Bike races...I hate them

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Bike races...I hate them

Postby Kaypee » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:42 pm

Had to have a rant and clear the air. Just picture it last Sunday...glorious day me and missus coming back from Huntly to Aberdeen decide - hood down - to take the Alford Road. Just the biz thinks me....nah nah. Deeside Thistle Cycle Club have other ideas. About four miles out of Huntly me and about 15 others get stuck behind about 20 racing cycles, a course car and four service cars all driving in close convoy about 20 miles per hour. If you want to overtake then you have to go for the whole set. The only good thing was that the car in front of me was a neat little blue Eunos - mabye we can call it a North of Scotland outing! - None of the other drivers seemed too upset except for a local farmer who just about wiped himself out, all the cyclists and an oncoming car as he vented his frustration on his Corsa horn. I eventually manged to get past eight of the other frustrated members of the public and couldn't get past the convoy till about Mossat!!! Every time an overtake was on, the course car drifted to the centre of the road to make it impossible.

Even when I did get past this mob - just beyond Mossat, I caught up with the next 20 who were racing for the finish. Once they had finished it was four abreats congratulating each other. By this time even the course car was driving down the wrong side of the road!!! On coming traffic had to stop to let them by.

I think everyone should have fun on the roads but this mob deserve stringing up. Frustrated drivers were taking stupid risks because of them and they were putting themselves at risk by their actions. Why don't they run their races off road, on closed roads or on some form of circuit. If that aint what they want to do at least make their stages short and sweet to let other motorists use the road.

Rant over....thanks I feel better now!!!!!!! :oops:
Growing old is compulsory
Growing up is optional!!
Kaypee

Postby graeme » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:26 pm

I wonder if the local constabulary know that was going on. I can't think of anyone else who would get away with that.
graeme

Postby PaulDS » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm

Local constabulary only look out for MX5's !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seem to overlook all the nutters :evil:
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby mike9jr » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:33 am

Plods too busy holding radar guns, doing paperwork or avoiding conflicts till its all over :lol: .

I have a great deal of respect for the cyclist but this sounds a bit rich to me too!!
mike9jr
OC Member

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside