Aloha!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Aloha!

Postby al9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Hello folks! I posted on the other OC forums before I realised there was a specific one for Scotland, so apologies to those who've had to read this twice...

As of Saturday just gone, I'm the proud owner of a Mk1 1.6 Monza in BRG, she needs a bit of TLC but crucially is almost entirely rust free as far as I can see, actually looks like she's been sat in a shed for a few years. It's my dream car and I plan to keep this and get it back to full health, with no (well, few) expenses spared. As I said to my friend, I want to be sitting on my porch when I'm 70 with this in my garage in immaculate condition. :)

Drove her all the way up from Kettering to Aberdeen and had no dramas, aside from the traditional 'I've just bought a RWD drop-top' heavy sleet and hail for ten miles or so. Looking forward to the work starting, here's the preliminary list (comments and advice welcome):

- New boots (Dunlop Sport BluResponse 185/60 R14 H getting fitted Monday to replace the mis-matched ancient cracked ones)
- Get the alignment done (pulls to the right quite badly right now)
- Full service with cam belt, water pump and head gasket seals change (no service history and some oil seeping from the rim of the head gasket, if that's what it's called!)
- Getting some squeaking on initial revving just after startup, which goes away quickly if you just give it a wee squirt on the accelerator, so will need to get that looked at (initial research suggests alternator belt?)
- Complete new suspension (shocks, springs etc., current kit looks pretty rusted, will need to research this one)
- Stick 1.8 brake discs / pads / calipers on it (which will require 15" wheels and of course new tyres, so no rush on this)
- New stereo and speakers (current one is rafted, should be fun!)
- Fit central locking, alarm, tracker, immobiliser (as I'm a total diddy and have locked the keys in the car before)
- Boot release kit and cable (see above, belts and braces)
- Fix / replace the electric window system (it has a horrible bodged-job manual replacement at the moment)
- Will probably need a new hood at some point, might as well get a Mohair Mk2 one fitted with the tasty heated glass!

After all that, it'll be onto a chassis / panel de-rust and weatherproofing crusade. Will eventually do some smartening up of the inside as well, footwell / puddle lights and stuff, some nice iPod integration etc., just creature comforts. :D

I'll *maybe* get a PAS rack and bits, but non-PAS is starting to grow on me, feels like a go-kart and is actually quite fun!

Might also look into retro-fitting ABS, but it looks heck of an expensive with all the parts that need found / replaced... We'll see.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, look forward to popping along to meets and stuff to say hi! :)
Per Aspera Ad Astra
-= 1997 1.6 Monza =-
al9000

Re: Aloha!

Postby Dax » Wed May 15, 2013 7:10 pm

nice car good luck with it, my Mk 1 has no power steering and i love it, i like the way you hang on to the steering wheel in the corners. 8)
Dax

Postby al9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Cheers Gav, had it out for a short run today and the steering just keeps growing on me. :)

Should probably have said for anyone wondering, my name is Al, as in the song. :lol:
Per Aspera Ad Astra
-= 1997 1.6 Monza =-
al9000

Postby THE-DRUMBASSADOR » Wed May 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Welcome to the good ship MX-5 Scotland fella.
I am another newbie from Arbroath.
This is a fantastic site mate you will enjoy it hear
FAR EVER YAE MAY BE LET THE WIND BLA FREE
THE-DRUMBASSADOR

Postby IanN » Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Nice car welcome to the forum.

Why not bring it along to Pitlochry at the weekend and join in the fun.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Laverda 3ce » Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 am

Great intro Al.
Welcome aboard.
Hope you make it to Pitlochry at the weekend, to meet up with a whole heap of like minded souls. :D
Sandy
Laverda 3ce
OC Member
Sandy Smith
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby al9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:22 am

Hello, hello and hello!

Thanks again Ian for sorting out the site registration, and thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I hadn't realised the Spring Rally was this weekend, I'm off house hunting... Will get the next meet in the calendar so I don't miss it! Hope you all have a great time in Pitlochry, the bungee jumping is excellent by the way. :)
Per Aspera Ad Astra
-= 1997 1.6 Monza =-
al9000

Postby tjay » Thu May 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Al and welcome to the site, sorry to hear that you will miss the rally and hope house hunting goes well. Keep an eye on the forum for future events and runs, hope to see you on some.

cheers
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Hello & Welcome,

Hopefully catch up with you at a Grampian event before too long.

Ian
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Return to New Users