An invitation to Doune hillclimb in September

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

An invitation to Doune hillclimb in September

Postby Dumfriesman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Scottish Lowland Speed Championship-an invitation to Doune!
Postby Dumfriesman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Well....we have now had all but the final two events for this 2014 season.
Yesterday was a very windy hill climb at Forrestburn...but at least it stayed dry on the track.
There were 8 of us there,and many posted personal bests.
The top four are now separated by 3.92 points...with only Doune hill climb on September 21st and Kames sprint in October to go!

The organisers of the Doune hill climb have extended an invitation to all members of MX5 Owners Club to attend at 50% discount off the normal £5 fee.
If we have enough persons interested,there will be a designated parking area for members' cars.

I have been asked to coordinate by Doune,and if you are interested please go through your Area Coordinator,or contact me directly if you wish.

We are a friendly bunch and welcome any enquiries.Look at our web site www.eunosecosse.co.uk
Dumfriesman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: An invitation to Doune hillclimb in September

Postby G-Bob » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 am

Hi there

I had a look over the car regs on your site and my car seems to fit the bill but I need to check a couple of things:

1.Where can I get a list of 1A and 1B tyres to see if I am complient
2. In the trim section it says “full trim will be fitted with the exception of carpets/sound deadening.”. Does this mean I CAN run without carpets or I HAVE to run without carpets?
3. What kind of equipment/license I would need in order to do this?

Looks like good fun and I’d like to have a shot either this year or next.
Thanks Guys

Bob
G-Bob

Postby G-Bob » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Think I've found the answers to a couple of the questions:

1. Found here: https://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/187_196_Common_Regulations_for_Permitted_Tyres_(L).pdf

3. Would need a national B license and full race suit, gloves etc.

Another question, What kind of costs would I expect for each round in the series?
G-Bob

Postby Rg72 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi bob,

You would need a fia approved race suit. A snell sa2010 approved helmet, and fia approved gloves.
You would need to join a car club : East ayrshire car club or monklands sporting car club are the 2 i am a member of £20 per year
Most events are normally between £65 and £75 per day. Doune in June and September are 2 day events and cost £110 for the weekend.
Come along to doune in September we are a friendly bunch
Cheers Ross
Rg72

Postby G-Bob » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm

So no licence required?

I'm a member of eacc and sscc already, and that's a little cheaper than I thought it would be.

I'll pop up in September with or without my car to have a chat and see what its all about. :)
G-Bob

Postby Rg72 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes msa national b licence
Rg72

Postby kevham » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 am

Rg72 wrote:Yes msa national b licence

Club membership - £25
Non-race National B - £43
FIA race suit - £80 (s/h)
FIA gloves - £40
Approved helmet - £value of head (my head was worth £500)
Timing strut - pennies
Ignition sticker - pennies
Towing strap - a few quid
Yellow tape on battery negative - pennies

You could be up and running for £2-300 if you are prepared to buy a s/h suit and one of the cheaper helmets.

Good thing is, if you hate it, you can always sell the gear again.

Kames in October would be a good event to start since you know your way around there.
I would be there - I've got my licence and still have all the gear - just don't have a car now.....
1998 Mk2 1.8i - owned 2004-2010
1998 Mk2 Roadster VS - sold to MX5parts.co.uk
1994 Mk1 1.8iS - owned 1998-2001

Visit my blog www.racingfive.co.uk
kevham

Postby G-Bob » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks Kev.

What are you driving these days?

I still go out for runs with the VX guys and we actually have Kames booked a fortnight after the event there. (typical timing).
I never knew there was a "non-race" licence. All the ones I've been looking at are about £280-300. Where can I sit the test for a non-race licence?

The other costs don't seem too bad at all and I've already had offers of timing struts etc. from a few others. :)
G-Bob

Postby Dumfriesman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 am

Hi G-bob
It looks like all your questions have been answered by Ross and Kev...
there is no test for a Non-race Nat B licence...fill in the form and send your cheque...that simple.
why not come to Doune next month,have a chat,look at the cars etc???
John McGill
Sec/Treas MX5 Register
Dumfriesman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby G-Bob » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks John

Yeah I'll pop along for a look and a chat. Really interested in getting involved but have a feeling it will be next year.
G-Bob

Postby Dumfriesman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Yes...come along....chat with us...everybody is very helpful even though we are competitive.
No hang-ups about helping each other with suggestions to go faster,even if it means the guy beats you! LOL
It should be quite heated at Doune...Ross is trailing by 0.84 points and he is THE MAN at Doune!
That's in the Register championship...in the Lowland...he is 2.28 in the lead!
Dumfriesman
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby kevham » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:14 pm

G-Bob wrote:Thanks Kev.

