Quick introduction from Johnshaven

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Quick introduction from Johnshaven

Postby wokkie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Hello, another new member to MX5 Owner's club. Recently bought an el cheapo from Ebay (£950), silver 1990 mk1, just on a whim. Really surprised how much fun it is, and how solid it is too.

It's done around 100 km's. Had to buy four new tyres, get a service and the brakes done, fit a temperature guage probe, and that was about it. Now it is running great and has no rust that I can see. The paintwork is a mess though, particularly round the lower half of the doors and the sills.

Delighted to find all these forums online too, with all the knowledge that is available.

One thing that puzzles me is that it has different tyres on the front from the back. The front has 185/65/14 while the back has 175/75/14, but I don't notice anything unusual in the way it steers or runs.

The other thing that slightly concerns me - since I did my research after buying rather than before - is the question of the short nose crankshaft. On miata.net that gets a lot of coverage.

On the UK forums it seems to be hardly mentioned. And since I don't have proof of a timing belt change, though was told it had been done, I am going to have to get that done too I guess, which means thinking about replacing that crankshaft bolt, or whether to just leave well alone and stay out of there?

Anyway, thanks for the forum and all the information I've been able to pick up. I love reading it, whether I'll be able to apply any of it is another question.

Finally, I notice this forum is not running at all well. I work with forums a lot, so if anyone needs help fixing it, I could maybe advise or even get my hands dirty, metaphorically speaking.

cheers

Bob
wokkie

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Bob

If you fancy a go at doing the cam belt. I'm taking time off in August. You could bring it over here, Willie and I will give you a hand.

Two large double garages and all the tools available.

I have done a number of cam belts, never an MX5, but I have an article on how it is done, just have to follow the instructions to the letter not a problem.

eddie
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby wokkie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:19 pm

drumtochty wrote:Bob

If you fancy a go at doing the cam belt. I'm taking time off in August. You could bring it over here, Willie and I will give you a hand.

Two large double garages and all the tools available.

I have done a number of cam belts, never an MX5, but I have an article on how it is done, just have to follow the instructions to the letter not a problem.

eddie

Sounds great Eddie. I am up for that !
wokkie

Postby sgibson » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Before doing the cambelt change, establish if you have a short crank car by looking at the crank pulley which is visible from under the bonnet. The short versions have 4 slots and the longer versions have 8 slots. You might be lucky as 1991 was the changeover year. If it's the short one, do extensive research on the issue before going near the cambelt otherwise you'll be looking at a rebuild or new engine.
sgibson

Postby Stonehaven » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 pm

I don't think I would like the idea of 175 on the rear - correct size is the 185s you have on the front. If you need a pair of 185s I have several sets of alloys and the 14s will have 185s on them.
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Postby wokkie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 am

sgibson wrote:Before doing the cambelt change, establish if you have a short crank car by looking at the crank pulley which is visible from under the bonnet. The short versions have 4 slots and the longer versions have 8 slots. You might be lucky as 1991 was the changeover year. If it's the short one, do extensive research on the issue before going near the cambelt otherwise you'll be looking at a rebuild or new engine.

Thanks for that. It is definitely the short nose. I've been reading about the issue, and still undecided about the best approach, but possibly just change the bolt and loctite it?
wokkie

Postby wokkie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:33 am

Stonehaven wrote:I don't think I would like the idea of 175 on the rear - correct size is the 185s you have on the front. If you need a pair of 185s I have several sets of alloys and the 14s will have 185s on them.

That's a very kind offer. Would be really pleased to catch up with you some time. I work in market square so am around Stoney a lot. Off this weekend on the Highland Solstice event, which looks promising. Maybe pm you next week?
wokkie

Postby graeme » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:17 am

The Club's Technical Adviser, John Cookson, had a short nose crank engine. He changed the oil every 300 yds, made it cups of Ovaltine and told it bed time stories. It still blew up. I would suggest that you look after it like any other engine and enjoy it. If it's going to go, it's going to go.
graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:17 am

Evidence that train wifi isn't all it's cracked up to be :roll:
graeme

Postby wokkie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:04 am

graeme wrote:The Club's Technical Adviser, John Cookson, had a short nose crank engine. He changed the oil every 300 yds, made it cups of Ovaltine and told it bed time stories. It still blew up. I would suggest that you look after it like any other engine and enjoy it. If it's going to go, it's going to go.

That sounds like the best plan, and if it lasts for a few years I'll have had my bang for the bucks! Its going like a train right now anyway!
wokkie

Postby Stonehaven » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 am

If the cam belt goes on a 5 it isn't the end of the world as it is a non-interference engine.

For info on repairing a damaged crank short nose have a look at Project 14 in Keith Tanner's handy book 'Mazda Miata Performance Projects'.

You can borrow mine if you want or you can buy it from Amazon etc a few of the projects (but not this one are free online at http://www.miataprojects.com/
Mk3.5 RC Sport Tech and Range Rover TDV8 - back in a 5 after five years of Porsches - everyone should own a 911 at some point

past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member 3068
Stonehaven

Postby wokkie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:58 am

Stonehaven wrote:If the cam belt goes on a 5 it isn't the end of the world as it is a non-interference engine.

For info on repairing a damaged crank short nose have a look at Project 14 in Keith Tanner's handy book 'Mazda Miata Performance Projects'.

You can borrow mine if you want or you can buy it from Amazon etc a few of the projects (but not this one are free online at http://www.miataprojects.com/

That book looks well worth having. There's more than one of those projects on my todo list for the next year or two! I got those toyos too, so will see what the difference is when I get them fitted.
wokkie

Return to New Users