Help - rust in my rear wheel arches

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Help - rust in my rear wheel arches

Postby lugscuz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Help please

I have a 2003 vt-sport and have just noticed that she is starting to rust at the rear wheel arches -
What is the best thing to do?
I have been looking after her well but am at a loss of what to do to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Thank you
lugscuz

Postby drumtochty » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38 pm

There are basically three stages of M2 / Mk2.5 MX5's

Not showing rust in the rear arches
Showing rust in the rear arches
Repaired rear arches.

There is no way to prevent it as it is a design fault where three pannels are welded together.

You either rub it down and repaint on say once a year basis. Never perfect but it will work for a year or two.

You get a pro paint job done. It will look better but how long will it last.

There are those who say you have to cut the metal out as it is rusting from the inside. Say £1,500 never got a quote

I am doing the rub down and retouch job on my 1999 MK2 but it is a third car and it's not a problem as I intend to try to keep it at bay. If it is your daily transport. I think you may have an expensive job to get it fixed to a standard that you would be happy with.

You could report it to Mazda but I think they only repair if it has made a hole and has the Mazda bodywork inspection been kept up.

Not a good reply at all!!!

eddie
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iainf » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:48 pm

When 2003?

These things not have a 6 year anti corrosion warranty?

If out of the 6 years, you could try for some warranty support

if this has been in a main dealer any time recently they should have picked this up in body inspection.

Hope that might come good for you.
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby lugscuz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks for all your help

Ill give the mazda dealer a call in the morning to see if they can help

Think that warranty that you mentioned may have elapsed as it is an 03 plate that I have - will check my owners doc tonight

Thanks again
lugscuz

Re: Help - rust in my rear wheel arches

Postby Danny » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Had my 2004 Sport at the main dealers yesterday for its 6 year service and body inspection. The service department pronounced the bodywork "all clear" but on examining the car closely this morning noticed signs of bubbling paintwork above both rear wheel arches. The car's actually got about one week to go before the 6-year warranty is up. Is it worth attempting a claim under the bodywork warranty for this? My previous experience of Mazda's warranty policy suggest it would be a complete waste of time. Any comments?
2004 1.8i Sport - Strato Blue Mica
Danny

Postby Stonehaven » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:58 pm

My RX-8 had its arches done and a new boot lid when just under 6 with no issues. There wasn't even any bubbling, just a tiny bit of corrosion showing on the inner lip of the arch - worth asking for a repair.
Porsche 997 C4S and Range Rover TDV8 - but no 5 for now
past: 95 Mazdaspeed B Spec MS13, R Ltd, 96 Gleneagles, 91 1.6 (killed), 95 California x2, 90G 1.6 + 5 more 5s

OC Member No. 3068
Stonehaven

Postby BestGear » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Danny wrote:Had my 2004 Sport at the main dealers yesterday for its 6 year service and body inspection. The service department pronounced the bodywork "all clear" but on examining the car closely this morning noticed signs of bubbling paintwork above both rear wheel arches. The car's actually got about one week to go before the 6-year warranty is up. Is it worth attempting a claim under the bodywork warranty for this? My previous experience of Mazda's warranty policy suggest it would be a complete waste of time. Any comments?

Given you have warranty remaining and signs of rust, I would be on their doorstep waiting for them to open on monday morning!

I would also have a good look over the car, as if the dealer missed the number one spot for rust then heaven knows what else they missed...

David
BestGear

Postby Cheezey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:06 pm

After the harsh winter my arches are suffering slightly too. I was considering leaving it until I saw this on Retro Rides: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=80533

I popped into see Jimmy Blair at the back of the retail park in Falkirk on my way home from work the other day as its a two minute detour.

He gave me two quotes. For £150 he would rub it back, treat, skim of fibre glass and paint both sides but offered no guarantee of it lasting. For £300-400 he would do it properly.
Cheezey

Postby iainf » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Cheezey wrote: For £150 he would rub it back, treat, skim of fibre glass and paint both sides but offered no guarantee of it lasting. For £300-400 he would do it properly.

This first solution would be a waste of time and money
Iain Fleming
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BestGear » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 pm

THAT IS ONE HELL OF A SCARRY THREAD!

I hope mine are not like that, and it also shows how much more damage can be done when someone repairs the sill and blocks the original drain holes.

Everyone debating if they should do something about checking or fixing their sills should read that thread!

David
BestGear

Postby flood » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:30 pm

good link. I'll be out tomorrow clearing my drain holes!
1993 S-Limited Eunos Roadster.
flood
OC Member

Postby Danny » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 pm

Danny wrote:Had my 2004 Sport at the main dealers yesterday for its 6 year service and body inspection. The service department pronounced the bodywork "all clear" but on examining the car closely this morning noticed signs of bubbling paintwork above both rear wheel arches. The car's actually got about one week to go before the 6-year warranty is up. Is it worth attempting a claim under the bodywork warranty for this? My previous experience of Mazda's warranty policy suggest it would be a complete waste of time. Any comments?

Well, what d'ya know, Mazda has rejected the claim. paper/not/written/on/the/worth/it's - Re-arrange into a well-known phrase or saying! :roll:
Danny

Postby BestGear » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi

Very sorry to hear that they have rejected it.

