Solution to a flashing ERR desperately needed

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Solution to a flashing ERR desperately needed

Postby Hamster » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:39 pm

OK - so I know I'm in trouble - the battery was dead - the radio code was lost - I tried the last 4 digits of the VIN without success expecting to have two more attempts and then - horror of horrors I got the dreaded flashing ERR after just one attempt at entering the code!!!

Surely there must be a solution to making the radio on my MK 2.5 work (audio type B unit).

It's a perfectly good unit - but the code never came with it (I'm the third owner) and now I'm supposed to believe the unit is useless. NO WAY.

Surely somebody somewhere knows how to bypass this and make the thing work. Mazda should be shot for making security that deprives the owner of his own radio.

There must be a sequence of buttons you press to make it burst into life again. Please help.

To be honest - if I have to buy a new unit because of this I'll never buy another Mazda again - I'm seriously P****d off.

Helpful suggestions very gratefully received. If worst comes to the worst - how much is a new unit anyway.
Hamster

Re: Solution to a flashing ERR desperately needed

Postby sarahlc » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Hamster wrote:Mazda should be shot for making security that deprives the owner of his own radio.

To be honest - if I have to buy a new unit because of this I'll never buy another Mazda again - I'm seriously P****d off.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is not restricted to just Mazda, car manufactures have been pass code protecting head units for years, all it ever seems to do is cause hassle for the owner.
If it comes to the worst a new head unit will only cost about £80-£100 for a reasonable CD/mp3 unit.
Sorry I can't help further, hope you manage to get it sorted.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Stonehaven » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 am

Your local dealer will be able to give you / get you the code from the VIN if the radio was the one fitted in the first place - they may charge a fee of about £25 or if they are nice £0.

Otherwise look at ebay for decode options - some can be done with software, some by email a few you send the unit away e.g. Alfa Alpines!

example here for £10 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-Radio-Code-Decode-Service-2192-RT-9418G-MX5_W0QQitemZ350148700152
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Postby Dot and Chas » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:53 am

Theres a thread on MSE re radio codes and theres a guy on there who can get codes.He also had a solution for someone whose radio was locked out,so maybe can help you.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... 827&page=3

HTH
Chas............Fire up the Z-Sport!

Get Busy Living!!!!
Dot and Chas
OC Member
Dot and Chas
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Colin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:12 am

If you suffered the same problem as I did several months ago with my mk2.5, the problem is not getting hold of a code to put in it, it's trying to get the Err message to clear so that you get the chance of trying another code.

Fear not! If this is the case, pm me and I'll tell you the solution which will only cost you £30.

On a more general point, you have to be careful about mentioning security issues on a public forum. Mentioning the security coding Mazda uses makes all MX-5's more vulnerable to the theft of an ICE system.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby potuks » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I recently had this problem with my radio on my mk2.5. Luckily enough i got the dealership that i bought it from to fix it but, the following procedure should work also!

1. Press preset 6,
2. Press AM,
3. Press Auto M,
4. Press Seek ^ (up).

You should now have ---- displayed on your screen. Now you can enter the master reset code.

5. Enter 4989.
6. Press and hold Auto M and Preset 6 together.
7. You should see the word 'GOOD' on the screen.

I'm not too sure about the master code. It didn't work for mine, but then the dealership said that my radio was from another car and that the code was different from what they were expecting. Maybe someone can advise you on other master codes to try.
potuks

Solution to flashing ERR

Postby Hamster » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Many thanks for all your help folks.

Especially to Potuks who has at least got me as far as being able to enter codes again.

However -as he feared, his master code doesn't work - so I now need to get some alternative master codes.

I could pay money to try and get it sorted but there's a principle at stake here - namely - it's my radio and I shouldn't have to fork out for the privilege of using it because a succession of dealers didn't check that the code was with the car. They don't deserve to get paid for being incompetent in the first place.

Last four (or any four) numbers in the VIN don't work.

I also managed to trace the last owner who didn't know the code either.

If some one wants to do a good deed for the day and Private Mail me with a master code or two then that would be fantastic - that way we can maintain security for everyone and I get to play music again. Any other helpful suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help so far.

Hamster
Hamster

Postby leemidgley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 pm

I have the same ERR issue with my mx5 2002 arizona, any other master codes I can try?

Thanks,
Lee.
leemidgley

Postby Richardn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:15 pm

it is often worth a call to the original dealer if you know who they are, they usually have a record of it
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby airmiles19 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:45 pm

try 6 am seek memory insert code 14141
work with Mazda mx5 2002
airmiles19

Postby liathach » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Original post dated 2009!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby BEARE » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks potuks for your post!

I know I am bringing up an old thread but I just wanted to let everybody know that the master code worked for me on my MK3 2009 Ford Ranger 2.5 TDCI!

I was searching the net for a solution to this problem with absolutely no luck, all I could find was references to 7 digit radio serial numbers starting with M or V but my Ford Ranger radio only has a 6 digit serial no.

Anyway, you saved me a lot of time effort & money with this solution. Thanks again!
DAN.
BEARE

Return to ICE and Music