North Scotland Co-ordinator - A need?

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

North Scotland Co-ordinator - A need?

Postby IanH » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:44 pm

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Kildrummy run on the 17th as my wifes relatives were invading but from the look of the pictures and reading the descriptions it looked good.

My question is whether there is a need for a North Scotland co-ordinator?

If there were more runs and meets would you attend?

Where do you live North of the line and how far would you be prepared to go?

I note there is another impromptu run being organised in August is this ad-hoc method enough or is there pent up demand?

Would you like an excuse to head out to a pub or other venue once a month when the weather and light evenings have all gone bad again?

I considered offering my services for the post earlier in the year but other commitments made it difficult at the time, these have slackened enough to potentially allow it to be considered again.

I'm based near Inverurie so it would be my preference that any monthly meetings etc would be held in this part of the NE, would that put you off?

I would like to meet up with other owners and drivers of possibly the most generally accessible 'fun' car to drive, let me know what you think.

Cheers
Ian
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby PaulDS » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:44 am

Ian, like you, I have pondered the same questions. I feel sad that we in the NE miss out on so much association because of the distances between us and the travelling to starting points. It always amazed me the effort Bill & Linda use to put in and they live a further 90 miles north than me, I just could not commit that amount of traveling time and expense at the moment, let alone the planning a checking the routes. My circumstances don't allow me to go off for all day Sunday or most Saturdays for that matter, which is why I would try to meet up after Sunday lunch when the runs were local. Although all day Saturday runs would probably be better for me. So I tend to shoot off on my own when I can with sandwiches. Sometimes I have been able to meet up with others as a last minute thing when circumstances allow, but this is few and far between. I love driving my car and we have the best roads in the country for the '5' up here but after 4 years of club membership I do wonder if there is any benefit in renewing my membership at the end of this month because apart from STHT, being so isolated the club offers me little.
I can understand why there is little interest in the club up here because we don't see enough of each other and when I have met up with the central band, being a reserved person 'breaking into' the group is very difficult and I have come away feeling quite an 'outsider'.
Now that I have had my moans and feeling sorry for myself, here is what I could do.
I could meet up on Mon,Wed or Fri nights for a chat etc., job commitments allowing, but being on the Moray Firth coast Aberdeen/Huntly/Forres would be my boundry line. I could meet up Saturdays, not necessarily for a run but just a get together for coffe and a chat. One of the best meets I have enjoyed was one Saturday morning for about 2 hours in Aberdeen with Mac, Mike9 and Paul & wife. Sundays would have to be afternoons, local and in the area.
I don't mind just meeting with one person to talk 'cars'.
Will keep an eager eye on the response to this (whatever you call it!).
Paul
Findochty.
PS sorry for the essay!
PaulDS

Postby graeme » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:15 am

I think you should think about what an area co-ordinator would be doing. In our first year as ACs we organised and recced all the runs. At the end of our time, we did very few because other people were volunteering to do them for the group. In the north, you already have that situation - people are happy to organise a run for the rest, so there is no need for the AC to do all the runs.

In the north, I would see the role of the AC as being a conduit between the members and the club and vice versa. They would be someone to keep the membership records locally and to be a point of contact for members and prospective members - to be the visible part of the club - especially on runs and the website (visible means a name and an email address, not pictures!). We attended almost every run as ACs because we felt that was part of our responsibility. However I know for certain that in certain parts of England if the co-ordinator gets no offers of a run in that month, there IS no run in that month - he doesn't get off his backside and do one himself. (Outrageous I thought, but there you go).

So, I think that the first question is "What do we want an AC to do that isn't done, or is done differently at the moment?"

Another essay!
graeme

Postby Hieland Lad » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:27 pm

I have to agree with Paul that sometimes the thought of breakng into an established group makes me feel that I would rather not bother. I went on a run with another car club a good few years ago and didn't enjoy the fact that there was a club within a club. I am sure it is not the case in this club :)

I think that an AC could do a lot of good joining MX5s up with other events e.g. the Forres Theme Day. Where organisation from the MX5 side of things would extend to finding out about the event and inviting people to have an MX5 area. People could attend with "significant others" if appropriate and there would be sufficient other attractions to keep all happy.
1990 Eunos 1.6 Roadster
Hieland Lad

