Planning Meeting suggestions..Coast to Coast, etc..etc

Discussion about events organised by the Central Scotland region.
[Please do not cross-post]

Planning Meeting suggestions..Coast to Coast, etc..etc

Postby DouglasH » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:23 pm

If you have any suggestions of Runs or Events for next year, you can post them here or come along to the meeting Sunday 16th January.

Recap on what suggestions we have so far, before the web servers decided to rewind 4 days.

Coast to Coast run...possibly Eyemouth to Portpatrick, lots of miles so could even be a weekend event, consider East meets West , have some kind of quirky or fun element built in.

Erskine Bridge to Forth Bridge avoiding the M8 totally.

Monthly Pub meets...a chance to talk about the cars with like minded people, hopefully attract younger members to the club, meet somewhere central but keep venue secure as possible.

Track days at Knockhill and Kames

Karting

If there's anything else I have missed post it.
DouglasH

Postby DouglasH » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:36 pm

Ok this was the last item I posted in the wee small hours, so probably no one would have read it anyway.

Si...I'm quite happy to run with the Pub meets for a while to see how they pan out, we could start off with a Central location and if, come what May or at least the light nights, there's enough interest, we could have meets East and West so that after the chat is over we could go for a short blast over the Campsie / Fintry or Lammermuir / Pentland Hills for example, before heading home. :D
DouglasH

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:35 am

As long as no pubs are suggested that Si is barred from :)
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby inddigo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:35 am

Prolly most of them then :)

Andy
Andy and Jo
Zoomette '96 Eunos VR Ltd 1.8
Zoom II '03 MX-5 Supreme Blue 1.8 Sport gone to...
Zoom '94 MX-5 BRG 1.8 Sport - Now gone....
inddigo

Postby Hardtrack » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:26 pm

:lol: I heard he's quite the firework after a few lager shandy's :shock: :shock:.I was once a doorman and came across a few of these....but gave up after getting a pin in my right hand after a couple of breakages :roll:
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby grouse » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:46 pm

I like the "Bridges" theme...

There're many Scottish bridges which could feature in a run or two - ranging from the better known to the lesser known - but, nevertheless, interesting.

Forth, Tay, Erskine, Skye, Inverness... down to the Atlantic (very small, but does cross an "ocean"!)

I also fancy another "Island" run - maybe Arran or Mull - the road to Iona is interesting...

I would support most of the ideas already proposed, but think wives might struggle to get excited about track days...

Anyway, we can but try! :)
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby don.b » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:39 pm

What about a day at the Skid Pan....there used to be one near West Calder, and you don't have to use your MX5.

You get to beat up an already beaten up Sierra or Mondeo
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby Si » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:17 pm

grouse wrote:I would support most of the ideas already proposed, but think wives might struggle to get excited about track days...

Probably in the same way that some of us struggle to get excited about always going on a Sunday run and lunching for an hour or two :roll:

The point that I've been trying to make is that different people want different things from the club and it should at least try and cater for the different interests that people have.

Christ, I wouldn't be persuing as much if I didn't like the people in the club ....... it's not JUST about the car!

Si
.:- 1997 1.8iS Mk1 (BRP MP62 Supercharged) [SOLD]
.:- 2000 1.6i Mk2 Isola [SOLD]
Si

Postby DouglasH » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:47 pm

What about a day at the Skid Pan

See... there you go again Don with that toilet humour :lol: :lol:

Seriously though Skid Pan's are on my list, so if anyone has any details of good ones, let me know.

As are 4x4 courses, sort of 'Lets get dirty and have some fun' day. 8)
DouglasH

Postby DouglasH » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:57 pm

Thanks Grouse for suggestions...have often spoke about the Arran trip, problem is once you have driven around the island then back across the string road there's nowt left, only option would be to go via Ardrossan ferry, spend 1 night on Arran then lap the island, cross over the wee ferry to Skipness then stay another night around Campbeltown before heading back, all very well and would be great but could be really expensive.
DouglasH

Postby grouse » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:41 am

Pauline and I did the Mull of Kintyre trip last year in the '5' - travelled via Dunoon, Portavadie Ferry, stayed at Clachan, back via Inveraray, etc.

Scenery/roads good, weather not too bad, food fantastic, reasonable cost (bar bill excepted) - I'm sure some of these out-of-the-way hotels would be happy to negotiate? The owner at the Ballinakill drove 20 miles to get me a lobster! And didn't charge any extra!

We did the Mull/Iona trip this year - leaving the '5' in Oban - and vowing to do the trip again, taking the '5' this time, and staying overnight at Tobermory, or similar.

I guess we'll do these in '05 - maybe we'd find others who'd been thinking about it?

With the ideas coming forward we're bound to find something to appeal to a wider audience - after all who would have thought the 'midnight sun' run would do so well?
Grouse

Another fine example of
"low-flying technology!"
grouse

Postby Hardtrack » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:05 am

Theres a 4x4 place on the Irvine/Barrhead road just past Burnhouse Douglas.I'm sure you have saw it............they do a 4x4 experience,no idea how much though,but seems to be popular.
95 G-Ltd 1.8
Hardtrack

Postby don.b » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:45 pm

There is a 4x4 place in Luggiebank, near Cumbernauld as well.

You can see it from the main road, but I've never seen anyone use it.
"My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic."

email: mx-5@blueyonder.co.uk
don.b

Postby murwilson » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:44 pm

grouse wrote:We did the Mull/Iona trip this year - leaving the '5' in Oban - and vowing to do the trip again, taking the '5' this time, and staying overnight at Tobermory, or similar.

I guess we'll do these in '05 - maybe we'd find others who'd been thinking about it?

With the ideas coming forward we're bound to find something to appeal to a wider audience - after all who would have thought the 'midnight sun' run would do so well?

Lynne and I are interested in these, and other, Island drives.

Mur
Hers - '08 Stormy Blue MK3 Sport, factory lowered, k&n filter, Toyo Proxes PX4, I.L. Motorsports stainless exhaust.
http://www.mymx5.org
His - '08 Deep Bronze Civic Type R. Standard. It's a hooligan!
murwilson

Postby Richardn » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:45 am

Dreadnought Garage have 7 track days planned for next year at Knockhill

We are welcome to join in,

They usually have some MGF and TVR attending. A good mix for 5s

They are

6-8pm

Friday 15th April
Tuesday 3rd May
Thursday 2nd June
Tuesday 21st June
Friday 15th July
Thursday 11th August
Thursday 1st September
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Si » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:28 pm

Do you know how much they are charging Richard? I seem to remember them being quite expensive last year for a session they organised.

Si
Si

Postby Richardn » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:10 am

Was ?45 last year.

Didn't think that was too bad. Well organised and a well disciplined bunch of drivers
Mk3 2.0 sport & Mk1 California 217/300
Richardn
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Si » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:07 pm

?45? I hope that was for a four hour session!

At our last ss-R session I think it was ?47 for four hours and there were only two red flags. Driver etituitte was excellent and no major offs. (A Pug did lose a tyre ... his own fault ..... and another pug lost power)

Get them to reduce their prices and they'll be inundated.

Si
Si

Postby DouglasH » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:18 am

If anyone would like to suggest an event or like to lead a run but not wishing to post on here or can't manage to the meeting, please email / pm myself or Graeme and we will add it to the Agenda.

We have only had one nomination for the vacant Co-ordinators post, if there are any others please forward them to us.
DouglasH

Postby DouglasH » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:38 am

Thanks to all for attending and contributing to the Planning Meeting on Sunday. Looks like we are going to have a busy year ahead, lots of events planned and no doubt many more will crop up, apologies to all if this has prompted an earlier than normal family holiday discussion :lol:

One slight ammendment from the dates discussed on Sunday, Mino will now kindly do the Fife Run on 13th March and Phil will do the Ayrshire Treasure Hunt on the 17th April.

Could I ask you to register an interest if you would like to go to any of the three weekend events..Easter in York, Skye & Localsh or Arran & Campbeltown.
A few facts and figures to share with you from last years events:-
70 different members/Cars attended 22 events. :D
Highest turn out was 25 cars for the Callander Classics. :D
Lowest turn out (not counting impromtu) 8 cars. :)
DouglasH

Return to Central Scotland