Hello to all

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hello to all

Postby itchycritchy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm 30 years of age and live in Hamilton. I will be on the lookout for a second car in a few months and I have my heart set on an MX5. My other car is '82 Ford Capri Mark 3 which I am currently working on in the garage. I have a crappy Corsa as a daily runner for work but I'm keen to look for a good MX5 for about £1500-£2k

I have a lot to learn about them and hopefully by reading up your posts here on the forum I will be able to pick it up quickly.

These cars seem like they will be fun to drive, and that after all is all that matters. I have never driven one yet, but I have sat behind the wheel of a few and I fell in love with them.

Hints on what to look out for and what to check when I am going to view them would be helpful and which particular age/model is ideal for my budget.

Looking forward to reading, learning and chatting with the group and hopefully becoming a fully fledged member of the MX5 community soon.

Itchycritchy (dont ask about the screen name - it was a nickname from my youth which has stuck!)
itchycritchy

Postby sarahlc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello and Welcome.

1500 - 2K should get you decent MK1.

When you looking check for rust just in front of the rear wheel on the sill/Quarter panel. Also take a look at the front wing just behind the front wheel. Check for broken suspension springs.
if its a pre mid '91, the engine might be a short nose version which have problems with the crank pulley full off :shock:
If its 94' or later then get a 1.8 as the 1.6 after '93 got detuned from 115bhp to a 88bhp :?

Good luck with the search.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of MX-5's. I'm sure you'll be able to find all the help you need here.

Ian
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Welcome Itchy, good luck in you quest, you'll love it if get a good one.

Gavin
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Bill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello and welcome, you'll love it when you get one :lol:
Bill

Postby Richardn » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Hello, try the for sale section. One has appeared right on cue
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BillB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Buy one and enjoy the wind in your hair, or more correctly, the wind blowing your hair forward. (anyone with a hairpiece stuck on with anything other than a mig welder had better have 'Wig Loss Insurance'.)

The sun is shining and I am just about ready to take the hard top off and give the canvas roof a good clean in readyness for roof down motoring.
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

Postby Rostra » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:33 am

Hello and Welcome.

You should get a cracking Mk 1 if you're prepared to spend 2k. I have two (89 and 90) and they are both sweet as a nut, Each cost about 1k, one on ebay and one through the OC (UK)

Although there is lots of talk of rust, neither of mine have a problem on the wings or sills, but Daisy did have rust around the windscreen. My insurance paid for a new screen because it was chipped, and while that was being done the surround was resprayed for about 150 quid.

Lots of the rust problems with wings and sills are caused by owners failing to clear out drainage tubes (rear) and allowing rubbish to acumulate between inner and outer wing (front.) You can see into the space between the front wings via the door hinge when the door is open.

Good luck, and practice that grin!
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Postby itchycritchy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Are the soft top roofs prone to leaking especially on the mark 1's. How should I check? Sit in it and ask the seller to pour a bucket of water over it?
itchycritchy

Postby Rostra » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:26 pm

You can tell the condition of the soft top just by looking at it. Any sign of a crack (particularly where the top creases as the top is lowered) and you will have a leak.

Badly fitted hoods also are prone to leak into the boot, but that's an easy fix. I did it myself and it took about 2 hours and a tube of sillicone,If you get that problem just shout and I'll give you the step by step instructions.

Also look out for damage to the plastic rear window. Unfortunately some owners don't know that you should unzip it (after releasing the catches but before lowering the hood) to stop it getting folded in two and getting scratched or cracked across the middle.

Good hunting.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Return to New Users