Aberdeen bodyshop recommendations?

Details of Trusted and Recommended garages in the East of Scotland.

Aberdeen bodyshop recommendations?

Postby Dan_Mosca » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Its time for me to get the rear arches done on my Mk2.

Has anyone any recommendations for body shops in Aberdeen or surroumding areas?
1999 MK2 1.8i S in Silver
Dan_Mosca

Re: Aberdeen bodyshop recommendations?

Postby BoabG » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Hopefully yours is only the arches, mine is in the body shop. The rear arches turned in to the inner arches and when arches removed found the sills at the rear were also gone. As I love my wee 5 I decided to get a full resto on it. Got some pics from body shop yesterday I'll post them up tomorrow when I get to work.

Good luck, I only know body shop in Angus though sorry.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Dan_Mosca » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:23 pm

cheers Bob, who is your body shop in Angus? I'm regularly in Dundee so it could be an option.
Dan_Mosca

Postby BoabG » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm using east coast paint shop in Arbroath.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bmv6197 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Try dropping by On the Road Again in Peterculter. George has done plenty of MX5s and despite a pretty, old-school run-down building, he always does an excellent, thorough job. No bodges or short-term fixes here, and very reasonably priced.

I've been taking my cars to him for years. Only potential downside is that when he does painting, he colour-matches by eye, which if you're a bit OCD like me, might not be ideal.

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby liathach » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:18 pm

I was pleased with Steve Reid, Coneyhatch Farm, Netherley, AB39 3QE Tel 01569 764257. I was only getting scratches fixed but it looked a very professional operation. A friend has also been using him for paintwork for a few years.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby Dan_Mosca » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Brad surely if I was to give George at On the Road the paint code he would use it wouldn't he?
Dan_Mosca

Postby bmv6197 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Dan - he'll be able to find the paint code from the sticker on the door frame, but the issue is that those often aren't reliable (especially if the car has had any/some/all panels repainted previously, or if it has faded, etc, etc). So for a perfect match you need a paint shop that does a more sophisticated colour match. I had my front bumper resprayed elsewhere a few years back and they used something they called spectral matching, and the match was perfect.

That said, George does a pretty good job, and my wife can't see when I try to point out in certain light that the area George resprayed is slightly different, so it really depends on how fussy you are. The thing that was important to me more than how perfect the colour match was, was whether the structure of the car was perfect. I had the very early signs of rust at the bottom of one of the rear arches of my Mk1, so George stripped it back, found a spot about the size of a 5p piece that when poked went right through the outer wing (as we all know the rust always starts on the inside of these cars), so he cut a strip along to make sure there was no more, to treat all the metal and to apply weld-thru prime inside, reformed a new piece to fit, welded it in place and then rustproofed the entire interior of the wings and sills on both sides. He knew I wanted peace of mind and took photos throughout showing how thoroughly it had all been done. That was a few years ago and it continues to look like new. So I can live with the odd moment when I can see the minor difference in colour in certain lights.

Of course, you could get him to do the panel work, then take it to a paint shop to finish things off, thereby using the people who have the best skill sets in each area... I've heard North East auto body in the west end are good paint-wise - never used them myself though.

Whichever route you take, you probably need to get your front chassis legs checked at the same time - given the way Mk2s seem to succumb to rust there, it might make the rear arch repair unnecessary/uneconomic anyway.

Good luck.

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Return to East Scotland Garages