MK3 & Ipod ...who knew it would be so hard !

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

MK3 & Ipod ...who knew it would be so hard !

Postby slartibartfast » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

We just bought a 2008 RC 2.0 Sport which has the standard head unit (not Bose) and it has what I assume is a Mazda iPod cable snuggling in the glove box.

"Great" I thought. I don't have iPods so I bought a connector to convert it to a 3.5mm plug to connect my MP3 player. The audio does play briefly for a few seconds when I select the "multi-changer" and displays "EX5" then it seems to disconnect.

I assume the head unit does not "recognise" a CD multi-changer is connected as it's only getting an audio signal and no data so stops co-operating.

Has anybody found a way round this ?

I can buy an Autolink to get round this I suppose .. or buy a Nano

It is a bit irritating I can't find any instructions about how to use the iPod connection already fitted so if anybody does have instructions I would appreciate a scan

Regards

Ian
slartibartfast
OC Member

Re: MK3 & Ipod ...who knew it would be so hard !

Postby WSBen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 pm

I think I still have the original paperwork for the Mazda fitted iPod connector in our Mk3. It may take a couple of days to find it, but if I can dig it out of the attic I will make copies of it and send them to you.
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby slartibartfast » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Good man :-)

Does it work OK ?. I see various posts on various forums suggesting the Mazda accessory wasn't great ....but then I just want it to play audio. I'm not bothered about track information / using the headunit/steering wheel controls

Ian
slartibartfast
OC Member

Postby slartibartfast » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:23 pm

As an aside if I cant sort out a sensible way to plug in an MP3 player I have one of these which works well, is easy to operate, and has a USB charging socket built in. I would just buy another for the MX5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... UTF8&psc=1
slartibartfast
OC Member

Return to ICE and Music