a little bit of reassurance :)

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

a little bit of reassurance :)

Postby stripelizard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:26 pm

will be looking at a 1.8 x reg with 71000 miles in a garage today, seems (from the photos) in really nice condition, just after a bit of reassurance about the milage i know for an x reg 71k isnt to bad but are there any issues i should look out for, cam belts, running gear ect, theres a few cars as close but younger with a lot less miles but the price reflects this,

Oh Hi by the way, as you prob realised i havnt got one yet, goto sell my cb900 hornet first I`ve come to the conclusion that this is not the country to be a fair weather biker, end up not being able to use it, so the next step to get that wind in the hair freedom type of feeling is a rag top and always lusted after one of these classics now may is the time :D hoping the bike sells fast :roll:
Mark and Haze`s ...1.6i mk2.5 Splash Green Mica,:/ I`m smitten, its her car but will be my passion :)
stripelizard

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Welcome.

Mileage potential in these cars is pretty astronomical if serviced well. Your potential purchase is a relative young 'un! The engines are bullet proof if looked after. A bust cambelt will not grenade these engines...non interfering. Cambelt ought to have been done around 54K...more or less the half life service. Ask for bill history to prove. You would have to question "if not why not"...and what else has been neglected.

Other than that, check for signs of corrosion around the rear cills & arches, & hood condition of course. Brake calipers are expensive and really worth a close look. If aircon.. is it gassed up, Other than that, all the usual checks for an older car prevail. Shut lines, odd paint matches, all fluid levels..usual boring stuff.
Any doubts, the market is a buyer's one right now...walk away & see more.
Robin

Postby stripelizard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:25 pm

thanks Robin...

had a look at this one if i Had the cash I`d have walked away, too many scratches and a few dints, i think the car had been sat there a while a lot of condensation inside the hood, a bit of surface mould inside the hood also, is this a common occurance with it being a soft top, he wanted 5 grand so i think a bit of bartering may have got him to drop the price a bit :) anyhoo anyone wanna hornet 9er blue huh anyone :oops:

all the best Mark
Mark and Haze`s ...1.6i mk2.5 Splash Green Mica,:/ I`m smitten, its her car but will be my passion :)
stripelizard

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Mark
5.5 :shock: can get you something like a very nice 2001/2 Sport right now. That's silly money. Hoods would get mouldy with lack of use...not permanent issue.A good valet and regular driving will eradicate that provided it's basically water tight.
Robin

Postby Madboy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:52 am

Agree with Robin - anything near £5000 is a lot of buck for your bang.

When I was looking (about 6 months ago) I found a 51 plate red with 40k miles 1 owner and FSH in immaculate condition for under 5k and that was from a dealer.
Your dealer is either very very optimistic with his pricing or he is starting unusually high expecting to be haggled down maybe to maximise his profit.

As Robin says plenty out there, good luck with the hunt let us know how you get on.
Bobby & Suzie M
Without the bitter - the sweet just aint as sweet!
Madboy

Postby stripelizard » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:14 am

cheers guys... went and did it, took the good lady wife to see a nice 1.6 03 plate in a mazda garage (sighthill) i wasnt too sure of the colour looks like a girly green/blue a greeybluey, blueygreeny kinda.. anyhoo test drove and fell in love, dont care about the blueygreen colour she like it being a woman she would, I`ll just get a nice private plate in her name so it looks like its for her, :P

the bartering began, half decent price for our 1.2 punto and an ok (i think) asking price for the mx5, deposit left and should have it ready for next friday ... woo hoo 1 years warrenty, 6m tax and a full year mot and a service :)

still need to sell the bike , but now no rush :)

the test drive was interesting, having never driven one of these wasnt really prepared for the hardness of the ride, although it may be partly the aftermarket wheels and the tyres, and /or the road surface around the estate, onto the bypass was a different story kinda smooth, not overly powerfull the 1.6, but happy we aint speed freaks, (i need to preserve my licence)

so gonna inundate you good people with a lot of stoopid questions no doubt when i get it, prepare yourselves :)

1ST stoopid question... the car has 17inch wheels, what size tyres shoud be on them for the rolling radius to be right, it has 205 45 17 at the mo tempted to put 215`s on to protect the rims as they are unmarked at the mo (untill the good lady`s ready to have a go :) )
stripelizard

