New Owner in Doune

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Owner in Doune

Postby krol » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:01 am

Turned 50 in February and decided to start the next half century the way I intend to carry on! Bought a 1998 Racing Blue 1.8i in May (having sold my 3yr old Mini with the intention of replacing it with a cheap runabout - just couldn't bring myself to be so sensible and boring).

Picked up the car from Leicester after my holiday and drove it all the way back home with the roof down. Got 3 toots from different lorry drivers and sunburned shoulders (what more can a girl ask for - apart from more toots of course?!) The more I drove it the more I liked it. However.......I LIKE it , I don't LOVE it yet. I can't seem to find a really comfortable driving position and I don't feel 'at one' with the car. Am I expecting too much or are the seats to blame? The seats are the original cloth ones with separate headrests and my back has been giving me hell ever since I started driving it. Those in my Mini were upgraded Sports seats and were superb. Any sage advice out there on MX5 seats? (By the way, the MX5 is MUCH easier to get in and out of than the Mini!)

Have already washed and waxed the car to within an inch of its life and removed every last vestige of the previous owner's debris (found £1 coin to boot!) Would like to tart up the inside with some wood trim but are the kits ok or are they naff?

Thanks

Krol (aka Carol - but university nickname sticks like glue - apparently a Dr Who adversary at one time)
Mk2 1.8i Racing Blue
krol

Postby Malc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:04 am

I have this image in my mind of you waxing the car - I'll have to lie down in a dark room. :shock:

Hope you come to love the car. 8)
Malc

Postby L111CHT » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:12 am

that's strange. i find the MX5 very comfy. i do have a red MK1 of course :wink:
L111CHT

Postby poing » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Welcome :D

I also find mine fairly comfy. It does give a bit of a numb bum after enough miles but normally having too much fun to notice. :D
poing

Postby Wesly » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!

I find my one very comfy... i normally have a bit of a dodgy back and neck, and my old peugeot didnt help it. but the mx5 doesnt seem to bother me.

could be to do with your seat position? i have mine fully back (as im 6ft :lol:) and its very comfy.. keep trying!!!! you'll be rewarded!

oh ps. you'll enjoy the summer alot more now with an mx5 :wink:
No more Mx5... but the MR2 is a beast and a half!

Performance over Chrome!!!!
Wesly

Postby Richardn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:24 pm

You need a wine box, drink the wine :D and you won't care

and use the bag as a lumber support
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DouglasH » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi Carol and welcome. Assuming its the Mk-2 you have. I too found the seats gave me backache, the cure is to take a piece of foam, roll it up and tape with masking tape or long velcro strips, look at the backrest material of the seats, you will notice there is an opening on either side, trim the rolled foam so that its not seen, black or grey foam is best, stuff the foam or lumber roll into the opening then push it out to fill the gap neatly, the roll now sits into the lower lumber area of your back. It will feel strange at first but it worked for me for six years.
DouglasH

Postby frank boyle » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:41 pm

HELLOOO and welcome.

Trust me, you will love the car, persevere with the seat it will work out just fine.

Love the blue.
frank boyle

Postby PaulDS » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:49 pm

:D

Any pictures yet?

At 55 and a legacy of back problems since an injury in my late teens, I must say I have no problems with my seat particularly since taking some of the base padding out to lower the seating position. Just play around with the settings and you will find a comffy position and then it will be WOW Betide anyone that shifts it :wink:

Welcome top the 5 experience
PaulDS

Postby krol » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:43 pm

Douglas' suggestion is very sensible and I'll give it a try but I rather like Richard's idea!
Mk2 1.8i Racing Blue
krol

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Welcome.
With regards to wood, it is much a question of personal preference. Some of the best 5 interiors, like the Montana & Gleneagles, contain it.
Here is a link where you can get some idea.
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/index.php/cPath/23_37
If you take a peek at my URL below, go Bruce & Penny, you can see my old fellah with bits of tree...this was standard..and I know the colour is miles from yours :wink:
Hope this helps.

Regards

Robin
Robin

Postby Detritus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Welcome Carol.

I'm surprised your seats are uncomfortable. Mine are the most comfy car seats I've had since my Austin Maxi. :?

But I am only 5'7" so maybe that's the reason. :lol:
Detritus

Postby Rugger » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Greetings, hellooooo, welcome aboard :D
1992 Mk1 eunos roadster.....gone to a new home
2006 Mk3 2.0 Sports

Founder member of PHD motor tractors association.
Rugger
OC Member
Andy Wylie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby L111CHT » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Robin wrote:Welcome.
With regards to wood....If you take a peek...you can see my old fellah

Hope this helps.

Regards

Robin

:shock: :lol:
L111CHT

Postby phantomsurfer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:18 am

Welcome from a fellow newbie, 3 days in and still can't get the smile off my face :D

Have to say that I'm finding the seats pretty comfy, then again I think my mate's Westfield has comfy seats so maybe I just have a well padded posterior :)
phantomsurfer

Postby jimk » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:13 am

Hi, and welcome from another new MX5 owner. As others have said play with the seat adjustments, I'm sure you'll find one that suits.

jimk
jimk

Postby krol » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the above.

Have just discovered the gap behind the padding Douglas referred to. Have been experimenting with a small cushion for the past couple of days and the situation is much improved. Confident that I can resolve the problem now. Have also had a few friends drooling over the car for the past couple of days which is great fun.

Krol
Mk2 1.8i Racing Blue
krol

Postby PaulDS » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:53 pm

krol wrote:Thanks for all the above.

Have also had a few friends drooling over the car for the past couple of days which is great fun.

Krol

:P Good in it when they do that :wink:
PaulDS

Postby graeme » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:41 pm

krol wrote:Douglas' suggestion is very sensible and I'll give it a try but I rather like Richard's idea!

The benefit of Richard's idea is you can inflate the wine bag to suit. I have that and it's very comfy!
graeme

Postby krol » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:43 am

I was thinking more about drinking the box of wine first!
Mk2 1.8i Racing Blue
krol

Next

Return to New Users