MK1 gearbox

Details of Trusted and Recommended garages in the North of Scotland.

MK1 gearbox

Postby bigGandhisMK1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi all,
I currently have my mk1 1.6L engine and box out of the car, my gearbox needs a bit of a refurb hence could anyone recommend a garage or company that could do it

Regards
bigG
Aberdeen
bigGandhisMK1

Re: MK1 gearbox

Postby OldSpice » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Better just getting a replacement box tbh by the time you pay labour & parts.
Cheap as chips.
Try AK Automotive nr Newcastle, Junk Yard Dog, Autolink..or local scrappers.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Agreed with Robin do not waste time trying to fix a gearbox unless it is an easy fix.

Exactly what is the problem with the box
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Matt C » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:45 pm

If it's a problem with it not engaging having been in reverse, try the trick in this link:

http://youtu.be/cdgzilEXQL8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt C

Postby bigGandhisMK1 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:57 am

Cheers guys, I will check out a replacement. Luckily I am not in a rush, I have bought a reconditioned short engine with the upgraded crankshaft as my own one died a death after a temp fix of 18 months ago so its swop out time with all the bits and pieces. No doubt I will have other items on my shopping list once I start.

The gearbox is not bad really, the 2nd gear is notchy to get in, I did change the gearstick bushes/cups etc which improved it a bit but would prefer it to be a slick shift.
bigGandhisMK1

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm

The change can get iffy if the clutch slave cylinder is getting on a bit and changing that for a new one can help but it would tend to be in all the gears.

Refilling the gearbox with 2 litres of Castrol Multivehicle 75W/90 or Redline MT90 helps if that only happens when the oil is cold but the change is a lot better when the car warms up.

Do not use any other gear oil and no, not any other type of Redline or Castrol gear oil.

Some MX5 gearboxes are just a bit sticky going from 1st to 2nd. Therefore getting another gearbox could be a bit of a lottery in that case.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:16 pm

If you plan to replace the gearbox, you might want to consider fitting a mk2 box - my previous mk1 had a mk2 box fitted, I found it to be a noticeably smoother shift. and with the number of mk2s being retired due to rust issues, you should pick one up for £not much.
gm

Postby bigGandhisMK1 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi All,

After some thought, I have punted my gearbox out for a refurb to NWT in Yorkshire and it is due to be collected any day soon. This way I know it will be right when it eventually goes back in. I will keep you posted on the outcome and the service I have received.
My rebuild parts list has grown a bit but will include new clutch, clutchplate, clutch bearing, flywheel spigot bearing & new slave cylinder amongst others. Currently awaiting all these parts and others to finish the engine rebuild, which is slightly more complicated than I first thought. Due to this I think all my spare beer money has now gone !
bigGandhisMK1

Postby drumtochty » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:37 pm

bigGandhisMK1 wrote: Due to this I think all my spare beer money has now gone !

Surprise, surprise!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to North Scotland Garages