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:39 am

"looks like a girly green/blue a greeybluey, blueygreeny"
Ahem sir :lol:
Congratulations. :wink:
Robin

Postby Baron von Ripper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:46 am

Hope you enjoy it !!!!!!
"Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors"
Baron von Ripper

Postby stripelizard » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:50 am

Cheers I`m sure were gonna get along just fine, once i get it home and start to personalise him/her :lol: .... no offence ment Robin, its a stunning colour, i love it 8)
:oops:
stripelizard

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Welcome, , smashing looking car, ENJOY! :lol: This link may help with the tyre sizing you were asking about,http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
All the Best
Bill

Postby Richardn » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:08 pm

stripelizard wrote:cheers guys... 1ST stoopid question... the car has 17inch wheels, what size tyres shoud be on them for the rolling radius to be right, it has 205 45 17 at the mo tempted to put 215`s on to protect the rims as they are unmarked at the mo (untill the good lady`s ready to have a go :) )

Should be 40 profile on a 17"
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iainf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Richardn wrote:
stripelizard wrote:cheers guys... 1ST stoopid question... the car has 17inch wheels, what size tyres shoud be on them for the rolling radius to be right, it has 205 45 17 at the mo tempted to put 215`s on to protect the rims as they are unmarked at the mo (untill the good lady`s ready to have a go :) )

Should be 40 profile on a 17"

And they look like Fox or Ripspeed alloys. They might look nice but I'll bet they weigh a lot
and 215s will be too wide for an mx5 it will really affect the handling.

If you were thinking about changing the tyres you should also maybe think about changing the alloys back to a lighter original 15 or 16"?
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby stripelizard » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:40 pm

they are fox mate, good eye :)

the tyres have got a few thousand miles left, so they`ll do for now :)

just outa curiosity what size should be on mine, would be interested to try mine with the proper size wheels and tyres :) lighter steering I`m thinking ?

is mine the mk2 or mk2.5 , see lots of stoopid Q`s

bikes sold :)
stripelizard

Postby IanH » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:49 pm

It's the Mk2 Facelift (2.5 as it is commonly known as :D ), the easiest way to tell is from the headlights and the blanking plates in the bumper.

Fom another Forum;

http://www.mx-5.com/Community/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=39077

There were a number of changes to the mk2.5. The front bumper has two black finned blanking plates on either side where fog lights are placed on high spec models. The radio/CD unit became a complete unique fit unit, the front and rear lights are different. The front lights were apparently 20% brighter on the mk2.5. The instrument gauges were changed to white faces with red needles that turned to black wih rednumbering when the lights were turned on. Various changes were made to the rigidity of the body and larger brakes were added. The seats included integral head restraints as a one piece item.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby The Mailman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:39 pm

stripelizard wrote:the test drive was interesting, having never driven one of these wasnt really prepared for the hardness of the ride, although it may be partly the aftermarket wheels and the tyres, and /or the road surface around the estate

Nah, they´re just dreadful cars really :lol:

It would be more comfy on smaller rims. Anyhow, enjoy it :D
Import in import... Dutch guy driving a '93 Eunos Roadster 1.6

The Mailman

Postby PaulDS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:08 pm

By the sound of your enthusiasm, you've already caught the bug. :P
PaulDS

Postby stripelizard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:59 pm

8) i do have enthusiasm, unfortunately the fund`s or the technical knowhow dosn`t match up, although the good lady wife realises that loosing my previous enthusiam (the bike) has hit me hard and i need`s to be comforted in other ways, so i may be in line for a few tarty bits for the 5... :wink:

it`ll be in her name, but my midlife crisis toy/plaything/commute mobile :)

been part of a few forums in my time (makes me sound old), 2 vectra sites, still log into one of them every now and then, when i have issues with the family car and a hornets (nest) site ever since i had the bikes, pretty much daily because of the enthusiam and sense of belonging to a group of likeminded guys and girls that shared the same interest, already feel this site is gonna be a lot of fun and a daily log on, already solved a few of my issues and i`ve not even picked up the car yet,

so thanks for your help so far, and hope to meet a few of you soon on a run out/meet/gathering... :)
stripelizard

Return to New Users