Weekend trip to skye

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

Postby poing » Fri May 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Robin wrote:Looking forward to meeting members then...just out of interest, which route are you taking from Perth?

Hopefully this will be readable :?

We are leaving Lossie at 6am :shock: I had to check but it turns out there actually is a 6am on Saturday afterall. If Rick hasn't died with shock at the time we will meet him in Aberlour at about 6:30, traffic dependant :wink: We might meet up with a Fiat on the way :?: :D
poing

Postby malcolm » Fri May 25, 2007 9:29 pm

I'll meet you's at the road end at craig whit do you call it and give you a walkie talkie at 06.30.

My cars very light now, do you fancy towing me all the way so that I can get the feeling back of sitting behind the wheel of a wee 5.
malcolm

Postby poing » Fri May 25, 2007 9:38 pm

Just asked the other half, she's driving the first bit and she said "on your bike" Not sure that's what you were after :lol:

Erm as for the end of the road at the craig, it's called there A95 or how about the square/co-op in Aberlour as it's a tad safer to stop there :wink:

Forgot all about the walkie talkies.... much silliness with those I'm guessing. In fact think I'll go watch Convoy again :D
poing

Postby ceathorne » Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 pm

Have fun guys !!

( Wish I was coming :cry: )

Hope the weather is kind to you !!
Colin Eathorne
1992 1.6 S-Special Roadster
Brilliant Black
JR-CAI, 14 degree timing, RockDoc's AFM, cat-bypass, Larini s/s exhaust, gold BBS's, Eagle F1's, big brake upgrade, roof by RichardN ... still with a broken back bumper and usually filthy!
ceathorne

Postby Detritus » Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 pm

malcolm wrote:Are you kidding, My wife will be with me.

She thinks I'm a quiet little angel. :shock: :shock:

Your wife is smarter than that Malcolm! :D
Detritus

Postby Detritus » Fri May 25, 2007 10:12 pm

poing wrote:how about the square/co-op in Aberlour as it's a tad safer to stop there :wink:

Good idea!

Kim's waking me up so see you there at 6.30am. :roll:
Detritus

Postby Robin » Sat May 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Met the gang this morning, with my son falling immediately for Mak's stunning Mk3. Nice chat & brekkers at the Caithness Glass outlet, lined up the cars for the obligatory photo shoot, though felt a bit of a fraud since we were not on the Skye trip! Never the less, got photos of the Crystal Blue beside Andy's stunning BBR....then a Rover drew up beside us all :shock: ....but he got the hint and moved off again!
The driver said.." Ohhh..lining up your "roller skates" then?" Says we...nothing :wink: Off to Crieff with Malcolm in the lead (driving Miriam's Punto) in an orderly convoy where Gavin & I pulled in and waved the gang off to their next route. Was quite good fun when Malky got cocky..just reminded him at least the other cars....had engines in them :lol: Was difficult not to follow the convoy though to Crianlarich and beyond. Would you believe some wusses had their hoods up when they arrived at Perth? No dobbing! :shock: Great to finally put new faces to so many names.
Robin

Postby murwilson » Sun May 27, 2007 7:35 pm

First home?

Great weekend, very lucky with the weather, great roads and good company.

Thanks to Paul for taking the lead, did a great job, (shall we forgive him for the slight detour in Dunvegan?) and to Malcolm for organising the whole thing in the first place. The Punto took a battering but stayed with us all the way!

Want to do it again, soon...

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby malcolm » Sun May 27, 2007 8:18 pm

I'm saying nothing, but wait for the flood of photo's. There must be about 3000 of them. it will take them till Wednesday to upload them all.

9 cars in total, Brilliand weekend.
malcolm

Postby L111CHT » Sun May 27, 2007 8:25 pm

660 miles (most of them topless) Miryana now convinced she has hypothermia :lol:

great roads, great craic, great cars. (except the twat in the white 7 series BMW, and his mate in the silver Merc, who twice nearly caused head-ons on the A9 just past Aviemore. I really hope to see you in a ditch one day mate)

Andy & Miryana :wink:

a few quickies from the trip.....

Last edited by L111CHT on Sun May 27, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L111CHT

Postby poing » Sun May 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Thanks to all that turned up and for making it a great weekend. Great company and some more faces to names. Whoever did the sun dance will get their place in heaven, whoever did the hail stone dance will get as many bruises as we did :lol:

I seem to remember getting lost a lot more than once but maybe you guys just didn't realise :wink:

The walkie talkies were a laugh, mainly because we couldn't only catch every 3rd word of Malcolms which sure made us laugh at what he was saying and sent us in a few directions we didn't plan.

Malcolm: Julie says she has just about recovered from your choice of many single track roads. I love those roads though so you keep finding them and I'll keep making her feel queasy and scaring her to death with last second braking :lol:

We will be going back to the hotel which we have now named Faulty Towers for the view and the manager alone, not to mention the food. Character is the best word for that hotel. Fantastic :wink:

We are about to find some good photo's, Julie got click happy and we have 641 :shock: We guess about 20 that might be worth posting, still debating the A9 photo though :wink:

Thanks again to everyone for making it happen by turning up and being great company. It will happen again so hopefully those that couldn't make the trip will be on the next one.
poing

Postby murwilson » Sun May 27, 2007 10:29 pm

L111CHT wrote:except the twat in the white 7 series BMW, and his mate in the silver Merc, who twice nearly caused head-ons on the A9 just past Aviemore. I really hope to see you in a ditch one day mate

Aye, nutters, the pair of them. I thought we were going to be witnesses to at least one head-on there mate and you were dead-on with the d1ck-head sign!

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby Detritus » Sun May 27, 2007 10:39 pm

I've sorted through the photos and here are my favourites.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z118/SkyeTripper/?

Thanks for having Kim and I along.

It was great to meet so many new people and we hope to see you all again at another meet soon. :P

Thanks again to Malcolm and Mirriam, Paul and Julie for organizing the trip and planning a brilliant route. 8)
Detritus

Postby PaulDS » Sun May 27, 2007 11:30 pm

Well done Kim, some super shots and it looks like you had some good driving.
PaulDS

Postby poing » Sun May 27, 2007 11:41 pm

My go at posting some pics to bore some people and refresh the memory of others. There are about 60 so make sure you have a strong coffee handy :wink:

SLIDESHOW CLICKY

I liked your Rick, although I didn't hide as much as I thought in the hotel restaurant :lol:
poing

Postby Hotch » Mon May 28, 2007 7:48 am

Looks like you all had a great time, pity I couldn't continue with you after Crieff. Maybe next year :)
Hotch

back too (one day late)

Postby Reaper » Mon May 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi everyone. Just want to say thanks to you all for making Carin and I so welcome on our first trip. We had a brilliant time.

Loved the comment about Fawlty Towers: I had to pour my own pint on Sunday night as the barmaid couldn't work the tap!! Speaking of which, did anyone else have two hot taps in their bathroom? Seriously!!

And I was so glad to see that Punto in Portree having followed the wrong MX5 for a few miles :oops:

Still sorting out the pics but I'll post any decent ones soon.

Cheers

Alan
All our times have come...

Mk3.5 Silver 1.8
Reaper
OC Member
Alan Russell

Re: back too (one day late)

Postby Detritus » Mon May 28, 2007 10:21 pm

Reaper wrote: Speaking of which, did anyone else have two hot taps in their bathroom? Seriously!!

You had a bathroom? :shock:
Detritus

Postby poing » Mon May 28, 2007 11:03 pm

:lol:

We had a bathroom but it didn't have a light bulb in it so we had to do things in the dark or not be shy in front of each other :shock: One tap gave out warm water, and the other didn't want to turn off.
The barmaid was brilliant, totally without a clue. Then the manager himself told Julie he only had diet coke, half way through the order he went to fix someones door lock (lucky really as most people didn't have one at all) then came back and took a can of normal coke from the crate he had brought in earlier :lol:

I heard someone asking if they should leave the key there while they were out and about, the manager said "only if you want the bin emptied" What a brilliant hotel, you just don't get that kind of laugh in a travel-inn or it's like. :lol:

I think everyone got a bit lost once we hit Skye and went in random directions. All together that just added to the fun :lol: We kept seeing a blue mk3 which must been wondering where all these other mx5's kept appearing from :D
poing

Postby Detritus » Mon May 28, 2007 11:36 pm

It was a great hotel.

Strange really anywhere else I would have complained about some of the stuff, but for some reason it just seemed to add to the charm.

We had a tap that didn't turn off properly, so all night I had to listen to the dribbling water, not good for the bladder. Luckily we had a light in the toilet but also a fan on a timer so I didn't use it.

NO DECAF COFFEE. I can't drink normal, eventually the manager guy found me two sachets that looked like a condom packet does after it's been in your wallet for a year (all the guys who remember their hopeful teens will understand) and then I discovered the milk sachets in my room were dated december 2006. I drank one of the coffees anyway.

I still had a great time, thank you again Malcolm et al for letting me come out to play. :P :D
Detritus

PreviousNext

Return to Highland & Moray, Grampian and Tayside