Tyres....but not the usual :-)

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Tyres....but not the usual :-)

Postby loftladderman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:23 am

On a recent foray abroad I had an occasion to chuck the Greddy into the kitty litter.
Somewhere in there must have been a large item (which should not have been there I know).
Felt the front wheels hit something hard for sure.

After my car had been craned back off the circuit I had a good look and could see nothing at all wrong with my tyres /wheels.
I even had the Bridgstone lads check them over for me.... NOTHING !

Marshals could find nothing larger than a pebble in the kitty litter either after using rakes for 10 minutes on my exit path :-(

I then had a few more forays on track and drove over 1,300 miles back home again.

Once home I had the wheels off to clean them, and lo and behold I found a blister on the outer side wall of one of my front tyres. Small scratch only was the damage on the lip of the rim !
The blister was not large and only about the size of a 50 pence piece BUT..............
I had driven over 1,300 miles with a DODGY front nearside Tyre !!!!!!!!!!!!

At my local Quick-Fit, (Montrose) front tyres off ....the blister had vanished and the tyre looked normal now it was deflated.
Not a sign of damage inside or out !

They seemed to think the anti puncture material I always have injected into my tyres after they have been fitted was the reason why nothing untoward had happened.

Quick-Fit stabbed the dodgy tyre several times, so no one else could use it....I liked that !
erm.... I kept the undamaged one though :-)
No idea WHY as I change in pairs or do all 4 at the same time.. LOL
Now I have THAT cluttering my Garage up :-(

Needless to say I changed BOTH the front ones which had only around 2,700 miles on them. These were F1 Eagles G0 215/40Z 16" SGSD3's.
I replaced them with the same make BUT...lo and behold...they have one listed (and printed on the tyres) as "EXTRA LOAD" .
I never even knew they exisited. LOL

So worth remembering IF you run Eagle F1's or are thinking of changing to them....look for the ones that are "Extra Load" !
Wee bit dearer as 2 with balancing / valves / ECO tyre disposal / cost me
?180.00
All 4 of the NON extra load ones only cost me around ?326 as I remember in late July this year.
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

More damage !

Postby loftladderman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:40 am

An addition to the post about my tyres:

I took the Greddy into my local (St Cyrus) garage as I was too busy to do a particular job myself. (anyway it is too damned messy to DIY) LOL
This was spraying her underneath and in the box sections with Waxyoil.

While she was up on the ramp I discovered what passes for chassis rails were VERY badly dented and deformed !
Not only THAT, .....................rust had set in !
Seems like the last person who owned it had hit far too many speed humps far too hard and fast ! (I am not taking the blame for that damage...LOL)

I arranged for them to cut the rusty bits out (not very much...but enough).
I had metal plates cut to shape / size and welded into the rails as required.
I then had angle irons butted and welded to them over their full length.
(I can weld, and have the equipment, but I am NOT a professional welder).

The owner of the Garage, races in a one make series so is very familiar with wee sports cars :-)

Result is a slightly heavier Greddy but with a well constructed skid pan covering on the chassis rails :-)

I also had them MOT her while she was there.
She passed of course :-)

Now think about it..... hours of cutting / grinding and welding.
Time spraying / injecting the Waxoil.
MOT.
Cost of materials used.

You would expect it to be one hell of a bill....wouldnt you ?
NOT SO...and why I use local garages.
This one is a 5 minute stroll from home :-)

My bill was the grand total of ?254.44p ! ! ! !
Take off the ?42.10p for the MOT...and the rest of the work only cost me ?213.34 including the dreaded VAT.
The labour charge was ONLY ?147 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great deal me thinks :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby mgrays » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:13 pm

Not seen the heavy load 215/40ZR16 GD3 yet.. but that price sound cheap as heck.. up in Aberdeen I am lucky to get 110-120 a tyre range and then wait a few days for them. I use Elite down South and get them fitted for ?12 at the unused Ford quick fit .. they never have any work and and allow you to show them how to do it.. so all right.

So how long did you have to warm them up to get those tyres?

A while back I was stranded 3 days in France trying to get tyre.. Michellins were 2 days so might as well spend another day to match the tyres .. still got a front that is out of sync with the other.

How is your wear on the front.. my front passenger definitely rounds shoulders easily but the drivers front only does slight inner wear over the rest of the tyres.. I put it down to roundabouts but it can be horrible wear to look at as outer edge is real dodgy but 95% of tyre is still 4mm tread or so. Alignment was done regular (last time in Norway!) but as I am on a mess of suspension at the moment I have no right to complain!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Tyres

Postby loftladderman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:57 pm

Malcom
mgrays

I nipped into the QuickFit place here in Montrose...ordered the tyres and they were here next day :-)

I do not suffer any uneven wear no matter how hard I push.
The back ones for all the stick they get still have 7mm of tread in them even now :-)
Got to love them F1's ha haaaaaaaaaa

My local QuickFit is even cheaper than www.tyresonline.com !
Good lads one and all and I can rocommend them as they are all real car enthusiasts too :-)

You had her 4 wheeled alligned ?
I have mine done twice a year.
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby mgrays » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:43 pm

4 wheel alignment used to be done by Barnetts of Mollinsburn near Cumbernauld = good but ?70 as I made them take a bit longer. They would only do 8-9am on a Saturday.. but better than anyone else I found 5 years ago.. Tried Pitstop in Aberdeen .. they had to do it twice after I had to show them how to read +/- on their gauges.. first time I had toe out on the rear which makes for interesting times.. no garage at the moment so car is making do.. until I can find something worth buying on the house front - (been looking a year!). Before that I done DIY but getting the thrust line right is interesting.. and is why I ended up doing alignment in Norway while on the Midnight Sun trip (you'd enjoy 2-300 miles a day and good laugh every night.. for 10 days).

So is there a local who can do alignment - the dreaded Ford Quick Fit place could not get their alignment heads onto my 16" rims without hitting the bodywork..
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Fit

Postby loftladderman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:29 am

I hade the same problem with my 16" and Tein suspension set real low.
All I do is ease up on the bodywaork and the arms then fit over the top of the tyres very well indeed :-)

I also have trouble jacking her up (The Greddy) as she sits so low then I found the Ford Rally Jack.
Hydraulic....all Ally..lifts from less than 2 inches.
6 pumps takes her up to maximum height.
What a wonderfull Jack indeed.
Not cheap but worth every single penny.
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby stevieg » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:13 pm

I've had my alignment done my Laws at the Bridge of Don, seems to be fine, even tyre wear (side to side not back to front :D ), tracks centre and steering straight, mind you I've only lowered mine 30mm but running 17" wheels.
stevieg

STEVIE

Postby loftladderman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:10 pm

When is the power house going in ????
LOL
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside