Knockhill Mot for Track Days

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Knockhill Mot for Track Days

Postby DouglasH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:01 pm

I don't think this applies to any of our participants but just in case anyone is planning to trailer their non road car in June.

In 2007 all track cars must have either an MOT certificate or a 'Knockhill Scrutineering' certificate. If you have a track car without an MOT certificate we need you to come to the Circuit on Sunday 14th January and an official scrutineer will 'certify' that your car is track legal. This will be on a first come, first served basis and will be available from 9am. Cost £25.
DouglasH

Postby Richardn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 pm

from the same e-mail

RULES!!! DON'T FORGET...

ALL drivers must show their driving licences
ALL vehicles must be fitted with a towing eye
ONE spin and you're in the sin bin, TWO and your going home!!
ALL overtaking on the straights only
ALL drivers MUST attend a safety briefing before going on track
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby MichaelG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:30 pm

Richardn wrote:from the same e-mail

Uh Oh...... :shock:

Can someone explain what this means? Not being daft just sounds like a common thing to happen is it not?!

Mike
MichaelG

Postby sgibson » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Rumour has it that Knockhill are finally getting there act together as insurance companies were finding out about the ned-banger-destruction-derby nature of the hot-hatch days and were not insuring for track days there. Apparently..
sgibson

Postby DouglasH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:58 pm

Michael...it may be common elsewhere but not with us, basically it means that if the spin is serious enough to warrant the red flag and a tow truck being used to pull you out the gravel or grass, then the track event is halted until the track is made safe, this eats into the two hour session and gets other participants annoyed, I watched a track event a few years ago when the same guy kept spinning off, thus halting the session, his last spin, where he sheared a tyre and damaged his car was enough to make the clerk of course terminate the session with twenty minutes remaining, this particular car club were really pissed off with the driver and made it clear to him.
Normally (although Knockhill could be clamping down on this) minor spins may be tolerated if they don't disrupt and the car does'nt leave the track, again they would certainly pull you in if it kept on happening.

We don't want, we don't need and we won't allow idiots to take part in Central Scotland Track Nights, If anyone thinks they can put their name down and automatically take part they have another think coming, likewise if you or anybody else see's a name on the list that you think would jeopardise our perfect safety record I would expect you or them to let Gavin or myself know discreetly and by the way this has been done before.
DouglasH

Postby findlay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:59 pm

MichaelG wrote:

Uh Oh...... :shock:

Can someone explain what this means? Not being daft just sounds like a common thing to happen is it not?!

Depends how hard you're trying and how reckless your driving is... Someone driving well at 90% is much less likely to spin than someone pushing the car's limits further than their own. :wink:
Long term MX5-less I miss my 5...
My Picasa Albums... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/findlay69
findlay

Postby DouglasH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 pm

RULES!!! DON'T FORGET...

ALL drivers must show their driving licences
ALL vehicles must be fitted with a towing eye
ALL overtaking on the straights only
ALL drivers MUST attend a safety briefing before going on track

Cheers Richard...for obvious reasons I decided not to copy that part of the mail and would certainly have posted it nearer the time of our Track Night or after further clarification was sought.
DouglasH

Postby Richardn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:29 pm

I don't think we have a problem with those rules (ducks towing one!)

The spinning one is to dter the idiots they seem to be attracting

Dreadnought days and ours have seen very sensible driving

Needless to say count me in for our trackday, will probably do Dreadnought one

Wouldn't be caught dead at a hothatch day
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby MichaelG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Thanks Douglas!

I didnt want that to sound like I will be spinning all over the place was just making sure I understood it fully!

I would love to put my name down if this is ok?

Mike
MichaelG

Postby -- » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:52 pm

I watched a video recently, posted by RocDoc I think, of an newish Blue RX8 meeting it's end at Knockhill, perhaps driven with more speed than skill. Had that been an open MX5....Hard Dog or not...curtains?
Mike, my 18 year old (non driver) son read this thread...and turned round to tell me...No way Dad...dont even think about it! He is right...again :!: I had a hard enough job keeping up with the guys on Sunday! :cry:
--

Postby MichaelG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:15 pm

Ecosse wrote:Mike, my 18 year old (non driver) son read this thread...and turned round to tell me...No way Dad...dont even think about it! He is right...again :!: I had a hard enough job keeping up with the guys on Sunday! :cry:

Owell, Im willing to give anything a bash once :lol:

Its all a bit of fun!
MichaelG

Postby Pauly » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:47 pm

Mike, I've got my name down for the track evening too and it'll also be my first time. Us noobies can stick together :lol:
2003 Silver 1.8i Sport
Pauly

Postby -- » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:22 pm

Mike..please don't say bash...please :shock: :wink:
--

Postby ceathorne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:51 am

They don't say if they're banning people who blow their engine :oops:

Ecosse dropped in to say "Hi" today - nice to meet and put a face to the name, and nice looking '93 BRG.

Apparently Sunday's run was pretty spirited despite the weather - Robin seemed to enjoy it no end! Now I'm back up and running must take a Sunday off one of these days and join in.

Anyway, haven't spotted when the next track night is, but put my name down Douglas - that is if I'm still allowed ?? :)

Robin, you can come out for passenger rides on track without risking your new baby - I'm sure that I wouldn't be the only one offering a few laps in the 'sidecar' !
Colin Eathorne
1992 1.6 S-Special Roadster
Brilliant Black
JR-CAI, 14 degree timing, RockDoc's AFM, cat-bypass, Larini s/s exhaust, gold BBS's, Eagle F1's, big brake upgrade, roof by RichardN ... still with a broken back bumper and usually filthy!
ceathorne

Postby -- » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:53 am

Thank you Colin, I will take the offer up if I may. In return, I will personally check your dipstick to ensure there is more than dust at the end of it :!: :lol:
--

Postby Richardn » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:22 am

Ecosse wrote:I watched a video recently, posted by RocDoc I think, of an newish Blue RX8 meeting it's end at Knockhill, perhaps driven with more speed than skill. Had that been an open MX5....Hard Dog or not...curtains?
Mike, my 18 year old (non driver) son read this thread...and turned round to tell me...No way Dad...dont even think about it! He is right...again :!: I had a hard enough job keeping up with the guys on Sunday! :cry:

IIRC Comments by RX8 owners along the line he worked for it, he deserved it :shock:

The Track day with us is not a dangerous affair. It is a time to drive your car as fast as YOU want. SAFELY

People going faster will pass on the straights, and not pressure you.

Knockhill are good on private trackdays. On a Dreadnought night they black flagged a guy, as they weren't sure about his control, and sent an instructor out with him! He's not been back
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby -- » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 am

Thanks Richard. I sent an Enquiry Email via your website. Have you picked it up yet?
--

Postby MichaelG » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:48 am

Richardn wrote:The Track day with us is not a dangerous affair. It is a time to drive your car as fast as YOU want. SAFELY

Yeh I was there with Boydie last time round and thats why I cant wait to get on the track :twisted:

Just worried about my poor tyres :P
MichaelG

Postby Gordon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:18 pm

Our trackday is an extremely well disciplined, family day out, I was perfectly happy for my 18 yr old son to take my car round the track and he enjoyed the experience immensely.

I'll be there again this year and will happily offer passenger rides for anyone that wants one.
--
Gordon
Previously Kermit, Classic Red NA
Now Bottom, Blue NB RS Ltd
Gordon

Postby findlay » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:25 pm

Richardn wrote:
Ecosse wrote:Knockhill are good on private trackdays. On a Dreadnought night they black flagged a guy, as they weren't sure about his control, and sent an instructor out with him! He's not been back

Thats good to hear, I've never done a trackday at Knockhill purely after seeing the Hot Hatch events and the nutters that they seem to attract with a wish to destroy their cars and don't mind who else they take out along the way. My old 205 Mi16 track car had a few scuffs from those types when its previous owner did HH days. He didn't appreciate getting bumped :evil:

Marshalling, in my experience, varies from non-existant (see FCS 06 and Knockhill) to extremely professional depending on where you go. Fngers crossed Khill keep up the progress and get their reputation back...

At least when its a club you can invariably go up to someone and have a quiet word about their driving. You don't know what sort of nutter you could approach under other circumstances.

I know the SIDC and Scottish Elise nights have been much less action packed :D
Long term MX5-less I miss my 5...
My Picasa Albums... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/findlay69
findlay

Next

Return to Motorsport