We're booking a trip to Ireland, Scotland and Wales

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

We're booking a trip to Ireland, Scotland and Wales

Postby Northwest Yank » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Hello, I'm a member of the Mt. Hood Miata Club in Portland, Oregon; I own a 2002 Crystal Blue Metallic/Sport Package with a Hard Dog roll bar. My wife and I are starting to book a trip to Ireland, Scotland and Wales for August-September, and saw the information on the Braemar Highland Games; do any of you recommend this event? Also, though we won't have use of a roadster (my daughter will be with us) I wondered if you will have any events in early September where we might meet?
Northwest Yank

Postby -- » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Welcome.
Another Crystal Blue Sport owner! Hi in the meantime...watch this space.
--

Postby The Pram » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:29 pm

Hi there
the Braemar Highland Games is the most well attended games owing to the Queen and other members of the Royal Family being there. The village is particularly busy with several thousand people there. Get there early on the day as once the car parks are full you have nowhere else to go, unless you have accommodation with a private parking. There is strictly no parking anywhere in the village apart from the designated car parks (on the outskirts). Security is a major issues as you can imagine and there will be more police there than you can shake a stick at. I should be working there that day and we all turn up about 7am having left Aberdeen around 5am :shock:.
Your other option is the Lonach Games which is also very popular. see here http://www.worldeventsguide.com/event.ehtml?o=398
I could not say which is best since I only ever see them from the outside when working at them. Hope this help but maybe someone else would like to comment.
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Nice to meet both of you!

Postby Northwest Yank » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:53 am

Thanks for the information on the Lonach Games, but I believe they're on the 4th weekend in August (my wife has been doing a lot of web research) and that's the weekend we hope to witness our daughter win her age division in the All Ireland Music Competitions in harp.

She's been an apprentice to the director of the Irish Harp Orchestra since September of 2005 and the apprenticeship will end at the end of August. One of the last objectives of the apprenticeship will be to compete in the Limerick and Munster competitions during June and July, to qualify for the championship competitions on August 26th.

Now back to Miata/MX5---do I infer from your comment that "we all leave at 5am and arrive around 7 at Braemar" that your MX5 club caravans up and works the games, or you have another group that works it? When I suggested to my wife that if your MX5 group might be there, perhaps we could offer to work the event with you, she replied "We'll be on vacation!!!" Oh, well; perhaps I'll be able to meet some of you if we do attend.

Also, if you have spent the weekend working the games in the past, do you have any recommendations or connections for affordable lodging in Braemar for that weekend?

And I enjoyed the photos of your crystal blue. I wish they made a pre-formed rubber bumper license-plate mount like yours for our American-shaped license plates; the 1st owner of my car got the classic parking-lot other-car collision (usually backing up) that pushes the front license-plate bracket back until the two top bolts punch into the bumper. If I could locate one of your type I wouldn't have to pay a body shop to fill and paint those two small unsightly holes. If you know of the manufacturer of those rubber license plate brackets please let me know so that I can investigate.

And, to The Pram, very clever both in naming your car and your animated signature; I'm impressed. The first owner of my car, a Texan lady, just called it "My Baby"; I haven't thought of a name but I don't feel comfortable as a 57 year-old retired firefighter calling my car "My Baby".
Northwest Yank

Any other lodging information?

Postby Northwest Yank » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 am

My wife informs me (we're 90 miles apart but talking by IM while I'm writing you; technology has changed so much. There've been days when we were talking with our daughter in Ireland by cell phone while we were IM'ing our olderst son in Beirut at the same time; since I grew up with rotary-dial telephones and phone booths, these last few years have really been remarkable) that we'll be coming in from the west, from the Glen Lyon area, before Braemar. Does anyone have any lodgings they'd recommend within driving distance of Braemar or other things we should look up between Glen Lyon and Braemar (my wife's maiden name is Lyon, so we have to go there).
Northwest Yank

Postby -- » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks for your comments regarding the Crystal Blue. My wife has the new one, I get the old one.....so much for equality.
Regarding your licence plate a few of us use this supplier, but there are others.
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id/222
Required dimensions of your plate though? They are not rubber (plastic), don't take kindly to nudges. I have had to replace my wife's already following a very minor "moment" This may be picked up by a few of the experts (I am not) in the forum over the weekend if they are not tearing around with the hood down.
--

Postby The Pram » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:40 am

I think I might have confused you a bit. My day job is with the police so I have to work at the Braemar Games for them. We leave on mass from Aberdeen at about 5 because we get a security briefing there which takes forever to do. Its a long day, usually about 15 hours but good fun all the same. Anyway, moving on. Glen Lyon is lovely. I used to go there as a child when we hade friends live in a cottage there. I like the drive coming over the pass to Loch Tay, past the Ben Lawers range of mountains. There is a visitor centre there too.
Not too sure of where you could stay mind you but I would sugest you book something sooner rather than later. I guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend. At the bottom end there is a youth hostel in Braemar which is nice and a camp site. Not sure if they rent out caravans or not. Both a within easy walking distance of the games park. Have you tried looking at tourist info for lodgings?
The car got its name because my dad thought it looked like a pram with the hood down. It just kind of stuck :wink:
Lorraine
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Small world/big world

Postby Northwest Yank » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Thanks for the clarification, pram; and I've done many of your crowd control/security assignments. I originally was a police officer for 16 years, including 6 1/2 years on the State Police in California; even worked on Ronald Reagan's executive protection detail when he was Governor. And, of course, plenty of palace-guard type stuff at the state capitol, including demonstrations, picketers; I was even on duty the day that Squeaky Fromme of the Manson Family tried to shoot President Gerald Ford but didn't know how to check there was a round chambered in her .45 Colt Auto. The Secret Service agent that grabbed the gun did it the right way, grabbing the rear of the slide to keep the cocked hammer from falling; he got a nice cut on the web of his hand between index finger/thumb.

After 16 years and eventually moving to a medium-size city in Oregon, the Fire Marshal recruited me across to do arson investigations and train me as a Fire Inspector. Since we host a large air show every year (Blue Angels or Thunderbirds are regular attenders) I still got plenty of crowd control work, as well as making sure the vendors weren't going to blow the place up with faulty propane tanks or barbecues, gas-powered generators, etc.

So after that really long digression, thanks for the information about Glen Lyon; we'll be checking accomodations this weekend. We're heading east to Aberdeen after Braemar, perhaps we could meet? If you have any police or fire that trade t-shirts, I can bring some of my fire department ones and may be able to get some of our police ones before I travel.
Northwest Yank

Postby Richardn » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby findlay » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:09 pm

Hope we get the chance to meet up while you're here. Sounds like you're doing some very worthwhile research... You'll have a ball here I'm sure. Braemar is certainly the games to visit from a tourist perspective but I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting a room in the town...
Long term MX5-less I miss my 5...
My Picasa Albums... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/findlay69
findlay

Return to New Users