On a serious note re: Seagulls!!

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

On a serious note re: Seagulls!!

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:34 am

Does anyone have a good remedy for removing seagull's crap from my car. As I said in another post, their crap is usually about 75% sand and grit, so removal has to be carried out without rubbing. I had once made the mistake of trying to wash and wipe said crap from the bonnet of a metalic green landrover and took the gloss right out of the paintwork. I don't want to make the same mistake with the '5'. Also, the Nevada has a grey cloth roof and the crap leaves marks on it no matter how many times I clean it. I have tried just about every type of cleaner to no avail.
It seems that every time I wash and polish the car, the minute I take it out onto the road the seagulls target it, and believe me, we have a serious problem in Golspie with seagulls at the moment. Any suggestions or remedies for the safe removal of the crap would be most welcome.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby The Pram » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:13 am

Bill sorry I cant answer the question but I'm sure if you were to phone Rich or Clark at Polished Bliss (they said to call with any questions) they would keep you right. They may even have cleaning products that can't be bought in he usual car shops.
The number is on their website

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
The Pram

Postby Alex » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 pm

Your car is blue - they think they are over the sea when they let loose - spray it another colour!!!!!!!:lol:

OK, it's not a realistic solution, I know!

ALEX
Alex

Postby kristoff » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:09 pm

I've heard putting a wet cloth over the offending 'richard the third' and leaving it for a min or two does the trick.
Gerr on t'internet.
kristoff

Postby boydie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Pressure washer :wink:
boydie

Re: On a serious note re: Seagulls!!

Postby Danny » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:55 pm

BillB wrote:we have a serious problem in Golspie with seagulls at the moment.

Do you also have Japanese tourists in Golspie? I spotted some in Inverness last week feeding the seagulls by the river and thereby encouraging them to crap over the parked cars. Tora! Tora! Tora!
2004 1.8i Sport - Strato Blue Mica
Danny

Postby hubba64 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 pm

As far as the shitehawks in Helensburgh and Greenock are concerned the sea can be green, silver, red or metalic cow keich Vauxhall metallic....because they crap on those colours all the same.

Think the best answer is lots of water and soak the crap off rather than scrub it....early as possible too because the seagull stuff is acidic and can burn throught the lacquor coat in no time at all.

Guy :D :D :D :D :D
One good turn gets most of the blankets.

Helensburgh Camera Club
hubba64

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Very true about it being acidic, my co-worker's car got splattered while he was away on holiday, he did as you suggest and soaked it for ages using wet towels, when he finally got it all off he could not believe the damage done to the paintwork. The council put out a notice in the local press asking people not to feed the seagulls because it is encouraging them, but all to no avail. The old dears living behind us think they are cute!! They feed them three times a day.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby hubba64 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:07 am

Feed them with small sharp bits of lead at several hundred metres per second, I say!

Guy :x :x
One good turn gets most of the blankets.

Helensburgh Camera Club
hubba64

Postby poing » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:27 am

hubba64 wrote:Feed them with small sharp bits of lead at several hundred metres per second, I say!

Guy :x :x

:lol:

Or a certain type of powdered weed killer with a couple of other things mixed in (I won't say what but I'm sure google can help :wink: ) that mixed with the acid in their stomach makes them expand, a lot. Messy and cruel. And who said I'd never learn anything useful in chemistry :lol:
poing

Postby Robin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:40 am

Not to mention they are a protected species! :lol:...like our 5's I suppose.
Robin

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:19 pm

Robin wrote:Not to mention they are a protected species! :lol:...like our 5's I suppose.

Very true, unfortunately!!
BillB

Postby krol » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:24 pm

Robin wrote:
Not to mention they are a protected species! ...like our 5's I suppose.

Seagulls are not protected, thankfully. Regarded as pest species, along with carrion crows etc.
Mk2 1.8i Racing Blue
krol

Postby redhot5 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:25 pm

get a cloth and soak in warm water,then place the cloth flatly over the crap,leave for 2-3 mins then rinse of withwater and job should be agoodin :)
redhot and on fire
redhot5

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:25 pm

I remember someone that worked in the labs in an oil refinery I worked in once filled a bread roll with cardice, the seagull literally gobbled the whole roll down and exploded a few minutes later. We used to catch the new employees out when they came into the control room and left their rubber gloves lying around. We would get a lump of cardice, stick it in their rubber gloves and glue the cuffs, then send them outside to do a rush job, they would grab the gloves, stuff them in the back pocket of their overalls and a few minutes later would wonder what the bang was .
BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:35 pm

krol wrote:Robin wrote:
Not to mention they are a protected species! ...like our 5's I suppose.

Seagulls are not protected, thankfully. Regarded as pest species, along with carrion crows etc.

Not protected as such, but it is illegal to cause them any suffering.
The Law
In the UK the principal piece of legislation protecting birds is the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 and its subsequent amendments. The governing body is the Department of the Environment Food & Rural Affairs, DEFRA. In the act it states, “all wild birds, their nest and their eggs are protected by law”

However there are currently twelve exempt species including Herring gulls, Greater Black Backed Gulls, Lesser Black Backed Gulls, Feral Pigeons and Feral Doves, all of which are recognised by DEFRA as a nuisance pest. These birds may be controlled by humane methods under a DEFRA general licence.

Causing suffering to the gulls is illegal. Only the occupier or owner of a building can take action to control herring gulls. If you own or occupy a building, you can employ Seagull Deterrent Systems under a licence to take action against Herring Gulls, Greater Black Backed Gulls and Lesser Black Backed Gulls. But you are not allowed to kill them.
BillB

Postby Robin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:26 pm

That'll be that then.
Shoot 'em :wink:
Robin

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Anyone got a 410 or 9 mil with a silencer????
BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:11 pm

I believe you can get a silencer for a 9mil (garden gun as someone once described it to me) shot-gun
BillB

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside