Hello all you sexy MX-5 lovers ;)

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hello all you sexy MX-5 lovers ;)

Postby Fuggzy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi folks, after a good few years of reading through the forums, i thought it would be about time I finally said hi. :D

I own a black '98 mk1 with a 1.8 engine and I love her dearly :) (dont tell the missus!!!), however, in May last year I was driving her to work on a very early Monday morning along my usual route (A71, Darvel-Strathaven) the road had just been opened after a weekend closure for resurfacing, and a couple of miles into the journey I was driving around a slight sweeping bend at about 50 mph and was presented with quite possibly the largest, longest, deepest flood I have ever come across on Scotlands roads (and I drive lorries for a living). I had no time to do anything other than swear the F word very briefly and I was travelling sideways through this miniture atlantic ocean. Anyway, the car ended up off the road, entangled in a fence down a 20 foot drop... on its side :cry:
Worst part of it all was that I only had 3rd party fire and theft insurance (a lesson learned).
Since that day, my baby has been in my lock up needing extensive paintwork repair (caused by the fence entanglement) and a new front and rear bumper amongst many other things, no doubt :cry:

Next time im back in Scotland ill post photos so ye can all have a cry with me :( :cry: . At the moment im doing some HGV work in London but im comin home in the next few weeks WOOHOOO!!! ;)

Anyway, sorry to bore you all with my sob story but i really hope to get her fixed up back to the splendour she once was (hopefully with the help and guidance of fellow mx5 lovers) and come and meet you all on some days out :)

And lastly, back to the point of this post........ HI !!!!!! :mrgreen:
Fuggzy

Postby Gordon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi and welcome, always nice to greet a new Ayrshire owner. Sorry to hear about the car though but it could have been worse, at least the barbed wire didn't get YOU. :shock:
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

?

Postby Davy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 pm

I am also from Darvel ? born n bred ?
2005 MK2 1.8 Icon
Davy

Postby DouglasH » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi :D
DouglasH

Postby Lola » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear about the car, hope you get 'her' up and running soon... and pictures will, I'm sure, provoke plenty of sympathy from us all on here!
'N' Reg Mk1 1.8 Black
Lola

Postby kevham » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi and welcome.

I also have a Mk2 1.8 in Black and I grew up just a few miles away from Darvel (in Galston) so there you go for coincidences!

I've also lost control of my MX-5 at speed on several occasions although they have all been in the relative safety of race tracks. :mrgreen:

I'm sure we'll be able to give you helpful advice on the restoration of your pride and joy.
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Re: ?

Postby Fuggzy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 am

Davy wrote:I am also from Darvel ? born n bred ?

Unfortunately not, I was raised in East Kilbride, then in 2004 after a few years of renting in EK me and the other half bought a place in Darvel because we were priced out of the area, but its a move im very glad i did as it's an excellent place to live (and relatively safe as well when you compare it to many other locations nearer to Glasgow) ;)

And in responce to Gordon.... yes, it very easily could've been a lot worse, i was very lucky to escape from it uninjured.
The council weren't interested when i approached them about the appaling condition of the road they had just opened, just my luck really.

(will post up the heart wrenching pics in 3-4 weeks time) :cry:

And a special thanks to everyone for the friendly responces :D
Fuggzy

Return to New Users