New Owner - what's the score with rust on cills and arches

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Owner - what's the score with rust on cills and arches

Postby jimafblack » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:43 am

Been looking through the old posts and see quite a bit of discussion about rust problems on MK2 cars particularly on the cills and rear wheel arches. Now panicking as even 2003 cars have had these problems. What do I need to check for and what maintenance steps do I need to take to ensure that these rust problems are prevented? I;ve seen discussion on drain holes. Not a clue where to start though so any help would be appreciated.

Jim
New MX-5 Driver - 2002 1.6 Phoenix
jimafblack

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:35 am

I suggest Tech Day in Callander where you can be pointed to the bits that need watched eg drain holes...and get advice about Dinitrol/Waxoil application.
Tech Day
:: Sun 25th Nov 2007
Meeting Point : Stirling Services
Departure Time : 10:45:
A chance to prepare the car for winter.

If you cannot see any rust , well and good...don't panic! :lol: I'm giving the wife's Mk2 a good drenching of Waxoil this weekend anyway. Her's is a year older than your car, corrosion free so far.
"UK" car, or an Import? Ironically, imports have a reputation for having better resistance than "home" cars.
My Mk1 import is corrosion free bar the usual surface crumble on wishbones & other sundry chassis bits.
The price is a grubby engine bay due to factory wax...which is how it will stay.
Robin

Return to New Users