Knockhill layout change

.... for those that enjoy 'tracking' their car.

Knockhill layout change

Postby Si » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31 pm

Hi guys

I got a leaflet through the post recently about some events coming up at Knockhill, and it hinted at a change to the layout to the first corner. Does anyone have any further info? The Knockhill.com site doesn't mention it yet.....

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby Davie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:00 pm

I've posted a question on the Knockhill Forum asking if it's true.

You can check the response here...

http://knockhill.motorsportforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=90
Davie

Postby DouglasH » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:51 am

We were told last weekend that the whole track was being resurfaced and Duffas Dip would be changed.
DouglasH

Postby Si » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:08 am

..... and sounds like the main straight is being widened too. For me, the set of corners after the main straight makes Knockhill the track that it is and I hope they don't mess around with it too much.

Thanks for posting that Davie!

Si
Si

Postby Gavin » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:34 pm

In today's Dunfermline Press they have announced the changes to Knockhill:
The pit lane and 1.3mile circuit have been re-surfaced with tarmac called 'Prix Mat'. A 3 m widened strip goes from on the inside from the rock face just after the stock car loop to half way down SEAT curves. Additional widening will be added to the outside of Scotsman corner and Clarks. Ian Forrest reckons that there can now be 3 abreast racing on the run up yo SEAT curves and the speed into it could be 20mph faster. They have also added 1000 tons of pea gravel at accident zones to increase size and depth of the existing gravel traps.

Oh and finally just so you don't bugger your suspension at the entrance they've also widened and re-surfaced the roadway too :D :D :D .
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Bowie » Thu May 25, 2006 5:10 pm

I was lucky enough to get a work day out at knockhill recently and can confirm that the road has been widened at Dufus (SEAT) but it has not ruined the corner, ok it is not quite as heart in the mouth, but the kerb on the inside is not as violent and doesn't throw the car into the air on that side. Chicane and Clarks are both widened, basically they have tarred the kerb and kerb is now where the grasscrete used to be. The track still retains its great feel and challenge.

Managed to get a couple of passanger laps with David Leslie in a Radical SR8 - 350bhp and ~500kg!!!!!!! That is one very quick machine 53s lap.

Hope to see you guys at the track night.
Cheers
Euan
Bowie
Bowie

Postby Si » Thu May 25, 2006 5:42 pm

Bowie wrote:That is one very quick machine 53s lap.

That is quick! I'd have been s***ing it ....... Did you enjoy the experience?

Si
Si

Postby Bowie » Fri May 26, 2006 8:50 am

Si

Definitely the fastest I have ever been round knock hill!! :D I had to hold onto the left edge of the seat with my right hand to keep my arms out of the way. G-force under acceleration meant that I was pinned in the seat, at the bottom of Duffes and MacKintyres the lateral G pinned me to the sides of the bucket seats and unfortunately for me I couldn't find a foot rest for the braking into the hairpin and the G had me restrained by the crotch strap (5 point harness) :oops: Not to be recommended.

Speeds - 132mph main straight, 130mph railway straight
Between the Chicane and Clarkes passed 2 Porsche Caymen S and a 997 Carrera S.
It felt fantastic and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Got to admit that I managed to get a couple of laps in the 997 Carrera S however the instructor slowed me up as I managed to catch the Caymen in front within 3/4 of a lap ( I exited the pit as Caymen dissapeared over Duffes) nice car though :wink:

See you at the track night.
Cheers
Euan
Bowie
Bowie

Return to Motorsport