ANYONE UP FOR A RACE SESSION AT EDZELL ?

Discussion about events organised by the three North of Scotland areas.
[Please do not cross-post]

ANYONE UP FOR A RACE SESSION AT EDZELL ?

Postby loftladderman » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:24 am

Below is a copy of part of the email I have received from David at Edzell after asking him costs etc for a days play.

I can offer you a tarmac circuit (up to approx. 2 miles long) on a weekday afternoon/evening for ?50 per car (one driver per car) for a min. of 10 cars with payment made before the event starts. 3hrs track time plus set-up/tidy up time at either end. Any very noisy cars (eg. fitted with anti-lag) will not be allowed to run. You will be responsible for your own safety, recovery etc. and damage to the site (other than wear and tear to the tarmac).

I hope you find this acceptable and look forwards to speaking with you.

Now ............. I am well up for this.
Anymore for ANYMORE ?
Another 8 ?
I am booking TWO places as I am greedy with a Greddy ! LOL
No dates have been talked about at this stage and once booked we GO, no matter what the weather is.
As you will have coughed up in advance, you lose your money for a no show !
Anyone interested just let me know, we will worry about time / date / collecting money in later.
[/b]
Regards from Mack
Greddy Turbo :-)
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby PaulDS » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:50 pm

Hi Mack,
Yes of course I am interested. Been waiting for this.
My only problem will be a full work diary mid week, however depending on date, might be able to get cover. Will know better when date set.
What's anti lag? Keep it simple.
Paul
Findochty
PaulDS

Paul

Postby loftladderman » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:49 am

Anti-lag
Not easy to explain BUT if you dont know what it is ?? you aint got it fitted ! ha haaaaaaaaa
Turbochargers display what is known as lag time which is the time needed for the turbine to reach its full throttle from an intermediate rotational speed state.
The duration of a turbocharger's lag depends on many factors among which its inertia, airflow efficiency, back pressure, etc. The problem is partly dealt with by fitting a turbo dump valve, which acts each time the driver lifts his foot from the throttle.
The dump valve will evacuate the pressurized air coming out of the turbocharger (With a whoosh...phutttttt, clicking or other daft sound) while the inlet manifold is closed thus allowing the turbine not to stall and avoiding possible damage to its bearings.
In race cars it is very common to fit oversized turbochargers in order to be able to produce enough boost pressure and assure a sufficient engine output.
Big turbochargers display significant amounts of lag due to their increased rotational inertia. In such cases the dump valve is insufficient to allow the turbocharger not to loose too much speed when the driver lifts off. This is why in racing cars, and more specifically in rally cars, where torque and engine availability are critical factors, most applications use anti-lag systems.
When you have fitted an anti lag system (ALS) and lift your foot off the GO pedal after being on full power, you get that BANG BANG BANG that mine makes :-)
SEE....no simple explanation...LOL
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Richardn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:58 am

Soundds like a backfire as it injects fuel to spin the turbo!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby PaulDS » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:56 pm

Thanks Mack, understand perfectly now. Never made the connection between the hissing, popping and general look at me noise turbo's make.
Did know about turbo lag though, nevertheless I'm impressed with your tech explanation.
Paul
Findochty.
PaulDS

Edzel

Postby Stonehaven » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:57 am

Mack,
I may be up for it with the California which I recently acquired. However, it needs a few things doing like new shocks, brakes etc, new rocker-cover gasket, so it depends when you are ready for the day.
I use the 91H 1.6 as my daily business car so that is not going near an airfield.
Reagrds,
Mark

P.S. I believe you have to look out for the lamp post in the middle of the field at Edzel - the only thing you can hit, but I understand at least one Scooby ahs manged to do so.
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

LAMP POST

Postby loftladderman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:01 am

The famous edzel Lamp Post is ONLY for the use of Scooby drivers and my dog to wee on

Being a regular at Edzell I can vouch for the fact that Scobbys are the only cars I have seen blow up on the 1/4 mile regularly !
Only ones to have mated with the lamp post too !

Must be a problem with Scoobys me thinks ! ha haaaaaaa

As soon as the numbers are up to 10 for Edzell, I shall get dates from David and post them here, so it is up to everyone then to say yes or no.
I will be going whatever dates are available.
I am envisaging around the end of September and I also have some pals with Westfields who want to join us if we cannot get the numbers we require !
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Si » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:20 pm

Sorry Mack, won't be joining you for this.

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

's ok :-)

Postby loftladderman » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:26 pm

's Ok Si :-)
There will be more Westfields than MX's is all. LOL

I should not be surprised at the lack of interest within the North Scotland group as their lack of interest in the Lands End to John O'Groats run for charity is just about on par with it :-)
Thankfully the English crowd are more than making up for it :-)
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

A few

Postby loftladderman » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:19 am

Not enough interest.
My friends who belong to another small group are taking the offer up and I am joing in with them.
Some of them are driving up from as far away as Portsmouth !
They will be using the track, but I shall be running OFF circuit, as a test day for my own car.
I may even sell the all the Roadsters and buy a Westfield R500 instead now.
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman

Postby Phil » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:53 pm

If they don't like anti-lag what about an after-burner :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil

Mk3, 2ltr, Brilliant Black, Option pack, Air Con, Eibach springs, Member No. 45**
Phil
OC Member
Phil Mitchell

YUP

Postby loftladderman » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:00 pm

LOL
Why not ???
Regards from Mack
www.macksmx5s.com
www.loftladderman.com
loftladderman