Mk3 RHD base radio removal .... help needed !

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Mk3 RHD base radio removal .... help needed !

Postby BillA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi new to the club and 4 month old owner of a 2006 Mk3 2.0 sport. I received a xmas present of Pioneer double din radio. I've got all the bits to fit it (fascia plate and cables etc) BUT I need to remove to original radio. I removed the glove box (easy), removed the small side panels (moderately easy) and took out the two phillips side screws. The radio won't budge, I didn't force it in case I broke something and in the back of my mind is that I've seen posts on the LHD forums that there is a third 3rd Bolt (10mm) screwed into the left side of the radio but I can't see it . Can anyone tell me if there is another bolt I need to remove in the RHD car or is it just a bit more pressure (and courage) that's needed to pull the radio out.

BTW it's tight at the back fo the radio I am going to be creative with the cabling routing and wouldn't you know the aerial cable also needs to be extended as the socket is on the opposite side in the Pioneer unit......
BillA
OC Member
Bill Adair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Mk3 RHD base radio removal .... help needed !

Postby IanN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm

This should help you. The article is for fitting a audio link but also shows how to remove the head unit if you scroll down.

http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/Room/Topic/?topicId=9738
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Re: Mk3 RHD base radio removal .... help needed !

Postby BillA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Ian Thanks a lot, the link explains it very clearly, I just need a decent dry day to have a go at it, as I said everything was relatively easy but the bolt position threw me as I was looking from the LHS. I'll update the post when I've got it out and anything else that is unusual when fitting a new radio and not just a new connection to the original radio assembly. Thanks again.
BillA
OC Member
Bill Adair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to ICE and Music