headreasts a couple of months ago, marked improvement from the rectangular paper things that were in there.

Can't help but think there are still better out there though :?:
lochpark

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:05 am

Might seem like a silly one, Graeme, but have you tried halfords or the like. When I was buying new speakers for Barbara's car, the shop was quiet so they let me pump up the volume on different set-ups, ended up going for a Clarion set.

Are speakers a bit like everything else, a few companies making them then badged for others???

Shaun I'm just grateful I can hear music with the top down now, my original headrest speakers had already been removed! :?
Tom

Postby Richardn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:07 am

Biggest problem I found was getting one to align with the holes.

Ended up with a universal (Sony IIRC) from Halfords. 2 holes align and as the rim is plastic easy to make a 3rd.

Plastic cone so no problems in the future
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Hieland Lad » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:30 pm

I just fitted Infinity 17cm Reference series speakers in the front of my MK1. Got them from Halfords as they have a 10% off everything deal on just now. Compared with the originals, they are Back To The Future loud. :shock:
Hieland Lad

Postby MichaelG » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:16 pm

I put the infinitys in my car too.....only porblem is they cost ?70!!! but what a difference!!

Mike
MichaelG

Postby graeme » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:22 pm

Can someone tell me if these would fit in the door of a Mk1 with no or little messing about?

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_det ... =0&cat=315

My head unit has the following info:

Impedance 4-80 ohms
50W x 4 output
Signal to noise 90dB
Frequency response 10 - 20,000Hz

I have no idea what any of that means. All I know is that whatever I currently listen to, it sounds like the Flatulence Symphony. What I like most of all about these is the price.
graeme

door speakers

Postby rockdoc » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 pm

Yep - i fitted a pair of themin my mk1 last month , no problems :P
rockdoc

Postby Richardn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:49 pm

Those are the ones I put in the Mariner when I had it!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:52 pm

Fitted a pair of those speakers in my Mk1 last year, easy to fit and makes a difference.

As far as the specifications of your head unit you have fitted, it's quite standard. The impedance is ok for just about any speaker you could find, output of 50W means that your new speakers will be ok as they can handle 160W, the frequency response is also fairly standard, what they don't mention is that the human ear usually can't hear down to 10Hz or as high as 20,000Hz, your dog might though. :shock: :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby stratos_blue » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:12 pm

As a Hi-Fi buff we used to talk about this type of thing fairly often , albeit in a domestic sense not auto. Anyway first impulses used to be always to change speakers if you wanted improvement in sound quality . However , this changed to people realising the speakers could only be as good as the source feeding them hence putting as much money as you could afford into the source ( CD player ) ensuring that the best possible signal was sent via your amp to the speakers became the way to gain real improvements. I can vouch for this personally as my speakers at home which are mid price have astounded me with their performance with each upward increment in CD player and amplification ( better clarity, more depth ). Not sure what the auto audiophiles will think of this , I'd never be a full on boom box sort of motorist but i do love music and like it sounding as good as poss . Has anyone used this route to better sound quality instead of going straight to a speaker change ....?
There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.
stratos_blue

Postby graeme » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:29 pm

Phil wrote:the human ear usually can't hear down to 10Hz or as high as 20,000Hz, your dog might though. :shock: :lol:

Hmm... so for full value for money I should buy these and a dog? :lol:
graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:30 pm

stratos_blue wrote: Has anyone used this route to better sound quality instead of going straight to a speaker change ....?

I appreciate what you're saying, but in my case no new head unit would solve the problem of it sounding like every song/radio programme is being farted instead of sung/spoken. It's definately poorly speakers!
graeme

Postby stratos_blue » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:45 pm

Keep us posted Graeme , I'd be interested to know how you get on with this .
There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.
stratos_blue

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:23 pm

What sort of dog are you thinking of getting. :D :D :D 8)
Phil

Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

Postby graeme » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:53 pm

Phil wrote:What sort of dog are you thinking of getting. :D :D :D 8)

I've got one already. It's a green VW Polo :roll:
graeme

Postby mgrays » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:51 pm

IMHO the Sony head unit will limit things a lot .. they are nicely made with maybe the best ergonomics.. but the CD is woolly and flat... saying that a move up from the basic paper coned stock speakers probably is the first move. CD players that work are Alpine, Becker and probably Nakamichi (sp?!!) .. but they are all lots of dosh relatively .. the rest all use generic CD transports as opposed to making their own.

JBL do a good budget speaker, Infinity sound a little bit thinner but not by much.. then I went to Misson secondhand (had a Genesis 100 amp by then) but the cones got damp in Argyll and died.. so went onto Dynaudio which are real nice but eyewatering price.. the Dynaudio comes with a big tweeter that fits in the Japan market mount behind the mirror on the top rail of the door...

Anyway.. vote for JBL .. and then change the head unit if you can justify it in a car that is inherently not the best place to list to music.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby MichaelG » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:18 pm

I would go straight for the speaker change personally! I had standard speakers in my doors which were buggered. I put in the infinity?s and it sounded a hell of a lot better!

Just recently I have put in new speaker cable (which was easy, don?t know what all the fuss is about lol) and it sounds a hell of a lot better!

I am also sound deadening the doors to stop so the rattling which is proving to be the hardest part because I don?t want to put to much weight into them!

Cheers
Mike
MichaelG

Return to ICE and Music