To all people with Alpine speakers

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

To all people with Alpine speakers

Postby pablo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Just wondered if there was a big difference between these speakers in terms of sound quality in an mx5/roadster?

Alpine sxs-1757
Alpine sps-171A

There's ?20 of a difference in price which I dont mind paying if they are really better but if there's not much in it I dont see the point.

Going to run them off a 2 channel RockfordFosgate amp with the head unit powering the headrests and seat thumpers.

Also, how well do the tweeters fit into the stock tweeter locations at the top of the doors?
pablo

Postby mgrays » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:20 pm

Tweeters at at top of doors are in a hollow for the nuts that hold the door mirrors on.

I had to massage the hollow and hole to fit Dynaudio tweeter.. every other tweeter I looked at was too small to fit the hole and the OEM speaker is a one part that cannot be rebuilt with the new tweeter inside it.

Don't go looking at Dynaudio .. 550 series or something.. I think they are now 4-450 a set :shock: Nicest speaker I have heard in a car but.... with all that wind noise they are wasted. I went with JBL GTO when I started on a basic speaker .. sounded not too bad and certainly nicer than the Alpine (who do great sources/head units but not much else).
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby pablo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Ah well thats interesting.

I had some Apline 6x9's in a previous car years ago then I tried phillips in a different install and they were much better.

I have got jbl gto's for the headrests so far (haven't tried them yet) but I may try the same for the doors. Price seems similar @ ?45 ish
pablo

Return to ICE and Music