First MX5 and in love

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

First MX5 and in love

Postby bb67 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 am

Hi Folks,

Forum inroductions are a relatively new thing to me, but here goes........

I drove my big sister's Mk1 in the very early days of this car and was simply blown away. I was amazed that I could have so much fun from what was such a relatively low power output.

The only car that I have ever compared to that experience was my amazing 1.6 205 GTi. The down and dirty driving fun was so similar and yet so different at the same time.

I'm all grown up now and I wanted a 2nd car which would go some way to re-living that fun. I decided to buy a Mk2 and after a whole lot of looking, I have just bought a very tidy 2003 1.8 Nevada.
God Damn.....I love this car!!!! How is it possible in this day and age to have such a lovely, fun car for such sensible money!!!? I looked at 350Z's, S2000's, Audi TT's etc and have no regrets buying the MX5. An extra 20,30....even 100bhp is always a temptation but when it comes to out and out driving feel, Mazda seem to have got it right.

Looking forward to learning from experienced forum members and hope that after some time I may even offer some worthwhile contributions.
bb67

Re: First MX5 and in love

Postby IanN » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 am

Hi bb67

Welcome to the forum and wonderful world of MX-5 motoring. :D
We all love our 5's for the very same reasons you just mentioned. Take at our future events pages and you could discover a whole new world of fun.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby Richardn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 am

bb67 wrote:Hi Folks,

Forum inroductions are a relatively new thing to me, but here goes........

I drove my big sister's Mk1 in the very early days of this car and was simply blown away. I was amazed that I could have so much fun from what was such a relatively low power output.

The only car that I have ever compared to that experience was my amazing 1.6 205 GTi. The down and dirty driving fun was so similar and yet so different at the same time.

I'm all grown up now and I wanted a 2nd car which would go some way to re-living that fun. I decided to buy a Mk2 and after a whole lot of looking, I have just bought a very tidy 2003 1.8 Nevada.
God Damn.....I love this car!!!! How is it possible in this day and age to have such a lovely, fun car for such sensible money!!!? I looked at 350Z's, S2000's, Audi TT's etc and have no regrets buying the MX5. An extra 20,30....even 100bhp is always a temptation but when it comes to out and out driving feel, Mazda seem to have got it right.

Looking forward to learning from experienced forum members and hope that after some time I may even offer some worthwhile contributions.

HEHE! you'll be in a minority there, :D all trying not to be!!

Welcome and enjoy it!
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bb67 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Yeah ok I was talking rubbish about being grown up. Maybe in age, but not in my attitude to life so it seems......as I am constantly reminded by my friends and family......apparently I'm "still a big wean."

Being on holiday all week means that I have washed, polished and conditioned every square milimetre of my new love. The hard top is hanging in the garage, in it's fancy cover and with a coat of polish on it. The soft top has been cleaned and conditioned and is looking amazingly fresh in blue.

I've burned a tank and a half of fuel since Saturday and have enjoyed every single second of it. Still struggling to get the rear tyres to lose traction, but maybe that's a good thing for now. Will get myself on to some quiet roads in the rain soon and work on un-sticking the rears.

You know, I spent a whole lot of time trying to decide what was the best fun car for me. Now that I have my 5, out of an annoying curiosity I still can't stop looking at and analysing what's out there. I am familiar with the pro's and cons of most cars and can honestly say that I have no regrets with my purchase.

As most of us do, I viewed and drove quite a few 5's, but the moment I saw my wee beastie, I was smitten. Its/his/her (still to decide) handling is as sweet as anything i've ever driven, but I do crave an extra 20 or 30 bhp..............ANY IDEAS??????

bb67
bb67

Return to New Users