Which one?

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Which one?

Postby Madboy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:54 am

Still on the all consuming quest to get back to owning another MX5...

I have these 2 options before me - which one would you go for?

1990 H Eunos Roadster 93k on the clock - no rot anywhere all electrics (import spec) Imported in 2000 had 2 owners since then no real service history to speak of.

1989 G Eunos Roadster - 70k on the clock - again no rot some service history imported in 2004.

Both funnily enough the exact same colour - a sort of piercing blue - somewhere between Mariner and Royal I think. Both 1.6 engines both coming with 1 yrs full MOT both from dealers. The 1989 model is actually list priced at £250 higher than the H plate (probably due to mileage)

Whats your thoughts... which one would you go for - any hints tips?

Thanks
Bobby & Suzie M
Without the bitter - the sweet just aint as sweet!
Madboy

Postby Robin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:33 am

An enviable dilemma. Can't really put a fag paper between them from your description. So, assuming both have at least been serviced....
Drive both...cane them as hard as you are allowed to do so. Which feels sweeter.. tighter? Dial in overall best condition, with evidence of big cambelt change/service for example(both should have been done),and any future "recommended" expense.
Inspect chassis, exhaust, look for odd feathering on treads (aligment?) and all other old car rigours. Check shut lines. Take a magnet wrapped in a piece of soft cloth to pass over the rear arches & cills...make sure no recent bodging. Check AC working if fitted?
Check both hoods are tight and crack free. Check under seats and in little corners for safety glass shards...accident damage? Check spare is not cracked with age. Lift boot carpets and check for corrosion. Check batteries have proper breather pipes in place if they are of that type. Don't bother to much about wee rattles on the move...they are MK1 blob chart extras :lol:
Robin

Postby frank boyle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:38 am

On the face of what you have told us, I would go for the lower mileage slightly older model, with better history. A car is however so much more than age and written history

However, if you are unsure, I would wait, there is always another car just around the cormer.

frank boyle

Postby Richardn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:38 pm

The H-reg as it may have the later crank

unless the g-reg has a very low chassis no (last 4 numberrs)
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Madboy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:49 pm

Thanks a lot guys - appreciate the input as always.

Have been thinking about it so long I may be in danger of thinking about it too much LOL

Will keep you all up to date!
Bobby & Suzie M
Without the bitter - the sweet just aint as sweet!
Madboy

Postby graeme » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:04 pm

I'd avoid the G reg for the same reason - the short nose crank.
graeme

Return to New Users