More bass needed. Help.

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

More bass needed. Help.

Postby steveti » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:25 pm

As a relative moron when it comes to In car audio I need some help and advice about the best way to improve my current set up.

I've replaced the factory unit of my 2.0 sport NC with a Pioneer DEH-P77MP unit that I had in my NB. The speakers I had in my NB were Pioneer TS-A2010 units, these coupled with the afore mentioned headunit was quite adaquate for my needs, however these speakers do not fit in the NC as they are to deep and foul the runner for the window, to space them out so that they clear the runner, the door card would not fit.

I've now got a pair of Hertz ECX 570's in the doors but am disapointed by the overall volume I can get and the lack of bass produced. There are obvious space limitations for installing a woofer set up.

Is their anyone with a bit of ICE experience and know how who could offer some advice top improve my setup. As before bear in mind I am a complete novice when it comes to ICE, never installed an amp or suchlike before.

All and any help very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.
steveti

Postby lowflyer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Steve

How about some of these

http://onephoto.ru/images/2008060719152 ... 5_2sub.jpg

just wish I could find out where to source them, but I have had no success doing the usual searches, maybe they are just mocked up for the pic

atb
john
lowflyer

Postby steveti » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Those look good, I'm assuming they would purely operate as woofers? I did consider mounting my Pioneers in there but not quite enough room- damn!
steveti

Postby steveti » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Mmm. 90 views, one reply :( , thanks Lowflyer appreciated. No other ICE buffs out there with alternative options/views?

Steve.
steveti

Postby Michelle T » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Michelle T

Postby steveti » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks for that,

I'll look into this a bit deeper, no pun intended.

Steve.
steveti

Postby Richardn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:20 am

One good place to start is using Dynamat in the doors. It will stop the speakers rattling the doors and that will improve the sound
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby steveti » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Cheers Richard,

Doors rattling has never been a problem, but never the less having dynamatted the doors on my Mk2.5 I know it does add a bit of stability and does 'tighten everything up, so was one of the first jobs done.

Part of the problem with the mk 3 is the depth of speaker that can go in the door, this is limited severely by the window guide rail running straight through the centre line of where any speaker, fitted in the standard hole would go (I don't really want to start chopping door cards and door panels) my old pioneers in the 2.5 were 20cm but had a depth of nearly 100mm, so moved a fair old bit of air, hence were pretty good at low frequencies. I think the deepest that I can get in the mk3 are about 64mm - so a fair old difference in air moved. Don't get me wrong, the Hertz speakers are really good quality but just don't have enough oomph and I'm a bit of a coward, i.e. clueless when it comes to fitting additional amps.

Cheers,

Steve.
steveti

Postby mgrays » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:53 pm

I was always going to fit enclosures behind the door speakers .. this will boost the effectiveness of air movement and low frequency response I think.. but the subs in the cubby holes seems a sound way to go.. but still never convinced by subs as a product..
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby steveti » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:38 am

mgrays wrote:I was always going to fit enclosures behind the door speakers .. this will boost the effectiveness of air movement and low frequency response I think.. but the subs in the cubby holes seems a sound way to go.. but still never convinced by subs as a product..

Agreed, would love to get some details of the subs for the cubby holes. There is an article on the MX5 forum, where some guys in (Malasia, I think) have done this, but the details are a bit sketchy. Looks like its a custom jobbie but looks good none the less and I'm sure would ramp up the overall volume at motorway speeds ++ which is really what I'm looking for a I'll be doing a couple of runs to South Devon this year to visit my Bro. Can't come soon enough!!!
steveti

Return to ICE and Music