Soon to be MX 5 Mk 2 Owner - Advice Please - Part 2!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Soon to be MX 5 Mk 2 Owner - Advice Please - Part 2!

Postby mysmeg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Well Im officially in love with the wee things, so I have to get one very soon - summer is all but over. Anyway Im going to see a couple more this week, private sales. One is a Nevada 1.8 and the other an "Angels" edition 1.8 as well.

I had only wanted a 1.6 as Im concerned about the fuel consumption - can anyone tell if there is a significant different with that? and also insurance perhaps? I really don't need 1.8 but these two are looking promising condition. One small put off - one of them has had 5 owners in 10 years, which I feel is an awful lot, but only 50000 Miles.

There is also a nice 1.6 basic model at Direct car sales Paisley, with 75000 on the clock, but dunno if it is just the marine colour that has interested me there !
Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Mags
mysmeg

Re: Soon to be MX 5 Mk 2 Owner - Advice Please - Part 2!

Postby drumtochty » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Buy the car on body condition nothing else as you are buying an old car.

Very little difference in fuel consumption 1.6 or 1.8.

With regards to insurance costs go on to an insurance comparison site and get a few quotes for different cars rather than asking here where you cannot get an accurate insurance quote from someone else s details.

We have the top down on our car from February to November as there is ice on our track in December and January usually.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Czinski » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:10 am

drumtochty wrote:Buy the car on body condition nothing else as you are buying an old car.

This is all you need to know - but I'll ramble on a bit more anyway!

I have a 1.8, all Mk2.5 1.8s have the VVT engine which has 146bhp and imo is a great engine, although not had much experience of the others. Mine's done almost 120k miles and is still going strong (although I've heard they can have a tendency to burn a little oil but mine doesn't) Managed to return 41mpg coming back from France the other week so fuel economy isn't bad either.

Insurance depends very much on your circumstances but I'm paying under £300 for a limited mileage policy.
Tax is quite pricey though at around £240 for a year for a 2001 1.8 so something to bear in mind if running costs are important.

I'd tend to go for the 1.8 if you're looking at a post 2001 car (Mk2.5) as its a slightly heavier car so the extra power helps but go for condition first - and take a good look at the front chassis rails as they are a weak point for rust that isn't checked at the MOT (there's a detailed thread on the main owners club site about this - scary reading but better to know now than when it's too late!)

To be honest you'll have just as much fun in a cheaper older more basic 1.6 as you will in a newer more expensive 1.8 with all the toys, I have the latter but would happily trade it for a mint condition early 1.6 - it's all about the driving experience!
2001 Mk2.5 Silver S-Vt Sport 1.8
Czinski

Postby Dax » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

Just a quick note, Direct car sales have had that car for sale for ages i saw it when i first started looking at 5's in October last year, so if you do go see that one dont listen to any bs about how many folk are after it and you better hurry up and buy it :lol:
looks like a nice car in the photos though, but probably overpriced if you know waht your looking at go private and if your not sure take someone who knows about cars.
what ever you buy you will love it 8)
good luck Gav.
Dax

Postby mazda-mender » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:45 pm

The Mk 2 and MK 2.5's are the worst for rot, if you get one in good condition, underseal her and get the box sections done and then you should be ok, the front members are the area to look at deep, if they are going it is scrap, also be on the look out for those sections being bodged for quick sales, sills and arches is the norm on this model because of the thinner gauge of steel that was used and how the sections were put together, but is now seen as cosmetic, the boot lids rot from the inside if they have not been treated in the number plate light area.
Check under the carpet for any damo or water on the passenger side as this is where the ECU lives, and if it goes wrong on a UK spec Roadster can bring on big money as it is all programmed together with the immobiliser system
The 1.8 Mk 2 engine in the !998 > 2000 version can use oil , not bad but if unchecked can run out whitch is not good news for the engine so use the dip stick to check not the oil pressure gauge as it is false, and is telling you nothing, that is way the Mk 2.5 1.8 VVT engine arrived in 2001 > 2005, it was not just a face lift modal as said through the forums
The Mk 2.5 version got less protection body wise as at the factory only the out side was painted, everything else was a gray gloss type under coat
The 1.6 cc engine was and is the strongest from day one MK 1 1989 > 1997 to the Mk 2.5 version ended in 2005 to make way for the MK 3.
History is a must,Services a biggie, don't worry to much about miles, but make sure that any work with the cam belt being done 100% as all models can suffer crank shaft ware if not done correct, it is not just a trait of the Mk 1 1.6 SNC engine that is also throw around the Forums.
The diff in the special edition models need to be tested the same as a 4x4 at MOT time NOT on the rolling road as this is killing back diffs and they are not cheap.
The brakes on all models need to be serviced correct other wise they will fail ,more so on the handbrake arms.
And just for the record in case anyone thinks i am attacking the MK 2's, i do own two, the brakes on my Mk 1 1993 are the same ones she lift the factory with because of being serviced correct as are the others on my other Roasters.
Once you find the right one, she will get in your blood, she will not just become ..."the car", you will understand when you get one, and getting rid of one is like losing an arm.
Condition is the key, no filler.
Hope some of that helps :wink:
M-m
Last edited by mazda-mender on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazdamenders.net
Mk 1 1993 black V.S II 1.8 fettled,...a lot
Mk 2 & a 1/4 1999 black & gold V.S 1.8 fettled,...a lot
Mk 2 1999 white V.S 1.8, waiting to be fettled
mazda-mender

Postby DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm

mysmeg wrote:Well Im officially in love with the wee things, so I have to get one very soon - summer is all but over. Anyway Im going to see a couple more this week, private sales. One is a Nevada 1.8 and the other an "Angels" edition 1.8 as well.

I had only wanted a 1.6 as Im concerned about the fuel consumption - can anyone tell if there is a significant different with that? and also insurance perhaps? I really don't need 1.8 but these two are looking promising condition. One small put off - one of them has had 5 owners in 10 years, which I feel is an awful lot, but only 50000 Miles.

There is also a nice 1.6 basic model at Direct car sales Paisley, with 75000 on the clock, but dunno if it is just the marine colour that has interested me there !
Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Mags

Hi,
If you need any assistance with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Postby mysmeg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Dax wrote:Just a quick note, Direct car sales have had that car for sale for ages i saw it when i first started looking at 5's in October last year, so if you do go see that one dont listen to any bs about how many folk are after it and you better hurry up and buy it :lol:
looks like a nice car in the photos though, but probably overpriced if you know waht your looking at go private and if your not sure take someone who knows about cars.
what ever you buy you will love it 8)
good luck Gav.

Thanks for that, I did get a call to say somebody was interested in it - yes, but it is still for sale -not the one for me.

Thanks to everybody for their indepth replies, a lot to take in, but I will print out the helpful tips and make a list of things to look out for in my continued search

Mags
mysmeg

Return to New Users