Newbie seeking advice

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Newbie seeking advice

Postby atwork » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Hi,

Firstly hello all.

Have actually joined the site on behalf of my gf who is currently seeking out her first MX5; which is both good and bad in that now she has decided she definitely wants one she is rather impatient to get behind the wheel so we have set up a weekend of viewings. She has at the very maximum £5k but would prefer to spend nearer £4k and ideally i think would prefer the 1.8 mk2.

Anyway, we have identified a number of cars which are fairly local to us and will hopefully be going to see some of these shortly. Firstly, from the below link, ignoring the top 3 does anyone know any of the cars - bit of a long shot, and also what are people's opinions about the better options (vfm etc), obviously this will depend on how they drive and what history each has etc, but do any of them stand out as having potential issues or alternatively as good deals etc.

Have been reading up on what things to check for (cambelt, rust etc), but with the weather being as nice as it is right now i am also trying to avoid her getting carried away and paying too much for the car.

Apologies for the rambling post, but any advice offerered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

link http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?page=1&searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=MAZDA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=MX-5&max_pr=&miles=40&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=eh49+6bu&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=27&ukcarsearch_full.y=2
atwork

Postby poing » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:54 pm

OK first thing first. How is the car to be used ? Mine is an every day car but other people use theirs as a weekend only car.

How many miles a year will she do roughly ? Add about 50% to your normal figure for an MX5, it has the effect :wink:

How long will it be kept ?

Also have a look on the main owners club forum where there is a car sale section, a lot of people here have traveled quite far to get theirs.

From your info and link, the T reg red 1.8 mk2 with 55,000 looked like a good (almost too cheap) price, and well worth the extra over the 1.6 above it.

Due to the nature of the car with rear wheel drive and a lot of owners not being used to it they end up facing the wrong way more than most. As such it's well worth checking for any accident damage and having the normal hpi check done.

Go to a dealer and drive one, even one that is way over your budget, then go to another dealer and drive another. That way if you buy a private one then you'll know how it should feel.
poing

Postby atwork » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. With regards to the questions, it will mostly be used as a weekend car so mileage should be limited to about 5k a year. As to how long it will be kept; not sure, but at least a year. We will of course be looking further afield if nothing turns up locally, but finding the time is a bit of a problem right now.....although there is a lovely looking RS spec on ebay right now.

I agree the Red 1.8 looks a good price; and we probs will be viewing it, although there is a question over the service history but we shall see.

Would imagine we have a good few drives ahead of us!!
atwork

Postby PaulDS » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Take your time, test many, there is a wide choice.
You will have fun and a hard time choosing no doubt.
Most of all, have fun and keep us informed.

:P
PaulDS

Postby frank boyle » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi there, and welcome

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... searched=Y

I should say first of all I am no expert, but there are several cars on the autotrader web site, There is a green one looks a wee bit expensive, but its low mileage. Its a 1995 1.8i 33,000 miles Manual, with black leather interior.

The previous advice is good, take your time, look at several, treat it likeany other car in terms of service history, mileage, MOT, lumps and bumps, corrosion, (look under the lip of the bootlid, its a favourite), damage to alloys .

Rear calipers seem to be a favourite fault, especially on older cars.
frank boyle

Postby Richardn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:35 pm

My advice would be travel and find a decent one.

Mine is rust free and 8yrs old. It came from Northhamptonshire, less salt used the further south you go.

and don't dismiss Mazda Roadsters
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Detritus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:52 pm

This weeks Scot Ads had a couple, one (a white one) had full service history
and wasn't expensive (from memory).
Detritus

Postby Richardn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:54 pm

Detritus wrote:This weeks Scot Ads had a couple, one (a white one) had full service history
and wasn't expensive (from memory).

You don't see many white Mk2's
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby hubba64 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:27 pm

can I just add that I agree with everyone else on here - take your time and test drive everything!!

Guy and I looked at loads of cars before we bought ours - some looked fantastic on paper - we travelled miles looking at cars, got to places and they were in terrible condition or there was something not quite right. We wanted a red car so hung back until a good one came along, that was hard I can tell you, but well worth the wait now! Good luck, cos you will have a blast once you get an MX-s and join the "community"

Kim :D :D
hubba64

Postby atwork » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks for all the advice folks.......we did manage to get out and look at a few (although these cars seem to take no time to sell so did not see as many as we would have liked), anyway, we have agreed a price on the green one. Looked nice and colour really suited the car. Only negative points were the alloys were in a dreadful state and will need a full refurb i would imagine; it has the rust in the boot (which i am guessing will not cost too much to sort) and drivers seat bolster was slightly warn. On the plus side, it looking a nice straight model; it had just had a full service, long MOT etc and not too many owners. So as long as all goes well tomorrow when we go and see it for a 2nd time it should be in the family next weekend.

So much for patience :roll:

Anyway, am sure i will have lots more questions when we get the car!!
atwork

Postby Robin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:05 pm

Would it be this one Atwork?
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CA ... =477460413
Good luck with it, like colour choice too! :wink:
Robin

Postby Dot and Chas » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:43 am

How did 2nd visit go?

Have you got it yet???
Dot and Chas
OC Member
Dot and Chas
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Richardn » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:56 am

Bought a Bronze one?????
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby atwork » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Ooops, apologies for the lack of update; was going to say something when we finally had it in our posession.

But, above is correct.....did not quite get to the 2nd viewing as a lovely Racing bronze one came up that we could not say no to. If all goes well it should be in our possession on Saturday :D
atwork

Postby atwork » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Ooops, apologies for the lack of update; was going to say something when we finally had it in our posession.

But, above is correct.....did not quite get to the 2nd viewing as a lovely Racing bronze one came up that we could not say no to. If all goes well it should be in our possession on Saturday :D
atwork

Return to New Users