Hi

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hi

Postby johnjohn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I’ve joined your forum because I’m looking to buy a MX5 in the next couple of weeks :D I’ve only got a budged of circa £2k, so I presume I need to find a MK1. As this will be my first MX5 I thought I would see if you guys had any advice on what might be good to get and what to avoid. Also any other place to look for cars for sale.

I’m based in Fife, work in Kirkcaldy and live near Dunfermline.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
John
johnjohn

Postby poing » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Welcome along, good choice of car :wink:

The normal car buying advice applies to the MX5 but there are a few extra things to look out for.

The main owners club forum is stacked full of info, there is a complete technical guide area near the bottom which has more info than any single owner will ever need. There is also a dedicated buying advice section found here: CLICK ME

One of the best things you can do is post the link to any cars you find here and we can tell you what is good or bad about it and what you can negotiate with the owner on to get a discount :wink:

If you ask nicely then some of the people who are local to you might even be willing to come with you to look at a car before you buy.

Pop along to a pub meet if you can where you'll get to know some of the members and see the cars, they will point you in the right direction for sure.

:D
poing

Postby lochpark » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Make sure you have a looke here http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 currently four Mk1's for sale including an FI'd one 8)
lochpark

Postby DouglasH » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Hello and welcome :D
DouglasH

Postby sarahlc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Hello and Welcome

When looking for a MK1 rust is the biggest problem.

Check ithe sill just in front of the rear wheels
Check the bottom of the front wing just behind the front wheels
Check the rear arches
Check just in front of the front wheel where the front wing meets the front bumper
you might also want to look under the boot carpet as well for rust caused by battery acid (wrong battery) or leaky seal

MX5's seem to be mechanically very strong and there is not to much to worry about, back calipers have a habit of sticking, if its on original suspension then you might want to check for broken springs(one of my fronts snapped shortly after I bought it), other than that check the normal stuff like any used car.

I got my one of ebay, I went to see it before I bid,

Good luck looking
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Mailman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 pm

Welkom :D

Check if there's a correct battery fitted and no rust in the boot. I didn´t :roll:
Import in import... Dutch guy driving a '93 Eunos Roadster 1.6

The Mailman

Postby clarky » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:16 am

please make sure you buy a car that has a MX5 badge and not a mm-------m fingmy g and you wont have as much bother come
join the fun
always look on the bright side of life
clarky

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:47 am

Hi JohnJohn,
Welcome to the forum and soon to the best driving of your life.

I'm based in Dunfermline so know some of the local garages quite well. There is often a good choice at Abbey Cars, East Port Garage and a few others. Any repairs required I would strongly recommend D & G Autos - I’ve used them plenty of times :shock:

I'm not an expert on the cars (particularly the Mk1, I have a Mk 2.5) but as suggested above, just post any issues here or on the main Forum, plenty of much more knowledgeable people than I who can help.

Hope to see you at one of the events (you can try these before you buy too) or PM me if you want me to help locally. :)
Drop the hood and let the world in 8-)

Jim
Jim
OC Member
Jim Tolson

Postby Colin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi John

From what you've said, you may well have your new car by now, so hope you're as daft about it as we are about ours.

You're welcome to come North of the Tay to join us on a run, so keep an eye on both Central and North events.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby johnjohn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I've actually bought a MGF :oops: I got a deal that was too good to turn down. Next time I would like a MX5.

Thanks again.
johnjohn

Postby DouglasH » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:57 pm

All the best with the new car John, perhaps we will see you some time in the future.
DouglasH

Return to New Users