Hello from Dumfries and Galloway

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hello from Dumfries and Galloway

Postby Frazzle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 pm

I bought my 1998 R reg MX-5 1.8i Mark Two in May this year, because I found the insurance rather reasonable for a 20 year-old male. It replaced my 1972 Rover P5B 3.5 V8, and is a very different driving experience. I've used it a lot since purchase, clocking up around 8000 miles in the process. I find the driving experience pretty astounding, and I'm impressed at how affordable it is to run, and how easy it is to live with. It's a nice contrast to my other car, a 1967 Rover 2000 automatic, which I've had since I was 18, and I'm now 21.
I've done a few good trips in my MX-5, including the Lakeland passes, including Honister, Hardknott, and Wrynose. A trip through the Yorkshire Dales, taking in the Buttertubs was pretty fantastic too! Initially I got quite a few hairdresser quips, but most people who've been in it, or driven an MX-5 are soon very impressed wtih it!
I got it as a two owner car with full history from new, and a recent cambelt change. It's not perfect, but it's very good underneath, and I've thoroughly rustproofed it now. One of the arches has a few tiny bubbles, so they'll be dealt with sooner than later. Since buying it, it's had two new calipers, new plugs, leads, and a full service. It's also had 4 Avon tyres fitted which are an awful lot better than the mix it had on it when I got it, and ran it on for 3 weeks. So, in any photos where it has mismatched tyres, they were taken before it got new tyres.
There are a couple of bits and pieces which I'm going to sort out in the next month or two, including the exhaust, which is beginning to blow. I don't want a shouty exhaust, but I don't mind a little bit of a rasp, so I'll likely buy a stainless back box, but only if it's not noisy.
Here are a few photos of the MX-5, and one of the Rover.

I look forward to reading more, and contributing to the forum!
Frazzle

Re: Hello from Dumfries and Galloway

Postby JimF » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:47 pm

Welcome to the forum, looks as if you have been on some really good runs with the MX5. Lovely looking Rover as well.
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Not much of a change from driving a P5B I assume!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Richardn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Welcome

I am looking to get some activity started in the Penrith/Carlisle/Dumfries area
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Frazzle » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome! If you're wanting to start a meet locally, I'd be keen to help you out. Everything either seems to be in the Central Belt, or Manchester, in terms of car meets, from experience with other cars! There are so many good roads to explore too, so it would make sense to have a meet somewhere in Dumfries and Galloway, or Cumbria!
Frazzle

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:08 pm

A friend has a good few old Rovers

rovers_p5bcoupe_r.jpg
The P5b Coupe is identical to an MX5
rovers_p5bcoupe_r.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Attachments
rover_p5saloon_left_1.jpg
The P5b saloon is larger than an MX5
rover_p5saloon_left_1.jpg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Frazzle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am

I had the P5B as a daily drive for a short spell, but the insurance costs were becoming prohibitive, and that coupled with the fact that I actually preferred my far from perfect 2000 meant that it had to go, so the profit from the P5B paid for the MX-5.
At the start of this year, I also acquired a 1965 P5 3 litre coupe, as a project, which, according to the person it came from, had a seized engine, and not much else going for it. I got it running with the help of a friend within a day, and it drove up and down the yard without fault! Unfortunately, I soon realised that my skills didn't extend quite as far as I'd hoped, so, in light of the welding required, I sold it to a friend, who's continuing the restoration.
Here's a photo of the P5B about a month before I sold it.
Here's a photo of the P5B as it was being towed onto the lorry, onto pastures new.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a Rover fan, and have also owned a Rover 75 V6 in the recent past.
I'll be sticking with the Mazda and my 2000 for a long time though!
Frazzle

Return to New Users