Hi all from sunny Thurso

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hi all from sunny Thurso

Postby marcwild » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Helloo,

I have just joined the owners club as I have regularly used the forums for reference and thought I should pay my way as they have been incredibly usefull.

I bought my first (and not my last Im sure) mx5 last year and ahve loved it ever since. Its a great little car and the best I have owned. I have converted people who have referred to it as a hair dressers car by simply taking them for a spin with the roof down. One even went out and bought one himself the following week :wink:

I have carried out all my own maintenance on the car except for things like wheel alignment etc and am currently setting up to change the worn out bushings and replace them with the poly bushes. I imagine this will be the biggest job let and likely take me weeks but I enjoy working on the 5 as it has been designed properly unlike some french cars I have had the fortune to work on.

I dont see many mx5's up here and I think I have counted no more than 3 over the last year. Im sure more will start to come out of the woodwork when the sun starts to show.

My car is a MX5 mk2 1.8i Sport in British Racing Green

I look forward to talking to you all!
Living in Thurso, Caithness,
Own an MX5 Mk2 1.8i Sport in British Racing Green
marcwild

Re: Hi all from sunny Thurso

Postby The Pram » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi there. Welcome to the forum and the club. Your area co-ordinators will be popping in to say his soon I'm sure - Frankie And Brian (FAB to you and me :mrgreen: )

We, as in Grampian area, are up your way on the weekend of the 20th - 22nd. Its a long weekend "Over The Top" run. More details are here on the forum if your interested in seeing where we are headed.

Next time you are in our area, feel free to say hi. We have monthly pub meets in Oldmeldrum every second Wednesday of the month. Just heading there shortly actually.

And before someone else asks, show us yer car please :wink:
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
The Pram

Postby drumtochty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:47 pm

I think you have a 1.8IS not a Sport as that was a limited edition car in I believe red or blue with Bilstein Shockers.

http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/sport1.htm

The 1.8IS had ABS brakes, an electric aerial, chrome sill plates under the doors, colour coded mud flaps, electric windows and mirrors, standard fit alloy wheels at 15" diameter in 1999 together with key operated central locking.

That was over the standard 1.6I and 1.8I that came with steel wheels.

When the designer of the original car was asked what would you do with a car that had done a reasonable mileage he said new suspension bushes but standard ones. Unless you are going to do track days, the opinion is that the main change you will find after fitting harder bushes is a harsh and noisey ride but in saying that I have driven one car with this setup. It was great while throwing the car about but it soon got to be a bore when driving normally.

The oc site has these tools for members as a free hire which helps with this job.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/p/3 ... spx#212220

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby marcwild » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Right you are Eddie it is an S rather than a sport, pardon my ignorance.

I regards to the bushes I have been told the old bushes are perishing particularly in one of the rear corners, hence the tracking slips out fairly regularly. I am taking a risk mind in changing to poly bushes but I dont mind the harsh ride as I bought it to throw around the corners rather than cruise to work. Time will tell I suppose and I look forward to posting my before and after thoughts. I also plant whilst the wishbones are off to get them shot blasted and powder coated hoping to prolong their life. Been quoted by a place in Wick at £30 quid per corner which I think is a supurb price. I shall have a ganders later on to see if anyone else has done something similar.
marcwild

Postby marcwild » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 am

HI Lorraine,

As requested here is a picture of my car this time last year. Will be needing to take some more pictures really.
Attachments
eae1b4c84c404226a52885bcc4967a1e-RS.jpg
marcwild

Postby tjay » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi and welcome to the club as Lorraine says FAB will keep you up to date with whats going on via the website. car looks good and as you say "summer is coming" !! Yahoo!! :D :D
2007 Mk3 roadster/c/w electric hard top. Number 50 !!!
tjay
OC Member
tom + Jen mcginnis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby petrov » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Couldn't you have taken a better picture of your car than in front of all that rubbish ? :lol:
petrov

Postby MX5 4 FAB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Marc and welcome to the club!

Brian & I are your area co-ordinators (very new to this post an still feeling our way!) We do hope to get north at some point in the not too distant future to meet and greet those at a more northerly latitude than ourselves. We would suggest that you have a look at the events section of the website and check out what the Highland & Moray Area (Hi-5s as we are known locally) has provisionally planned for the remainder of the year. We meet at the Craigmonie Hotel in Inverness on the 1st Monday of every month, so if you happen to be in the area we'd be delighted if you could join us.

In the meantime enjoy your car - she looks great by the way!

Until we speak again, happy driving

Frankie and Brian (FAB)
Frankie
Hi-5s FAB
Ex-Joint Area Co-ordinator for Highland and Moray
MX5 4 FAB
OC Member
Frankie Grant
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Pram » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Car looks grand! Is that BRG or black. My eyesight is nae as good as it could be :?
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
The Pram

Postby marcwild » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Aye its BRG. It does look very dark in dim light
marcwild

Postby JimF » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Marc, welcome to the club. As you have already discovered, the MX5 brings enjoyment back to motoring
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users