Horrified/excited new mk4 owner in Moray

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Horrified/excited new mk4 owner in Moray

Postby Woody140 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello, I must apologise if this is an inappropriate first post, but I was driven to register after seeing the revealing post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14236#p95688. I am the proud owner of a brand new mk4 1.5 Sport in Soul Red (my first 5) and absolutely love it's character, peppyness, looks and cracking handling. I was looking forward to many years of happy roadtrips, unfortunately my enthusiasm has been somewhat dulled after seeing the above post and hope that Mazda will be willing to rectify this glaring oversight.
Woody140

Re: Horrified/excited new mk4 owner in Moray

Postby Chuck and Gill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Woody 140,

Welcome to the club and the forum.

I think if I had just splashed the cash on one of these cars I would be equally concerned.

At least you are aware of the situation and you can discuss with the supplying dealer.

It will be interesting to see what response that you get.

I will picking up a demo from the local dealer on Thursday( which they are lending to us for the weekend to do North Coast 500).

If I remember I will raise the issue and see what they are saying about it.
Charles & Gillian Sinclair
Area Coordinators Highland & Moray
Chuck and Gill
OC Member
Gillian & Charles Sinclair
Highland & Moray Coordinator

Postby OldSpice » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Mazda UK will not do a thing about it. Not obliged to in any way, so why expect them to?
Additional rot proofing seems to be a dealer option in Japan by some accounts. Unfortunately it's a bit far away. :shock:
On the other hand Eddie (Drumtochty) on this forum may agree to assist in stopping your new car dissolving prematurely.
I was speaking to someone really well informed last week who assured me they are also made in Sunderland. :roll:
News to me. Mind you, they know everything about nothing.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Mazda replied to a poster on the MX5 UK owners club forum today and they said sorry you are not happy about the corrosion protection we will inform our brand team about your remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:05 pm

But they all rot, it's part of the character :-) I don't think it detracts from the car. A boxster would last forever but is twice the price? If it's a keeper some underbody and cavity gloop is a small extra cost.
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby OldSpice » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:11 am

drumtochty wrote:Mazda replied to a poster on the MX5 UK owners club forum today and they said sorry you are not happy about the corrosion protection we will inform our brand team about your remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent.
Now sit back, light a ceegar, and await a national recall for full rot protection at their expense. Job done!
Or, bite the bullet and accept that they are, always have been, and likely always will be built to a Aldi price...get down and dirty and just DIY it if it's a "keeper"
If it's not..it's the next guys issue. :wink: Simples.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby tjay » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I was at Eddies and saw the underside of Ian's car !! Cannot believe Mazda UK response !! If it's any conciliation friends mk3 was in mates body shop last week and it had about as much rust on the inner wings the same places as all the marks before it !!
You will have to as Ian is doing and get I'd Dinotrolled or something similar.
Enjoy your new car !!!
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Woody140 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. I will be out tomorrow enjoying the good weather, fingers crossed and I will be popping in to Mc&D Inverness to see the after sales manager, as he wont return my calls. I will see, if indeed Mazda dealers can offer any resolution.

Chuck and Gill enjoy the mk4 this weekend, it sounds like a good run.

OldSpice, do you work for Mazda UK or are you a car salesman per chance? :D
Woody140

Postby IanH » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Woody140 wrote:
OldSpice, do you work for Mazda UK or are you a car salesman per chance? :D

Neither, he's probably one of the most experienced people you'll find in dealing with the results of Mazdas policy of constructing cars for the Californian climate and then selling them in Northern Europe.

Bottom line, if you're not happy with what you have bought (remember no offer of specific undersealing has been made) then you're likely going to have to deal with it yourself.

Even if you can persuade your dealer to do something about it how do you trust they have done a decent job and hit the likely trouble areas.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Yes,

MX5 drivers can smell Joan's scones at 40 miles.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 am

[quote="Woody140"
OldSpice, do you work for Mazda UK or are you a car salesman per chance? :D[/quote]

Neither thankfully.
However I am currently involved, owning both a Mk1 & a Mk2.5 for 9 years involved in my....3rd..... :shock: Hiroshima Rotmobile re-metalling exercise.
It's OK. You get used to it with liberal doses of Tramadol & Dinitrol. :wink:
Here you go Woody.'Ave some.

So...get rot proofing lad. Happy 5-ing! :lol:
OldSpice

Postby Woody140 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Top fettling OldSpice, looks better than new. :wink:

I've been quoted £300 + vat by MC&D's paint shop for a full underfloor Waxoyl treatment, more if I want any cavities treating.

So I will be waiting for drumtochty's self help post and 'aving a go.
Woody140

Postby OldSpice » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:19 am

This is the second backside rebuild on that car Woody. The last time, the top inner sections were judged solid..but they were not.
This time I put it into Foz in Kennet, who hold the repair franchises for most top marques you can mention including Bentley. They are a proper coachwork outfit..by far not the cheapest but we all know how that one goes.
At any rate, it's SWMBO's (newly retired) chariot and her cash/choice, so it will be a "pleasure & domestic" garage queen now instead of getting battered to bits in school car park. If we had not just spent a bomb on new all round brakes, a big service, Rota Gt3 alloys, and tyres frankly it may well have been stripped and sold for bits. Equally, at the end of it, she will have a perfectly solid Sport with a new lease of life whose oily bits are barely run in, and no "piano down a lift shaft" depreciation. There's never a right or wrong point of view in this, simply personal life-style choices. :wink:
OldSpice

Postby 71NotOut » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:55 am

Woody140 wrote:Top fettling OldSpice, looks better than new. :wink:

I've been quoted £300 + vat by MC&D's paint shop for a full underfloor Waxoyl treatment, more if I want any cavities treating.

So I will be waiting for drumtochty's self help post and 'aving a go.

I have my Eunos booked into Preserve & Protect in Johnstone for a full dinitrol treatment including cavities and wheelarches, etc.

Having spent 2 days on my back beneath my old mk2.5 Montana with it up on axle stands and doing it all myself, I would rather pay someone else to do it nowadays - i've bought that t-shirt and I could never get it washed clean after the experience :D
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sgibson » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Really impressive work Oldspice. I've been away from the mx5 scene for a few years (v spec in storage which I meant to sell, thankfully I didnt') and now getting back into it again. When I was last around, repairing Mk1 arches was rarely done as it was cheaper to skip to another car, but the scene has changed completely and full blown restorations are the order of the day. I actually find it all very fascinating and feels like we own proper classic cars now! My car will need work done, bought as a rust free car in 2009, but the sills have since blistered and its time in storage seems to have caused a layer of corrosion over all exposed steel and alloy surfaces :/ but hoping to get it back on the road soon.
sgibson

Postby IanN » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:05 pm

71NotOut wrote:I have my Eunos booked into Preserve & Protect in Johnstone for a full dinitrol treatment including cavities and wheelarches, etc.

Very interested to hear how this goes, still considering getting mine done there.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby iain cooper » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Yes please let us know it goes, I have heard good things about them.(some pictures would be great)

Thinking of getting mine done, 2013 graphite sport.

Iain
iain cooper

Return to New Users