Headrest speakers r pants

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

Headrest speakers r pants

Postby smiles » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi guys just a quick question I have upgraded speakers In my headrests from maplin 4 inch and have discovered there pants cos every song crackles when u turn it up slightly loud and sounds crap was looking into a set from halfrauds called alpine sxe 1025s. Does anyone recommend these speaker or anybody got them and rate them well or not. I also was wondering if changing the speaker cable will improve sound quality considering its 20 year old and is it easy to trace back to the head unit and easy to replace
smiles

Re: Headrest speakers r pants

Postby DTB » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

I've no experience of those alpines but it might be worth checking the wiring if the speakers are crackling - assuming the old ones cracked before you put in the ones from maplin. At the end of the day the headrest ones are small speakers and won't give a massive sound. If you need more volume, concentrate on door speakers.

What head unit & door speaker set up are you running?
DTB

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 pm

The OEM headrest speakers were poor to begin with and age will not have improved them. Eventually the membranes fail.
I use Maplin frequently but I would not expect their "Made in Xang-Yong-Hooflungdung" speakers to be great.
I'd ditch the Maplin stuff, and fit these.
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/headrest-speakers-p-388.html
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby intibet23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:03 am

To be honest you can fit the best speakers in the world and they will sound crap if you don't have good power amp. Most head units will not do this. Fit a separate amp under the passenger seat & dynamat your doors at the very least. Head rest speakers usually only good for background fill.

I run alpine head unit
8" focal polyglass door speakers
Doors lined with dynamat extreme and dynaliner
Jl audio 400w amp under my passenger seat

Fantastic sound and kicks the ass of any BOSE upgrade.
intibet23
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby smiles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 am

at present im running sony bluetooth xplod unit. Standard door speakers no soundproofing and now vibe 4" headest speakers that crackle after volume level 18-20. To fit new door speakers and install soundproofing do i need to remove the window motors or regulators or remove glass as i hate window mechanics?
smiles

Postby intibet23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 am

Replacing door speakers like for like size wise, would only require door cards to be removed. You can also do a decent soundproof with minimal upheaval . I've used a Sony xplode before in my old Mini Cooper and got a decent sound with no amp. I can't remember the settings on the head unit but I'd fade most of the sound to the door speakers and see if that sorts out your crackling. I don't do wiring so can't really comment. I got a bloke to do mine as i had an amp fitted, however I'm sure it's simple enough if you know what you are doing.
intibet23
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DTB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

As above, an amp will make a big difference. Even a cheap amp will. Car audio centre have been quite cheap in my experience, and very helpful on the phone. Those original door speakers really need to go. That will give you a noticeable improvement in sounds quality, and pop in an amp as intibet23 suggests. One of the benefits of the small cabin size of the MX5 is that you don't need to spend a lot of money on big capacity stuff to have good quality sounds. In an ideal world every journey would be open top back road drives with the exhaust/engine as your soundtrack. But this is Scotland and when it's pouring rain or you're stuck in low traffic, you will be glad you upgraded!

I replaced the wiring in mine but I can't say it made any difference and it was a pain in the arse to do.
DTB

Postby smiles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

I'll not bother with wiring can't be bothered sound like alot of work o
For nothing. I'll buy a cheap amp and door speakers and see if it makes a difference. Any ideas on door speaker?and what size they r to save me taking the cover off lol I'm lazy
smiles

Postby joeytalent » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

6.5"
joeytalent

Postby smiles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Kl cheers do I just run the front speakers straight from the amp? It's been over 6 years from wiring up amps and stuff. Thanks
smiles

Postby DTB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:00 pm

The way I would do this is connect a 2 channel amp to your head unit cia the sub output. Run the new front speakers from the amp. Run your headrest speakers directly from your head unit. You can use your fader to control the level to your headrest speakers so they are not overloaded is you are putting a bit of oooomph through your door speakers.

You could put in a 4 channel amp and run the headrest speakers through that but that's overkill in my opinion. Your head unit can handle them easily enough meaning you can buy a cheaper, smaller amp.

Just my opinion though...
DTB

Postby intibet23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm

DTB wrote:The way I would do this is connect a 2 channel amp to your head unit cia the sub output. Run the new front speakers from the amp. Run your headrest speakers directly from your head unit. You can use your fader to control the level to your headrest speakers so they are not overloaded is you are putting a bit of oooomph through your door speakers.

as above.

I fitted a 4 channel with the idea of adding a SUB, which i never did. If you get the front speakers right with a 2 channel amp & some dynamat soundproofing, you will feel the bass vibrating your knees. An Amp will also give great benefit with roof down, giving you the power to still hear the full range of music you are listening to.

i would recommend this, however a cheaper altenative would be sufficient if budget is limited.

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/xd200-2-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98260
intibet23
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby smiles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Someone mentioned fitting one under the passenger seat. I had a look underneath the seats and I would be struggling to fit a pen under my seat as there is a pointless metal plate underneath that looks like its designed to fit there to stop anyone adding a amp. I'm thinking of mounting it behind the seats
smiles

Postby DTB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 pm

intibet23 wrote:i would recommend this, however a cheaper altenative would be sufficient if budget is limited.

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/xd200-2-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98260

Very nice! My budget was limited though :(

I got this (although not from this supplier - I've no experience of buying from here)
http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/kenwood-kac5204-stereobridgeable-power-amplifier-p-4756.html

I can't really fault it. It does everything I need it to in the 5.

I put it in the boot. It's very easy to run the wiring from the head unit back to the amp and then forward again to the speakers, and it's convenient to tap into the battery. The only thing to be cautious of is not running the amp to head unit alongside the aerial wire because that can cause interference.
DTB

Postby smiles » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:56 am

Kl thanks for that advice I would be mounting it behind passenger side seat. I have asked to have a look at this tomoz it's just the amp I'm after the owner is after £30 but the owner is female and doesn't know what power it has I'm looking to run just the door speakers on it what figures am I looking for ax she says it has number on it but doesn't know what is what and on not very sure either was into audio when I was younger and knew a bit more but it all confuses me now lol. Any idea what will handle these speaker
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1
Thanks
smiles

Postby smiles » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 am

This is what she has no idea what its watt is but ill hopefully find out but will it run the speakers above and if unsure what figures am i looking for on the amp?
http://m.gumtree.com/vibe-slick-sub-and ... Vibe%20amp
smiles

Postby smiles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:32 am

Right got my amp just getting wiring and speakers tomoz. I was gonna mount it behind the passenger seat but I know the fuel tank is behind there. Is the fuel tank or any wires right behind the metal plate was going to mount it on that plate with a few self tapping screws am I safe to go ahead or is there anything close behind it? Thanks
smiles

Postby smiles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Anyone
smiles

Postby DTB » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Self tapping behind drivers side should be fine. Or you could fix it to the slopey bit in the boot behind the seats. It's up out of the way there, gets plenty of air to keep things cool, and it's easy enough to run the wires through to the cab. There's a gap in the upper corner behind the passenger seat - which is where I ran mine.
DTB

Postby smiles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 pm

I have a lot of condensation in the boot and gets quite damp so would rather keep it in the cabin where I still get a bit condensation aswell but not nearly as bad. If worst came to the worst and the amp got damp would it blow the fuse or go on fire if it had power to it.
smiles

Next

Return to ICE and Music