Headrest speakers

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Headrest speakers

Postby Rostra » Sat May 31, 2008 11:55 am

Hi Guys - picking your brains again. But you've collectively got plenty to spare, methinks! :lol:

Speakers in my headrests are disintegrating into their component atoms. Replacements from MX5 parts are £69.95 for a pair, Four OEM replacement speakers from Open Top Sounds are £30.99 the lot. Quite a difference!

Has anybody installed the cheaper ones? Any comments? Seems to me that £140 for a bit of ambient sound is rather steep.

Look forward to receiving the benefit of your experience.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Postby Robin » Sat May 31, 2008 12:28 pm

Angie.
I've the same set up..and they are very poor now for two reasons. Firstly, they were (I was told) cheap & nasty from new...and aged now so even worse, so I won't be buying OEM. After essential repairs..I will be getting JVC's from MX5 parts..unless anyone steers "us" elsewhere...but I will not be fitting nasty originals. I recall someone suggesting Pioneers a good while back.
Robin

Headrest speakers

Postby Rostra » Sat May 31, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks for the warning, Robin, but £140 is an awful lot to spend - are the Pioneers any cheaper?
Rostra

Postby gm » Sat May 31, 2008 3:03 pm

i fitted these sony 3.5inch speakers to my '97 mk1 which had no speakers in the detachable headrests

this pic shows the difference in size between the 4inch speakers (right) which didn't quite fit and the 3.5inch size (left) that did.

i wired them into the rear speaker outputs on the stereo - sound is not bad but the balance faders needs to be set quite far to the rear to get an even sound.

cost around £10 a pair off ebay
gm

Postby sarahlc » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:23 am

I have a set of these http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/388
from MX5 parts in each head rest, they are great, in fact I must get round to doing the door speakers as the originals just can not keep up with the headrest speakers even with the more rear bias.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Headrest speakers

Postby Rostra » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Just fittd killer 180W Alpine speakers in my headrests .... it's all part of my cunning disguise.

A very tight squeeze. They come with a ring to hold them away from the headrest cover and need a hole carving in the foam. There's no way of fixing them so I soldered the connections (in case of vibrations) and wedged them in place, then fought with the zip until I got it closed again.

The sound is AWESOME. :D :D :D
Rostra

Postby The Pram » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Is it possible to fit speakers into the headrests of a mk2.5 seat then?
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby IanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Is it possible to fit speakers into the headrests of a mk2.5 seat then?

What? Speakers in the headrest and the windblocker, you're greedy 8)

I think there would need to be some serious reconstructive surgery as there is no zip option on the 2.5 so you would have to cut, scoop, wire, fit and close I guess :(
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby The Pram » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Let me think about that.............I'll settle for windblocker alone then. Who wants to be greedy :wink:
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Headrest speakers

Postby Rostra » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:15 am

The Pram wrote:Let me think about that.............I'll settle for windblocker alone then. Who wants to be greedy :wink:

For 'Greedy' read 'Ambitious'
How about getting rhoddy to make you some headrest covers WITH A ZIP!!! I'm sure he'd find a market for them - headrest speakers should be a standard fit in everything.

rhoddy - you listening??
Rostra

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:53 am

The Pram wrote:Is it possible to fit speakers into the headrests of a mk2.5 seat then?

Lorraine,
If you can wait a few weeks, you can try the Mk2.5 windblocker (with built in speakers) I had fitted to the MK1 (courtesy of DH & Lochpark) at a tech day last year. It also has the OEM wiring loom which requires extended with an OEM wire kit the the head unit. How effective they are (given they point straight into the back of the headrest) I cannot say.
It became clear why the Mk1's have cockpit brace fitted...which I fortunately kept since the old thing shudders & shakes considerably more.
I must refit it and attempt to make a Plexiglass windblocker this summer with "BMW" (Halfords) storage nets on it. The risk is spending around £36.00 on completing the wiring loom..and then not being happy with the sound.
PM me and let me know.
Robin

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 am

Robin wrote:
The Pram wrote:Is it possible to fit speakers into the headrests of a mk2.5 seat then?

