water in boot

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

water in boot

Postby Ian M » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi there I am a relatively new MX5 owner, absolutely love the car (1.8 x pack 2006) we have just returned from our first 1500 mile trip (awesome!) Does anyone know why I am getting water in the boot space? I note from the previous owners receipts that water ingress was noted and drain tubes were blocked how do I find the tubes to clear them? I have removed all the panels from the boot space and cannot find any sign of water ingress within the space.
Thanks Ian M (Currie)
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: water in boot

Postby JimF » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Is it your hood drains that are choked.If so follow this link http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/40475.aspx
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Richardn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Mine were so clogged when I got it I had to use a screwdriver down the side of the upright trim (see picture in above link)
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ian M » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks guys I will give it a go and let you know how I got on.
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ian M » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Spent some time clearing drain tubes and water runs through freely, I don't think they were actually blocked so still no idea how water is getting into boot space. Any more ideas?
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 am

Ian M wrote:Spent some time clearing drain tubes and water runs through freely, I don't think they were actually blocked so still no idea how water is getting into boot space. Any more ideas?

Ariel seal, lamp cluster rubbers, a bung missing somewhere (it has happened) shut-line boot seals, but last and most unlikely, a dodgy rear end shunt repair you are not aware of. I stress, extremely unlikely.
Only other thing that I can think of is the rear wings have had the famed sill /arch rot replacement wings done and it's not been sealed properly. Again, unlikely but best to cover the bases since you don't need the backside rotting out with damp carpets. While you are at it, I would advise getting Dinitrol into the internal boot cavities and check for crusty bits around the boot lamps.
Bootlids were a warranty/rot replacement issue.
And further more, check the front chassis legs & PAS pipes asap. These were mine, just cut out and replaced last week. Mk2's/Mk2.5's are getting a rep for rampant rot.

To be candid about it these chassis legs are all that is between you and the engine/gearbox paying you a visit in the event of a frontal impact.
We don't have modern crumple zones as such,so they need to be 100% solid.

There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

The poster has a 2006 car so it's a Mk3 and will not have the Mk2 rust features we hope.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ian M » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for all the info however as drumtochty pointed out my car is a mk3 so hopefully wont present the same rust problems! Im still doing investigation work (watch this space)! :?
Ian M
OC Member
Ian Merriman
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users