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:44 pm

What anyone taking up the vacant post of North of Scotland Area Co-ordinator should bear in mind is that the majority of the club members are from around the Aberdeen/Dundee/Blairgowrie area. When Linda and I took on the position, we were the only "active" members north of that area. Then Paul became active on the forum and became our nearest club member, at a distance of 117 miles from where we live. In order to get to Stonehaven (one of our start points) for a Sunday run, we did a round trip of 320 miles, then we would do a further average 110 miles on the planned run making a total mileage of 430 miles. Now, when we took on the post, there were no offers from other members to recce or plan runs, so we actually did an average of 860 miles to recce the runs then take part in them. You don't need to be a mathematical genius to work out that in the first year we put around 10,200 miles on the clock just for runs alone. The first year's actual total mileage on the car was 22,734 miles.
But in answer to your question on "North Scotland Co-ordinator - A need?" yes, there is a need, but when you consider that most of the members that took part in the runs we organised live in what I call the east of Scotland (56 miles from Edinburgh to Dundee and 127 mile for one very active member from Aberdeen), it was better and easier for them to take part in Central Scotland runs than it would have been for them to take part in the real "North of Scotland" area we live in. The "nucleus" of the active members that attended every run organised in the north (read east) of Scotland were the lovely bunch of people that attended the Kildrummy run recently. All very supportive of the runs and the club.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:33 pm

And Graeme's comment of " However I know for certain that in certain parts of England if the co-ordinator gets no offers of a run in that month, there IS no run in that month - he doesn't get off his backside and do one himself. (Outrageous I thought, but there you go). " never applied to the North of Scotland group (or Central Scotland ever). The Scottish section of the club is first class, anyone who has ever experienced the hospitality (and the liver damaging consequences) of some of the Scottish club's weekend runs and tech days (damn it, Richard and Eileen really know how to entertain people :lol: ) will know what I am talking about.
Large (very LARGE) glasses, but only for the passengers :D , helped Linda and I through a lot of tough times. And yes, I am an absolutely crap singer when trying to sing along (very much subdued and in the background when Sandy decides to entertain us) and show Charles that there is no 'F' n 'G' in the chords). Dear god, you have no idea just how much we miss all of you. Maybe some day, in between foreign travel, we may have the pleasure of everyone's company again.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby mike9jr » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:25 am

I'm in Ellon, north of Aberdeen.
Sadly I work shifts so not all my weekends are free, also the reason I missed the Kildrummy run last weekend!

I'd be more than happy to attend more local meets in or around the Aberdeen area, as I have in the past, but also, I'm happy, and would encourage other members to make phone calls, or send emails and arrange ad hoc days out when the mood/weather takes us.

The trip Paul mentioned was just such a 'quickie' based around Duthie park, and ASDA Dyce with a HUGE shower thrown in for good measure. Marvellous!! Once Mack's finished working on his boat and gets his Greddy back things might improve a little too.

A central coordinator may make this process a little easier. One based in Inverurie would be splendid from a personal point of view!!

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby Richardn » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:06 am

Why not try to have 2 Co-cordinators in say, Elgin and Aberdeen?

1/2 the work and well spread
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:46 pm

Interesting discussion, thanks for the essays they are appreciated.

As Graeme said;

So, I think that the first question is "What do we want an AC to do that isn't done, or is done differently at the moment?"

I would be happy to take on the contact point and co-ordination role so that there is an interface in this region and help organise/publicise runs but that should certaintly not stop anyone else getting involved recceing etc.

As BillB said;

You don't need to be a mathematical genius to work out that in the first year we put around 10,200 miles on the clock just for runs alone. The first year's actual total mileage on the car was 22,734 miles.

Bill that's an impressive amount of commitment, I don't think I could even approach that singlehandedly.

As RichardN said;

Why not try to have 2 Co-cordinators in say, Elgin and Aberdeen?

Why not indeed? It is such a huge area geographically if not by actual member density, is that a workable proposition do you think? Perhaps we can resurrect the role of North Scotland AC and see if there is interest from members in the Moray Firth and further north area for activities locally? PaulDS what do you think?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby BillB » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:16 pm

Ian, it is as you say such a huge area. It may be workable with a 'central' co-ordinator acting as the conduit for the different regions within the overall area. You could as Richard says have someone from each region organising runs. We would be more than happy to organise runs in the area from Inverness north and west, and we would certainly assist and take part in runs in the Morayshire to Aberdeenshire area. I think we should give it a try.
BillB

Co-ordinator

Postby rockdoc » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:21 pm

Ian/
i,d easily help out with planning /reccying routes- being local and worked, fished , skied, hillwalked over the years (not all at same time though)- i,m pretty familiar with most of the best "driving " roads in the N.E.
Cheers Andy, (rockdoc)
rockdoc

Postby PaulDS » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:53 pm

This looks promising Guys!

