North Lanarkshire Newbie

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

North Lanarkshire Newbie

Postby CarolB » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi all, I'm on day 5 of being the new owner of an MX5 (2005 1.8 Sport) and I'm loving it! Have been finding excuses to run errands just for the sake of driving about. It was bought on a whim, so I need to say thanks v much to the turquoise blue hardtop wearing 5 that I pass occasionally in Springburn - you inspired me!

Just one question though - does your neck eventually get used to the ache-iness of driving a soft top? :lol:

Carol
CarolB
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi Carol and welcome :D

does your neck eventually get used to the ache-iness of driving a soft top?

Yep you get used to all sorts of good things and keep finding excuses to get out and drive..... :lol: :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Re: North Lanarkshire Newbie

Postby Rostra » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm

CarolB wrote:Just one question though - does your neck eventually get used to the ache-iness of driving a soft top? :lol:

Carol

Hello and welcome.
You will get used to anything just for the sake of driving a 5 - but do be careful with your new treasure in the snow!! Extra weight in the boot is a good idea.

I assume the achy neck bit is about being able to see at junctions - you just get used to pulling up slightly pointing left so you can see what's coming, out of the window and round the blind spot.
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Postby Linda dobbie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi Carol and welcome, I'm not too far from you - Lenzie and I work in Springburn so if you pass me - Mark 3 Copper - give me a wave,
Linda
LINDA
Linda dobbie

Postby Andy_H » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm

welcome, im in glasgow two, i get a sore neck from turning round for a wee look every time i walk away from my 5 :D
"hardcore roof down crew"

1990 White 1.6 UK model
Andy_H

Postby CarolB » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Thx for the welcome - seems like a friendly forum/OC. I'm putting the sore neck down to general shakiness of the car compared to the comfy armchair that I was driving previously (Seat Leon) - both my pa and my OH have commented on the sore necks that come with soft tops. I'll live with it - the 5 is certainly NOT going back!

Linda - I'll look out for you when I'm next in Sainsburys! Which garage do you use for services / repairs, etc?

Rostra - being a typical female, I tend to carry emergency 'stuff' in the boot - at last I have a good excuse for this! I've been well warned about the back end sliding out, but OH took it to a quiet roundabout in Cumbernauld and deliberately made it slide to see how it fared - he said it took quite a bit of 'oomph' to make it go sideways, so I'm a wee bit more reassured. As much as it was useful to experience, I was having visions of it nose first into a road sign less than 24 hours after having got it...

It's fabby though!
CarolB
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Rostra » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:41 pm

CarolB wrote:Rostra - being a typical female, I tend to carry emergency 'stuff' in the boot - at last I have a good excuse for this! I've been well warned about the

The extra weight was more in the order of a bag of cement ! I doubt there is much of that amongst your emergency 'stuff'.! :lol:
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.
89 1.6, 90 1.6 - one for each foot.
Rostra

Postby IanN » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 am

Hi Carol

Welcome to the forum.

Good to hear that you're having fun with the car.

They should stick to the road like glue, but it does depend on the tyres that are fitted. You'll find plenty of help and advice here.

Hope to see you at one of our events sometime.

Have fun.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Madboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Welcome Carol, also North Lanarkshire here... black Mk1 so will give you a wave if I see you.

Glad your loving the car!
Bobby & Suzie M
Without the bitter - the sweet just aint as sweet!
Madboy

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Welcome Carol, I get a sore neck when in the '5', I resorted to wearing a neck warmer (from any good outdoor shop). I need the neck warmer as I already have arthritis in my neck due to an old injury. But I don't let it spoil my enjoyment of the '5'. :-)
When someone gives you a pat on the back make damned sure they did not have a knife in their hand.
BillB

serivce /repairs

Postby Linda dobbie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi Carol

I got mine serviced Autocraft in Kirkintilloch, Ian is a good bloke and prices are reasonable, also there is a garage in Lenzie - (at the JET petrol station) on the Boghead Road, that another member has used and recommended -
Linda
LINDA
Linda dobbie

Postby Linda dobbie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Carol

what colour is your car - just in case I pass youon the Lindsaybeg Rd
Linda
LINDA
Linda dobbie

Postby CarolB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi Linda

Thanks for that - I know where both of those are. I'd much rather take it somewhere recommended than be trying garages round here at random.

I got the roof down for the first time early Sunday morning when the sun was still out and it was a hundred times better than I imagined it would be. I found myself driving about aimlessly again just to enjoy it.

Colour - it's 'radiant ebony' apparently - I've seen it go from black to brown to maroon to sparkly purple, dependant on the light (and the mud on Lindsaybeg Rd, of course!)

Will look out for you!
Carol
CarolB
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users