Which club?

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Which club?

Postby weesarah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Hello,

I own a black mark 2.5 mx5 and live in Fife. Which club (central or north) would I be best to join? Also, can anyone tell me if it's possible to fit a towbar to an Mx5? I love canoeing but can't bring myself to get a different car...

Thanks.
weesarah

Postby graeme » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Welcome!
You join the UK MX-5 Owners Club and then you are welcome to attend meetings/runs/events in any area of the UK. The difference between the areas traditionally came down to which area's newsletter you wanted. Since Scotland prints all its areas' newsletters on the same piece of paper, it makes no difference in your case at all.
graeme

Postby Colin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi Sarah, and welcome

Graeme's absolutely right that you are welcome to any area's events. You are allocated an area purely for admin reasons. Just to complicate matters, the North area is split into North Scotland South/East/North!

I'm Area Coordinator for NSS which covers Tayside and which often has folk coming from Fife and other parts of Central to join us ... and we're delighted that they do.

Our next run is on Sunday, 24th August; details are here if you fancy joining us.
Cheers
Colin
Maturity is greatly overrated
Colin
OC Member
Colin Stuart

Postby Gordon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Welcome to the friendly forum.

Unfortunately there's no towbar for the Mk 2.5, you can get roof mounts apparently!

--
Gordon
Gordon

Roof-mounts

Postby weesarah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Hello,

Thanks for all your replies. I hope to join soon! Today i went blow-karting for the first time - now have a desire for canoeing and blow-karting! Can anyone give anymore info on roof-mounts (I have a hard-top) and / or towbars.

I'm very active, just don't have a car to match....

Hope to meet some of you when I join, and thanks again for your inputs!

Sarah
weesarah

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum, and soon the Club.
I'm just "across the wattur" in Falkirk.
All I know about the towbar issue in the UK is that no specific permissible weights/info was ever put in Mk2/ 2.5 handbooks...therefor you are not "allowed".
However, the Australian MX5 forum is full of successful MK2 towing photos... Witter etc. I saw a couple of Mk2's in both Albury & Sydney doing it one being the rear section of a MK1 cut and converted into a trailer! They go "bush" fully kitted up. BUT...I have no knowledge of the legalities in the UK of doing so, but imagine being hauled by plod would create some issues. You can, paradoxically, fit one to the Mk1's
RichardN is encyclopedic on the subject :D Yoohoo Richard...say hello :wink:
Robin

Postby frank boyle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 am

Hello and welcome.

Just consulted 3 web sites for tow bars, (been towing for years with an assortment of cars).

The big 3 for manufacturing are Witter, Brink and GDW, none of them list and brackets for MX5 and Witter include the comment "not homologated for towing" This would indicate to me you are not going to find a road legal towing bracket for this car.

The law changed on towing bars a few years back, ite essential you use a properly approved unit which uses the mounting facilities provided by the manufacturer, I would hazard a guess that Mazda never intended the 5 for towing, and therfore didnt engineer in any mounting facilities.
frank boyle

Postby Richardn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:10 am

You can tow with a Mk1. It is not legal to tow with any model after that!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users