Is it worth meeting up one evening to discuss?
It will be a start.

It might be worthwhile just posting a message stating you are going for a drive when ever (which I would be anyway) and seeing if anyone responds. It won't matter then if no one comes along just add to the joy.

Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby IanH » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:12 pm

I'm certaintly up for a meet sometime in the next 14 days or so, looking at the spread of parties how about a meet in Findhorn one day of the next 2 weekends?

Failing that an evening meet in the Huntly area could be a possibility?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby PaulDS » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Mon, Wed or possibly Fri evening at Huntly would be best for me.
Sat or Sun afternoons (remember this w/e is GP ).
The more turning up the better though.
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Postby mike9jr » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:22 pm

I'm in and out to Huntly fairly often at the moment so let me know when and i'll try and arrange to be there too.

Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby mgrays » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:00 pm

Mid week evenings for mini meet and gas work for me .. weekends tend to be tied up trying to get new house/shed/land up to spec for this winter... and I really do not have the time to do the full on coordinator that I might of 3-4 years ago (when I had a finished house :shock: )

Location is Auchenblae (27m south Aberdeen) but I work in south of Aberdeen so evenings post work for the mini-meet .. even Huntly could be worked in .. or Inverurie... and in the summer it works too with the light up here.

One day we can get a Tech and/or BBQ going at my place .. at the moment 90% of you would need to walk in as the road is shocking for anyone of non offroad bent .. but on a good day there is heaps of parking, views, shed etc (hey .. trying to decide where to put the 2 post ramp in :) ) .. so maybe next year for that unless I manage to surprise myself.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby mike9jr » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:13 pm

Malcolm, that sounds like an excellent idea.
Mike
mike9jr
OC Member

Postby DouglasH » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:36 pm

Hope you don't mind me adding my opinion and observations to the thread.

Firstly I have to say its great that this discussion is taking place and look forward to a positive outcome, suffice to say that any way I or Mino can help we will gladly do so.

Secondly I am saddened by the lack of response from all the Dundee and surrounding area members who have been stalwarts of the North Area events over the years, which is the reason I have not passed comment until now.
With the above in mind I would ask you to consider putting your meeting on hold until you perhaps here from some of them.

When I sent out notification e-mails of the Kildrummy Run, they went to 46 members (and 2 non members) of that total figure 34 reside in the Aberdeen/Dundee/Perth locale, (Yes Perthshire does come under the North Area post code catchment) understandably lots of people join the O.C. for their own reasons and perhaps will not wish to be involved with runs and events, but as we have found in Central Area there is also a contingent who maybe due to work commitments would prefer to attend Pub meets, which can move location month to month.
As you may well know there are quite a few North members attending Central Area events and have become good friends with myself and most of the other Central members over the past year or so and as a club member they are entitled to do this, as you are too...even when you go on holiday you can join another Area's run, (ie Peaks and Pennines) if you so desire, but you will only receive the Newsletter (unless shared as is the case just now) or correspondence for you postcode Area.

With the ever increasing sales of the Mx-5 there is probably a case for another two Areas being set up...North West Scotland and Inverness & North (which might entice the Golspie diehards back into the fold, in fact they would probably put a sign up in the front garden :lol: ) then you could go for a name change suitable to your locale.
Please remember that whatever you suggest/decide will have to go through the Area Co-ordinators Liaison:- Doris Tulley (who is also an Area Co-ordinator) Doris is aware of the North situation and is keen to get something off the ground too.

If I can help in any other way, or if you want the meeting posted on the site as a North event, or if you would like me to mail notification of your meeting (your words) to other members please let me know.
DouglasH

Postby DouglasH » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:47 pm

Postcode catchment of North Scotland Area at present...

AB-DD-HS-IV-KW-PH-ZE.
DouglasH

Postby stevieg » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:56 pm

I have the opposite problem to most, I work away during the week alot (this week in Southampton and next in London) and can't always guarantee access to the internet never mind my 5 stuck in the garage, also means I can have a lot to try and get done every weekend so don't always have a day free.

I see Mike, Andy and Mac fairly regularly and check the forums most days, I happy to help out as well when I can.

I'm sure there are enough braincells between us to get things organised.
MK2.5 S-VT Supreme (Midnight) Blue Mica
stevieg

Next

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside