Mazda Zoom Zoom Event

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

Mazda Zoom Zoom Event

Postby 71NotOut » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Sunday morning, and me and the Mrs have a bairn-free morning (left with Mother-In-Law on Sat night).

Normally this would result in a long lie, but not today, today we are up at 7am, crazy! Not for the Boness Hill Climb tho, today we have a date with Mazda and their Zoom Zoom Weekend event up at Cameron House Hotel, Loch Lomond.

A quick look out the window is met with blue skies - happy days! Cuppa, then it's out onto the M8 to work our way towards Loch Lomond.

The motorway part of the journey remained roof up so as to save Mrs H a severe buffeting, but once across the Erskine Bridge, we dropped the roof for the remainder of the journey.

Pulling into the car park, we met a couple with a nice red Mk1 and the 4 of us were then chauffered up to the hotel by a nice man from Mazda in a CX7.

We then registered, and being one of the first to arrive, meant we had our pick of the cars. I settled on a 2.0 Sport-Tech in metallic red.

Some tea whilst we wait for everyone to arrive and then the safety talk, then it's out to the cars - they looked lovely, parked in a crescent around a central fountain outside the main entrance to the hotel.

One by one we all exited the hotel, out onto the A82 and our route took us along the A82, onto the A83 and a stop in the car park at the Rest & Be Thankful. The weather had clouded over by this point, but average speed over 40mph meant any raindrops went straight over our heads. Mrs H was nice and cosy, having her heated seat up at full power!

The car itself was a nice drive, obviously I couldn't push it too hard (speed camera vans about, and reps from Mazda following here and there for support) but it certainly felt quite surefooted. One gripe was that every time I changed gear, as I depressed the clutch, the left edge of my trainer would hit the footrest.

The car was well specced with leather, climate, cruise and more importantly came with 2 free bottles of water and 2 packets of sweeties :D

After 10 mins stop we returned to the Cameron House retracing our route from the first half. I did have 2 guys from Mazda following me in a Mazda3 MPS and did consider heading off-route to give them a scare but thought better of it ;)

Returning to the Cameron House, we were shown through to the restaurant for lunch which was lovely! I had the St Brides Chicken, Mrs H had Organic Shetland Salmon and we both followed this with a Pear Tatin - nom nom.

We thanked all the guys for their great hospitality and headed off. I got some sneaky photos of my Montana next to some of the new models before we departed.

The home journey diverted thru Carluke, Carnwath and Dolphinton as it is more scenic, and suited to the 5 - the sun came out again for the drive which sealed the day.

We left with a lovely brochure celebrating 20 years of the MX5.

So a nice driving experience, lovely food and all courtesy of Mazda - no hard sell (no sales people at the event!) which was a pleasant surprise and it has only reinforced my opinion of the marque.

Anyway, that's enough words, here are some photos:

Cheers,
Steven

Our drive for the day:

Up at the Rest & Be Thankful:

Me posing:

My Montana with some younger relatives:

Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Mazda Zoom Zoom Event

Postby PaulDS » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Great photos Steven 8)

Looks like you had great weather too
PaulDS

Postby havoc1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am

Great pics matey - how do you get onto one of these events?

Also, can you tell me, does your 03 Montana have the bigger Mk2.5 sport brakes?

cheers
havoc1

Postby 71NotOut » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 am

Somone on Pistonheads mentioned it - advertised on the main Mazda website.

I believe my Montana does NOT run the big brake setup.

Cheers
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Pram » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks for posting that. I was going to go but after a hellish long week we decided that a 6am start from Aberdeen was not on the cards so emailed to cancel my registration. Looked good though.
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Return to Central Scotland