Alloy Wheel Refurb / Powder coating in Aberdeen or shire?

Details of Trusted and Recommended garages in the North of Scotland.

Alloy Wheel Refurb / Powder coating in Aberdeen or shire?

Postby MorvO » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Folks

Any recommendations for Alloy Wheel Refurbishment / Powder coating companies in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire?

Regards
Morven
MorvO

Re: Alloy Wheel Refurb / Powder coating in Aberdeen or shire?

Postby bmv6197 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Would recommend Motorwerks on Forest Ave Lane - Scott's great to deal with and although I've only used him for tyres so far, the wheels I've seen him refurb have looked top class.

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby IanH » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:46 am

Good to know about Motorwerks.

Another one is PPS Glassfibre in Inverurie, they do powdercoating, you have to deliver the bare wheels without tyres to them though which can be a bit limiting sometimes.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby RichandMo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:05 pm

There's a chap out at Newburgh, who is seemingly good, never used him though
RichandMo
OC Member
Richard Parker
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Used PPS on my DD as the most cost effective way (and spray booth is out of action at the moment and the rims had started to leak at the interface with the tyre). Tyre services in Altens did a cheap remove/remount job. This is a powder coat process so might be questionable on Jap alloys due to the temperatures used. Nice finish but need to take folding stuff with you. Monday midday = Wednesday afternoon ready. They did not mask off the faces, central mounting bore or the nut seats. Best you wire brush the mounting faces back to bare metal and test fit to the hubs (I had to scrape them back as no decent grinder mounted wire brush could get in there).. and do that before they mount tyres as the paint is so thick it affects the balancing (if the mounting face paint is not level). Expect to retorque after you first decent drive as the plastic will melt under the nuts. The brand new 40 section tyre and freshly painted rim lasted 7 miles :-( before it was curbed to death .. my fault; getting too used to driving 4x4 tanks!

The mobile guy down at Laurencekirk area (Blasted Alloys) stopped a while ago FYI.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to North Scotland Garages