Wanted to say hi!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Wanted to say hi!

Postby Jo M » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:15 am

I've been lurking about your boards for a while now and finally decided to say hello as you all seem very friendly!! Just got my 5 a month ago and loving every minute of it. :D Didn't believe I could get so much pleasure from driving but I've been proved wrong. It's silver with a navy blue hard top which I haven't figured out how to take off yet! Actually since buying it it hasn't stopped raining, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all! Desperate to get the hard top off when I can make some room in the shed and rope someone in to help me take it off (helpless female, what can I say). By the way, I'm not a hairdresser! Don't know what my soft top is made of, think it may be vinyl but the previous owner has obviously folded down when wet as it has big white tide marks across it so when the better weather comes in I'll be out there with my nail brush. Hopefully all of you experts out there can help me out with all the questions I'll have about servicing etc! Due for it's 36000 service soon and been quoted £279 by Phoenix Mazda so don't think I'll be going there. Will be joining the club shortly when I get a bit of spare cash (could be some time!). On the waving thing, I've passed loads of 5's in Glasgow and noone has waved. I've been grinning like an idiot as they've sat next to me at the lights and they must think I'm some moron as they just blank me! Right enough if I've got my boyfriend in the car and someone waves at me he might go in a strop asking who was that waving at me, so maybe not. Fabulous forum and you all seem a really nice bunch of people so thanks for letting me lurk for the past month.
2003 Silver 1.8i MX-5 Navy Hardtop - Hardtop in shed yeahhh!!
Jo M

Postby Si » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:34 am

Welcome aboard! Good to see a lurker registering up........ :)

Got any photos of the car with the hardtop on?

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Jo M » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:43 am

When it stops raining (August?) I want to give it a nice wash and take some photos (the neighbours will think I'm nuts). Actually the excitement of me buying this car got my boyfriend in the mood for a nice car and he went out and bought an XK8 the following week so we're having a dual washing day the next time it's nice! His is a fantastic car but I still love my 5!
Jo M

Postby Si » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:46 am

An XK8?? Well if I have to wait until August for photos of your 5, tell us more about the Jag! ;)

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Rugger » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:55 am

Greetings Jo .......... Welcome to the land of the 5 :D :D
1992 Mk1 eunos roadster.....gone to a new home
2006 Mk3 2.0 Sports

Founder member of PHD motor tractors association.
Rugger
OC Member
Andy Wylie
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby L111CHT » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:58 am

welcome on board jo
L111CHT

Postby Jo M » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:04 am

No, I'm planning on washing it sometime this week if the rain lets up so photos will follow when I work out how to do that. The jag is fab. Navy blue, electric softtop, ivory leather interior, automatic with all the gadgets neither of us know how to work yet. Had a drive around a carpark in it (never driven an automatic before so kept slamming my foot on the brake thinking it was the clutch to the point that he said I was stressing him out and made me stop, that's why I never made it out of the car park). Parked side by side with my 5 mines was totally obscured, it's huge! Still love my 5 though even though his is more luxurious. I've added a chrome gearknob, chrome handbrake and leather gaiter and chrome windscreen wipers to brighten it up a bit but probably won't go much further than that. Still got to put my radiator grille on (bought in MX5 Parts sale), think that's a bit more of a difficult job for me as don't know where to start. Also don't know whether to get the hardtop resprayed in the future to match the bodywork although it looks ok, just not sure about it yet (has a few scratches on it which will have to be dealt with anyway). Will try to get a photo with the 2 cars together to show how weird they look, mines is like honey I've shrunk the car!
Jo M

Postby Jo M » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:19 am

Thank you for all your nice welcome messages so late at night. I'm only up so late as I've still to take the dog out for his business (talking of which, has anyone ever attempted to take a big dog (boxer size) in their 5? I usually take him to the park by car but haven't attempted it yet due to the mud etc but it seems a shame he should miss out on all the fun. It may be ok when the top is down but I'm a bit worried he spots a nice bitch and does a runner! Suggestions welcome!
Jo M

Postby DouglasH » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:20 am

Hi Jo M...welcome, why don't you join us at some of our events, you don't have to join the club right away, just come along for a few meets and see if its for you, oh and bring the Jag driver with you.
DouglasH

Postby -- » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 am

Welcome Jo.M from a Glaswegian "Xpat".
--

Postby Wesly » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Welcome aboard! where abouts in glasgow are you?

i'll be up in bearsden if i can find it over easter visiting friends . i always keep an eye out for 5's :)
No more Mx5... but the MR2 is a beast and a half!

Performance over Chrome!!!!
Wesly

Postby koolchef » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:22 pm

hey there - i've just signed up as well so am fairly new too.

read your posts. the front grill is easy 2 fit - if u have a 10mm spanner - i'd get it handy when it arrives - basically your loosing the screws where u'd get towed - and then sliding the grill up and then fastening it up again which holds it in palce. if the nuts are to tight ( no indecent comment there i hope) then you could use some cable ties - i know the grill your on about coz i got it the same place and yes in the sale as well. looks good - keeps you smiling even more about it.

am wanting the clear lexus rear lights in the sale too. i kno ppl like to keep it all original but i'd like mine to be unique.

hope that helps you. am in hamilton so i'll keep an eye out for a crazy lady waving at me from an mx5 in glasgow.
koolchef

Postby L111CHT » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Jo M wrote:Thank you for all your nice welcome messages so late at night. I'm only up so late as I've still to take the dog out for his business (talking of which, has anyone ever attempted to take a big dog (boxer size) in their 5? I usually take him to the park by car but haven't attempted it yet due to the mud etc but it seems a shame he should miss out on all the fun. It may be ok when the top is down but I'm a bit worried he spots a nice bitch and does a runner! Suggestions welcome!

I had a boxer, a big lad, he loved the open top motoring. gotta watch out for the flying slavers though :lol:
L111CHT

Postby frank boyle » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Welcome from me too Jo.

You will find this lot in equal measures informative and helpfull, and a bit daft too, especially if your car is red.

SDM in Falkirk wanted £360 for a 36 k service, apparently wanted to replace oil in diff, gearbox all brake fluid too, I have negotiated them down to £120 if I do these things my self.

Worth spending an additional £27 on a 4 wheel alignment too.

Bring your grill along to some of the clun nights, from what I have seen there are loads of helpfull hands about
frank boyle

Postby poing » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Welcome in Jo :D

The Jag may be more luxurious but the mx5 is more fun, and it's nice to have fun when driving. One little side effect of nice days is that washing it is difficuilt because you just want to go drive instead, oh and on nice days it takes longer to get home from work, normally takes me 30 minutes, took me 70 minutes today. B-roads are so much fun :D
poing

Postby Wesly » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:47 pm

frank boyle wrote:Welcome from me too Jo.

and a bit daft too, especially if your car is red.

i think you mean better looking? :lol: :P :P :P
No more Mx5... but the MR2 is a beast and a half!

Performance over Chrome!!!!
Wesly

Postby boydie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Welcome :D
boydie

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi Jo M. :D

Welcome to the forum. I've only been a member for a month and have met loads of people and made plenty of new friends, as lovely as the Jag is I'd lay odds that their owners club isn't as friendly as this one.

As for the hard top, I just removed mine from my mk 1 and it's a doddle.

Release the clamps from above the driver and passenger seats and it should just slide backwards then lift off. (Not sure but there may have been two more at the bottom of the door pillars. Old age addles the memory).

I got my dad and brother to help with mine as it's heavier than it looks and it's handy to have one person on each side and one at the back to steady it so it doesn't scratch the boot.

The retaining screws are under those two chrome things on the back, mine didn't need loosening or anything but if the roof doesn't slide backwards easily that could be the reason.

Cor it takes a lot of space to write something it only takes a few seconds to say dinnit?

Hope this is helpful.

Shouldn't worry about respraying the top, once you get the top down you probably wont ever put it back on again. 8) :wink:

Look forward to seeing you both at a meet sometime.
Detritus

Postby Stevie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Welcome Jo.

£270 is about the right money, For a Mazda dealer to do a 36,000 mile service.
If you think thats dear, :shock: Wait until you get a price for the JAG. :lol: :lol:
Stevie

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Forgot to say.

HORAY!!!! ANOTHER SILVER ONE.

GOOD CHOICE. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Detritus

Next

Return to New Users