Interest sought in 'Applecross run'

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Interest sought in 'Applecross run'

Postby HighlandMX5 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi there!!

:?: :?: Who fancies doing a run to Applecross :?: :?:

It's a great run out. The main road into Applecross, via the 'devils elbow' and over the summit is superb, and the road sports the highest ascent and descent within the shortest distance in the UK! (hot brakes, anyone?)

The run 'out' of Applecross via the coastal road is twisty and windy, but flat with plenty of vision, so if cornering is your thing, this could be the road for you.

The Applecross pub also does SUPERB food, is lovely and homely, cracking place for a stop.

Anyway, enough of the sales pitch, what I would like to know from you folks is who is interested, and also what date would be most suitable for you? I'm thinking that a Saturday might be good???

So if you're interested, drop a note and possible dates, we'll see what we can 'rustle up'.

Cheers,
Matt C
Fun is just the turn of a key away!!!!
HighlandMX5

Postby murwilson » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:13 pm

Always interested in these types of run.

Due to the location, for me, coming from Central Scotland, it would probably have to be an overnighter, but that's something I could easily organise myself if others just wanted a single day out.

mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby BillB » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:04 pm

Matt, sounds good. Lindfa and I are tied up for the next three weekends. (one wedding, no funerals but a necessary trip to the USA for both of us).

So any weekend after that would be great. We almost did that run two weekends ago. And we agree with you about the food at the Applecross Inn, best seafood ever (well, apart from Boston and Portland in Maine).

But count us in for the run especially if it is a Saturday (less traffic on that road, seems everybody wants to go there on a Sunday).

Regards,

Bill
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Mutleyman » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Having heard so much about the road - I'd love to go but at 219 miles from North Queensferry - I guess it's an over-nighter for me too.....
Complex Roads ~ Simply Red
Mutleyman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby HighlandMX5 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 am

Hi Folks!!

There seems to be plenty of interest!! 8)

For those who perhaps intend on staying overnight, I suggest that they take a look at the 'Applcross Inn' website. They have several B&B, and the opportunity to stop there means you can have a few drinks :wink: The also have a campsite, but the thought of MX5's towing caravans is just too much for me :cry:

I don't think they have secure parking up there, but anyone who's been will tell you that you don't need it (you practically double the population when you visit!!)

I would appreciate it if those who are interested have a quick look in their diarys and starting firing dates on the website, see what we can manage?

Bill is looking at around 21st of May? That's good for me, possibly, but it's the last weekend I'll be able to manage. Any other takers for then??
Fun is just the turn of a key away!!!!
HighlandMX5

Postby Gavin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:49 pm

There are a whole bunch of us up at Lochalsh on Saturday 7th May overnight. We might be going over there on Sunday 8th :D
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BillB » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:22 pm

Hi Gavin, I hope you are planning a two night stop if you are planning on going the whole hog an driving all the way round from Strathcarron and back across to the Achnasheen roundabout via Applecross It would be one hell of a mileage if you are planning on doing Applecross then driving all of the way back to central Scotland.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

applecross

Postby CharlesK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:27 pm

we are in ullapool this weekend, as usual around may day, so if we drag ourselves away from the music at the feis rois we no doubt will head down to Applecross for lunch and back over the bealach to ullapool

look forward to trying to persuade douglas to incorpporating applecroos into the skye trip - will leave that to you gavin but it may take more than one gin :lol:
CharlesK
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside