Got one

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Got one

Postby ListonEunos » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 pm

No longer nomx5yet as collected a 1994 silver Eunos on Saturday. Drove well on way up from south of Manchester and looks good on my drive. Haven't had much time to look at it yet and the dark nights are not helping either. The weTher forecast for November looks good so I might use it on the odd dry day and sorn it till April. Needs a new gear knob as I don't like the carbon fibre effect one it currently has and it only has one key. I was wondering about that if I get spare cut does it need to be chipped to start the car. I'm guessing I could use to open the boot. That would be my main fear that I broke it the lock opening the boot. Would welcome any advice regards winterising car,thanks. :D
ListonEunos

Re: Got one

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm of the opinion that a eunos of that age does not have a chipped key.

If it was a UK supplied car that would not be the case.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bmv6197 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Eddie's right - UK cars with chipped keys started with the Series II cars in '96. As for Mk1 JDM cars (i.e. all Eunos Roadsters), I don't think they ever got a chipped key. My '96 Eunos certainly doesn't and it still has all its original keys.

As for wintering the car if you're planning to SORN it, for the last 3 winters I've used a Car Jacket (www.carbag.com) and it's been brilliant. Car comes out each spring as good as the day I put it away - even the brake discs are shiny without a hint of surface rust. The only down side is you need a garage (doesn't need to be dry one though, nor do you need power) and of course you can't really tinker with the car during those dark winter months without opening it all up again - worth having a second hobby (or a job)... It wasn't the cheapest thing to buy (about £280 landed in the UK) but it's already paid for itself in terms of saving me heating/dehumidifying my garage, or dealing with rust.

Cheers,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby ListonEunos » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks for the advice, I had a wee look underneath the car last night as I really hadn't given it an inspection, I took the sellers word for the condition of the car and it does appear to be as good as I hoped. Regards the key again, does that mean I can just have one cut at a shop?

Just need to get the tree sap marks off the car and give it a good clean, can you tell I'm not very mechanically able?
ListonEunos

Postby drumtochty » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:43 pm

You can have your old worn key copied at the local shop and due to wear it may not be great.

There should be a number on the key near the plastic cap.

This company will cut a new key from the number.

Details here

http://www.randrsecurity.com/Keys-Acces ... 5-Car-Keys
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:46 pm

There's a seller on eBay that does it as well, I had a spare cut from him.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby ListonEunos » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Eunos survived winter storage and passed MOT with no advisories, left the side lights on the other day though and flattened the battery.

Apart from that it's all good. :D
ListonEunos

Postby ListonEunos » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:42 am

Jings, that's just over 2 years of ownership and everything seems okay. For all the thoughts of what I'd like to do to the car, new alloys, spacers, roll cage. I've actually done zip and I'm just going to leave it stock.

So basically this year I think it's going to be a service, new tyres and a 4 wheel alignment - does that sound okay?

Quite fancy a mk2 rs but I think they're quite rare. Hopefully will enjoy another couple of years out of the mk1.
ListonEunos

Postby drumtochty » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Make sure the diff and gearbox oil are changed and the brake fluid and anitfreeze are also changed as it is very easy to say, "well I will do that nexr year".

We are all guilty of that.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users