Lorraine,
If you can wait a few weeks, you can try the Mk2.5 windblocker (with built in speakers) I had fitted to the MK1 (courtesy of DH & Lochpark) at a tech day last year. It also has the OEM wiring loom which requires extended with an OEM wire kit the the head unit. How effective they are (given they point straight into the back of the headrest) I cannot say.
It became clear why the Mk1's have cockpit brace fitted...which I fortunately kept since the old thing shudders & shakes considerably more.
I must refit it and attempt to make a Plexiglass windblocker this summer with "BMW" (Halfords) storage nets on it. The risk is spending around £36.00 on completing the wiring loom..and then not being happy with the sound. Don't want to waste your time regarding sound Lorraine, and so if anyone has an opinion, feel free to reply to my post with your experiences.
Robin

Postby IanH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:30 pm

How about getting rhoddy to make you some headrest covers WITH A ZIP!!! I'm sure he'd find a market for them - headrest speakers should be a standard fit in everything.

Problem is the 2.5 does not have separate headrests they are an integral part of the seat so any attempt to put them in means dismantling or butchering the seat itself :(
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

seats

Postby rhoddy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:19 pm

hi guys, yeah with this model of seat with the headrest and seat cover all in one / the whole cover would need to be removed to fit the speakers, roughly take 2 hours to remove and fit again.
rhoddy

Postby Rostra » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:03 pm

[quote="IanHProblem is the 2.5 does not have separate headrests f :([/quote]

Ooops - betraying my ignorance. I've never looked closely at a modern 5 as I knew I would never be able to buy one. :cry:

Still, I have heard it said that the first Mk1 was the best..... :lol: You don't get them a lot earlier than October 89!
Rostra

Postby IanH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Still, I have heard it said that the first Mk1 was the best.....

All Marques (including the MKIII, cough) are good in their own right 8)

It may have been mentioned to you previously and I don't know which particular year your one is but has the crank pulley been checked to see if is an unfettled short nose one? See link below.

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby Rostra » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 am

IanH wrote:
It may have been mentioned to you previously and I don't know which particular year your one is but has the crank pulley been checked to see if is an unfettled short nose one? See link below.

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Thanks Ian - something for me to worry about ... I thought it was all too good to be true. I doubt if anything has been done about it, since the previous two UK owners didn't know you should (or could) unzip the back window.

My coment about 89 5s was a joke, by the way - I have to somehow justify the fact that I can't afford a shiny new one. Note to self: Must polish up joke skills.
Rostra

Postby IanH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:16 pm

My coment about 89 5s was a joke, by the way

and taken as such... :lol: I'm no fan of Marque snobbery, if someone is happy with what they drive then that's fine by me 8)
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Re:

Postby UniiformJamie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:18 pm

gm wrote:i fitted these sony 3.5inch speakers to my '97 mk1 which had no speakers in the detachable headrests

this pic shows the difference in size between the 4inch speakers (right) which didn't quite fit and the 3.5inch size (left) that did.

i wired them into the rear speaker outputs on the stereo - sound is not bad but the balance faders needs to be set quite far to the rear to get an even sound.

cost around £10 a pair off ebay

Are those Mk2 Headrests? How did you get the cover off, I'm looking to embroider mine

Thanks
Jamie
UniiformJamie

Re: Headrest speakers

Postby gm » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:59 pm

a bit of a blast from the past there - my car was a very late model mk1 that had the same seats as mk2 cars - the headrest has a long plastic clip on the underside that can be pulled apart allowing the cover to be removed. it might be worth getting hold of a spare pair of headrests if yours are going to be off the car for a while - I can't imagine they would be expensive from a breaker. make sure to take loads of pics, it sounds like an interesting project.
gm

Return to ICE and Music