Can you share on what grounds they have rejected your claim for warranty assistance?

David
BestGear

Postby Danny » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:39 am

By relying entirely on the small print. Despite the car having a main dealer service history from new, Mazda claimed the service book was not stamped "correctly" and now that the warranty has actually expired, Mazda is able to claim smugly: "the vehicle is now outside warranty". I'll probably end up paying for the necessary repairs myself as I'm obviously wasting my time with Mazda. I get the impression that Japanese cars in general have a viable life span of about seven years, then you're supposed to throw it away and buy a new one.
Danny

Postby iainf » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:42 am

The service book being stamped incorrectly... that is not your fault. The dealers rarely stamp the body inspection part, but I think you'll find it is in the service guidelines - ask to see them.

If the service history is good and in your ownership been maintained with Mazda, who have failed to spot this in a body inspection as per their own guidelines I would be questioning the 'not been stamped correctly'

I would be going right back to them, never accept the first offer (in this case eff off) if you end up with a partial contribution to the repair then any effort is worth it.

If you commenced your discussion while the vehicle was in warranty then this remains ongoing until you as their customer, are satisfied.

Danny don't give up on this one, if they offer a warranty and you have done all you can to look after the car then they should be honouring it... Enough cars will get through the net, they have to fix the odd one.
Iain Fleming
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 am

Even if the Dealer agrees to fix it they won't do it properly making the "tip of the iceberg" visually acceptable to get you out the door. Nothing less than remetalling & injection of the cavities and remetalling these stupid triple seamed rust traps will afford a lasting repair. Funny that, since they only agree to warranty work judged to be inside-to-surface perforation. That's why repair sections are a growing business!

They will probably just "bare metal" the area (but corrosion travels through pin prick perforations barely visible to the human eye) & spit the paint on which may, with some luck, last around 18months depending on how the car is used. By then, the real rot has taken hold. Between £250.00 to £500.00 per side is needed to rebuild, since by then the rot may have travelled along the inner cills to the door shut lines...at least.

It may be superficial chip damage, though most unlikely. Best to check the inner seams in the bootlid especially around the boot light apertures...another former "warranty" rot spot. When rot takes hold, they are a gonner unless caught early and drenched with Dinitrol or similar. Check the front chassis rails, bottoms of front wings & power steering pipes because if rust proofing is in the offing, might as well do it all.

Check all 4 drainholes are clear otherwise water will end up sloshing around inside the cills.
Mazda had the cheek a few years back to supply dealers with showroom handouts depicting low sections of Mk2/Mk2.5's as galvanised! :lol:
Ask most competent body guys and they will say.."give me new steel or it will come back"

I'd have thought Mazda could have done better so late in a car's development but by a good few accounts the Mk3 brigade have "got theirs coming" too.
There is always one more imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Supermarket carpark.
OldSpice

Postby IanH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:34 am

OldSpice wrote:
I'd have thought Mazda could have done better so late in a car's development but by a good few accounts the Mk3 brigade have "got theirs coming" too.

I've not seen this yet, do you have some references? Would be interested in seeing where it's appearing.
MX-5 Owners Club
Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

5 Pics...http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/IanH1962/Five#
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Grampian Coordinator

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am

Sure.
In Mx5 Community, if you "Search" or trawl the NC section you will find stories alluding to boot/bonnet hinge & web "powdering"(alloy rot in other words), front wing indicator light wing rust, bulkhead rust behind the dash.... possibly allied to the "famous" leaks. Perhaps before the launch of the new PND riddled format so God knows if they are still there!

Just a sample: :(
http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/Room/Topic/?topicId=14696

Pardon the :offtopic2: OP.
Last edited by OldSpice on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is always one more imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Supermarket carpark.
OldSpice

Postby IanH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:36 am

Ah OK, yes am aware of all of those to some degree, it was if there was approaching evidence in the wing/sill areas that would ring alarm bells.

Must say my MK3 is now at the same age that my MK 2.5 had started looking bad in some areas (4 1/2 years :shock: ) and is looking much better :D
Last edited by IanH on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX-5 Owners Club
Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

5 Pics...http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/IanH1962/Five#
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Grampian Coordinator

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby BestGear » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Danny wrote:By relying entirely on the small print.

I think your case is strong, and stronger if its been the same dealer in your ownership:

The fault was reported by you while in warranty
    The mazda dealership missed the problem
    The mazda dealer did not perform the check when they certainly should have if following Mazda service guidelines
    The car has a full mazda history
    The mazda dealership (and possibly previous) did not perform or mark up the checks, again, not following mazda guidelines

You the consumer are not the one that should know enough to check these things - its their negligence to omit these tasks.

If its the same dealership since new, then I really think you have a very strong case.

I wonder if the centralised mazda service records do record a dealer performing the bodywork inspection - as they may have claimed for the time during the service!

Has anyone asked for a full print out of the service records associated with their car? I have for several other marques and it makes interesting reading...and dont let them fb you off with data protection excuses - the DPA only applies to identifiable living entities...

Why not speak to mazda UK? they must have a helpline (help may be the wrong term here...)

David
BestGear

Next

Return to General Chat