What are you driving these days?

I still go out for runs with the VX guys and we actually have Kames booked a fortnight after the event there. (typical timing).
I never knew there was a "non-race" licence. All the ones I've been looking at are about £280-300. Where can I sit the test for a non-race licence?

The other costs don't seem too bad at all and I've already had offers of timing struts etc. from a few others. :)

Bob,
I'm "between cars" at the moment. Three kids cost too much to justify a race car. I never really recovered from selling the VX (which I actually bought from a guy in the MX-5 club). I keep looking for a cheap, straight Eunos but haven't found the right car at the right price at the right time yet.....
Good to know that the VX guys are still on the go - really great cars - I'd have another tomorrow if I could afford it.
You should get along to Doune and see the mx-5s in action. The competition is incredible. Best thing in sprints/hillclimbs in years.

kevham

Postby G-Bob » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:45 pm

kevham wrote:
Rg72 wrote:Yes msa national b licence

Club membership - £25
Non-race National B - £43
FIA race suit - £80 (s/h)
FIA gloves - £40
Approved helmet - £value of head (my head was worth £500)
Timing strut - pennies
Ignition sticker - pennies
Towing strap - a few quid
Yellow tape on battery negative - pennies

You could be up and running for £2-300 if you are prepared to buy a s/h suit and one of the cheaper helmets.

Good thing is, if you hate it, you can always sell the gear again.

Kames in October would be a good event to start since you know your way around there.
I would be there - I've got my licence and still have all the gear - just don't have a car now.....

Are there any places you would recommend for getting 2nd hand equipment from? I’ve had a look on ebay but there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount on there.

I’ll buy the helmet brand new.
G-Bob

Postby kevham » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:34 am

G-Bob wrote:

Are there any places you would recommend for getting 2nd hand equipment from? I’ve had a look on ebay but there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount on there.

I’ll buy the helmet brand new.

I bought my suit from eBay but I had to buy and the resell three suits before I got one that fitted me. Other places to try are www.uphillracers.com and www.scottish-sprinting.co.uk

Gloves from former British Sprint Champion at playskool.co.uk - he also has other kit at good prices.

kevham

Postby G-Bob » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Cool, I'll take a look.
G-Bob

Postby G-Bob » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Quick question,
The regs state : full trim will be fitted with the exception of carpets/sound deadening.

Does it have to be standard trim or can different seats be used?
G-Bob

Postby Muntedog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:12 am

Hi Bob

Race seats and harness can be fitted along with a rollbar and smaller/race style steering wheel if you so choose.
Muntedog
OC Member
Fergus Haggart
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Muntedog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:31 am

As far as buying things second hand I got a rollbar, race seat, harness and seat brackets all second hand, a great way to save money and it's all in good nick.

Still looking for some other parts second hand also but with the end of the race season not faraway more will come on the market.

Im building for next season also so theirs plenty of time to get it all together, but go to Doune if you can and meet the other guy's racing chat to them and check out their cars is the best option for info and help.
Muntedog
OC Member
Fergus Haggart
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby G-Bob » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 am

Good to know guys.

I'm still trying to keep my car as a an occasional road car so don't want to go too extreme, but have my old vx220 mates on the lookout for seats as they are much more supportive while still being road car seats.

Does everyone generally use harnesses or do some run normal seatbelts? I currently run with a normal belt and CG lock which I like and holds me in quite well.
G-Bob

Postby kevham » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm

G-Bob wrote:Good to know guys.

I'm still trying to keep my car as a an occasional road car so don't want to go too extreme, but have my old vx220 mates on the lookout for seats as they are much more supportive while still being road car seats.

Does everyone generally use harnesses or do some run normal seatbelts? I currently run with a normal belt and CG lock which I like and holds me in quite well.

I ran with 4 point harness but retained the inertia belt for road use. Its easy to do on a Mk1 but a wee bit trickier on a Mk2. I had some detailed posts on Nutz but that was back in 2007 or 2008. Might still be there but I doubt it.

I also ran with an Elise seat for a while before fitting a Kirkey aluminium seat.

kevham

Next

Return to Motorsport