3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Seen any nice 5s out on your travels? Tell us about them here....

3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby chillax » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Driving home from work (in my daily Mini Cooper) we spotted a clean looking silver MK1 Eunos at the roundabout just down from Tescos Hardengreen. You were going towards Mayfield. We were behind you most of the way, eunos looked sweet with the black roll bars. En route, there was a black MK1 parked at the side of the road in Newtongrange, then another black one further along the road! You eventually turned off near Mayfield in the silver one. Was gonna wave but thought I might look strange as I was in the mini lol.

Was excited seeing one MK1, but to see three within 3 miles was unheard of! Only seen one other mk1 down in East Lothian where I live.
Image
chillax
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm
Location: East Lothian

Re: 3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby OldSpice » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:25 am

There are more lurking than immediately evident but very few are now "daily" transport rather than summer/ad hoc "pleasure & domestic".
In the whole of Falkirk, I know of only one example I'd have any time for, but still see a few gasping their last rot wise, or mechanically suffering.
Simple reason is they are knocking on a quarter century, many with 150,000 miles plus on the clock albeit still going strong, and (in very broadbrush terms) are either sheds on their last legs getting slammed and modded by the under 25 welded diffs drift Yo Bro brigades..... or more cherished and nicely fixed up, plus a few sitting in lock ups awaiting restoration...like mine.
Give it another 5 years or so and you'll likely see more TR5's & 6s' dotting around than minty fresh Mk1's.
The days of solid & reasonably original rot free Mk1's changing hands for 6/7k+ on a regular basis are not far off..but at the moment there are plenty rot boxes which is great for spares suppliers!
In my personal opinion if someone has space, time, and the inclination towards a useable Mk1 "classic" to fix up now is the time because condition of the tub is all while the oily bits are still ten a penny but when all the barely fixable sheds are scrapped or expire at MOT's....you might wish you had.
Exceptional examples of Mk1s already overtake early to mid-life leggy Mk3 values of which there are legions of course in various stages of condition...including decay.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: 3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby drumtochty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:29 pm

There are a good selection of bits that will have to be remanufactured and as yet not convinced that all bits will be available for the MK1 and MK2's especially engine looms and other daft stuff that may become available soon or not.

Replaceing wiring looms to sort out later ecu and that includes Mk1's that had factory fitted immobilisers that are geting time expired.

Just like the problems the Sprite, MGB and TR guys are having getting bits from suppliers that are wearing out in 4000 miles. MG Midget clutch actuating levers, rotor arms, etc made from the wrong materials. Midget front wheel bearings now sorted but the only supplier of Midget front wishbones retired and not sure if anyone has started making them again, they do wear.

Then there are going to be areas in Scotland that older cars will not be allowed to drive in.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
User avatar
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae

Re: 3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby Bob the Train » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 pm

drumtochty wrote:Then there are going to be areas in Scotland that older cars will not be allowed to drive in.


What have you heard?
Bob the Train
User avatar
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: 3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby OldSpice » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:25 pm

drumtochty wrote:There are a good selection of bits that will have to be remanufactured and as yet not convinced that all bits will be available for the MK1 and MK2's especially engine looms and other daft stuff that may become available soon or not.

Replaceing wiring looms to sort out later ecu and that includes Mk1's that had factory fitted immobilisers that are geting time expired.

Just like the problems the Sprite, MGB and TR guys are having getting bits from suppliers that are wearing out in 4000 miles. MG Midget clutch actuating levers, rotor arms, etc made from the wrong materials. Midget front wheel bearings now sorted but the only supplier of Midget front wishbones retired and not sure if anyone has started making them again, they do wear.
Then there are going to be areas in Scotland that older cars will not be allowed to drive in.


Which is why on the drip I'm "collecting" stuff like a MAF, injection looms, wishbone bolts, pop up motors and such but only when I spot them going dirt cheap.
Already, my 4 PIN coil pack can be difficult, but all you need to do is get doublers for the chassis. Stuff like heater controls etc are easy, but replacing my seats with undamaged ones is impossible now. Some tan Roadster door cards are rare. I don't think gearboxes or engines are going to be an issue for a long time, there is so much interchangeability involved. As for dodgy parts and such Harley Davidson nearly went bankrupt when it bombed with bike parts being of cheese sourced in China leading to huge failures. BMW and others are allegedly fitting cheesy bearings & other "stuff" sourced more locally for it's massive Shenyang factories, as I'd imagine so will Volvo.
I've already fallen foul trying to be a cheap skate over recent years fitting "blue box" odds and sods...it just is not worth it.
My mantra is either OEM, or off a scrapper. I've fitted "refurbed" rear wishbones last years to SWMBO's Mk2.5 from Autolink, and they were better than new being re-bushed and Hammerited.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: 3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 am

OldSpice wrote:The days of solid & reasonably original rot free Mk1's changing hands for 6/7k+ on a regular basis are not far off..


May be closer than you think buddy :wink:

Got any use for an oem airbox (just box & filter), rear mudflaps or an oem clutch, used but still life left in it (changed mine when doing the release bearing)?

Free to a good home.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, and a 1991 V-Special...Now in a Bongo!!
71NotOut
User avatar
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Bilston

Re: 3 mk1 mx5's in Midlothian on Wednesday 19/9/18

Postby OldSpice » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 pm

71NotOut wrote:
OldSpice wrote:The days of solid & reasonably original rot free Mk1's changing hands for 6/7k+ on a regular basis are not far off..


May be closer than you think buddy :wink:

Got any use for an oem airbox (just box & filter), rear mudflaps or an oem clutch, used but still life left in it (changed mine when doing the release bearing)?

Free to a good home.

Yes, but yours was a rare one-of-a kind!
As for your bits, afraid not. Mine is Auto remember, and I've got everything else on your we list.
On the other hand, any oddities transferrable to a 93 1840cc you come across let me know.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 pm


Return to Spotted!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron